OTL tube amp and pre-amp budget $400-800
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking for OTL tube amp and pre-amp for my headphones and powered speakers.

I need it to excel at soundstaging and imaging.
Current contenders are MD X Eddie current ZDT jr and the schiit valhalla 2

I don't know what's the next upgrade for those amps as I mentioned the budget is $400-800 and I will be driving 300ohm headphones with it.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 9
Check out the Feliks Audio Echo.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Well haven’t heard the ZDT Jr but have the Valhalla 2 as I owned one several years ago and did not like it much but that is me. I have heard a Eddie Current Zana Duex and it was quite very good but have not heard the ZDT Jr so can’t say.

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Check out the Feliks Audio Echo.

thanks for the suggestion, the power output specs is low for all of their products, at which ohm do they measure it?
I listen to a lot of classical and I need some power for those quiet tracks.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Don't let those output numbers fool you. I run 32 ohm headphones through my Feliks amps and can get extreme volume. I am not sure how Feliks does it, but they do.Reading the reviews it seems to kill the Schiit, but I have not read any comparison to the Eddie.

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 9
thanks for the suggestion, the power output specs is low for all of their products, at which ohm do they measure it?
I listen to a lot of classical and I need some power for those quiet tracks.
I listen to primarily classical / instrumental music and can attest that the Elise with stock tubes is more than adequate to drive my 300 ohm Auteur, volume pot. rarely > 1/3 with black background on quiet passages. Hope this is helpful, although of course YMMV.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Not sure where on the financial spectrum you are looking to stay, but, if you are trying to be more frugalish, the Darkvoice 336SE is a very good value at its price-point and does well with some thoughtful tube rolling. FWIW.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 9
The ZDT Jr. does not have preamp outputs, it's pass through only! Meaning you can't control the volume on your powered speakers with the volume knob!

Edit:

Forgot to mention the ZDT jr. also isn't an OTL. It's transformer coupled.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 9
I listen to primarily classical / instrumental music and can attest that the Elise with stock tubes is more than adequate to drive my 300 ohm Auteur, volume pot. rarely > 1/3 with black background on quiet passages. Hope this is helpful, although of course YMMV.
I listen to primarily classical rock, acoustic jazz, soul, hip hop and can attest that the Eddie Current Jr. with new tubes is a pleasure to listen to, though it's not the most resolving or bass giving of my amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back