OTL amp budget $1000-1800
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I am looking for names and recommendations for an otl amp in the price range of $1000-1800 for my ZMF Verite.

I want it to have great dynamics, soundstage and imaging.

The amps I know are the Feliks audio Euforia and Glenn OTL.

I am planning to get the Euforia because I can't wait 4 months for Glenn otl.

Any other suggestions are welcome. ❤

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 30
Maybe save some cash and get the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 30
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 30
I still need more names besides Glenn's, Feliks and Woo audio

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 30
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 30
Aug 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 30
Hello everyone.

I am looking for names and recommendations for an otl amp in the price range of $1000-1800 for my ZMF Verite.

I want it to have great dynamics, soundstage and imaging.

The amps I know are the Feliks audio Euforia and Glenn OTL.

I am planning to get the Euforia because I can't wait 4 months for Glenn otl.

Any other suggestions are welcome. ❤

Mind describing a little more on what you’re looking for?

If you're looking for a used Euforia it may fit in your budget. Otherwise new, it's out of the price range you set. If the Elise is anything like the Euforia, that will definitely fall in line with what you'd like to spend.

Euforia is a great amp but with the tubes I've tried on it: 5998, 6080, 7234, 6AS7G - it still had a much smaller sound stage than the Glenn OTL. Has a forward sound signature. The Euforia's strengths are in clarity/cleanliness of the sound.

Glenn OTL has better depth, layering, and body to the sound. It's more transparent to tube roll changes than the Euforia. Dyamics are a give and take between both. Euforia has better microdynamics but the swings, and macro dynamics of the GOTL is fantastic. GOTL has more meat on the bones when it comes to note density.

Personally I preferred the GOTL to the Euforia when it came down to it but both are excellent. Do you prefer a more meaty sound then wait for a GOTL. Do you prefer a more neutral sound then go for the Euforia.

The Oblivion has faster and more neutral sound compared to either amp. It has stronger transients than either amp. Bigger sound stage than the Euforia but smaller than the GOTL. It’s more neutral than either amp but a tad more body as the Euforia. I prefer the Verite with suede pads on this amp.

Other OTL amps that could be considered:
EC ZDT Jr (You'll get the OTL sound, it's cheap, and will give you a taste of what an OTL will sound like. Then possibly decide what you're more you want out of an amp and look to jump)
Bottlehead Crack with SB Upgrade

If you're looking for amps a bit different than OTL:
Used A&S Kenzie (or stretch for a new one)
Dragon Inspire IHA-1

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 30
There is also the La Figaro 339 which is an OTL. If you buy used or from Massdrop, it can be cheaper than $1000. If buying new from Yuking directly, I believe it is around $900 w/shipping from China to the US.

I used to own the 339,and while it was good,it wasnt in the same league as a Glenn or a WA2,or some of the other amps being mentioned here.
If the OP had a budget under a grand,I'd give a hard look at the 339,but he can get better with his budget.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 30
The WA2 is such a striking looking amplifier. To me, just as a piece of desk art the price is almost justified. It just happens to sound very lovely, too.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 30
Is there a reason why it has to be an OTL amp? Disappointing experiences with other tube amp topologies?

The Oblivion is an hybrid and the ZDT jr is transformer coupled as far as I know.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 30
Maybe try this thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/oblivion-ultrasonic-studios.902926/

@Phantaminum wrote a review of it vs. the Glenn. Perhaps he can provide further thoughts.

Thanks a lot for bringing this amp! it looks lovely

Mind describing a little more on what you’re looking for?

If you're looking for a used Euforia it may fit in your budget. Otherwise new, it's out of the price range you set. If the Elise is anything like the Euforia, that will definitely fall in line with what you'd like to spend.

Euforia is a great amp but with the tubes I've tried on it: 5998, 6080, 7234, 6AS7G - it still had a much smaller sound stage than the Glenn OTL. Has a forward sound signature. The Euforia's strengths are in clarity/cleanliness of the sound.

Glenn OTL has better depth, layering, and body to the sound. It's more transparent to tube roll changes than the Euforia. Dyamics are a give and take between both. Euforia has better microdynamics but the swings, and macro dynamics of the GOTL is fantastic. GOTL has more meat on the bones when it comes to note density.

Personally I preferred the GOTL to the Euforia when it came down to it but both are excellent. Do you prefer a more meaty sound then wait for a GOTL. Do you prefer a more neutral sound then go for the Euforia.

The Oblivion has faster and more neutral sound compared to either amp. It has stronger transients than either amp. Bigger sound stage than the Euforia but smaller than the GOTL. It’s more neutral than either amp but a tad more body as the Euforia. I prefer the Verite with suede pads on this amp.

Other OTL amps that could be considered:
EC ZDT Jr (You'll get the OTL sound, it's cheap, and will give you a taste of what an OTL will sound like. Then possibly decide what you're more you want out of an amp and look to jump)
Bottlehead Crack with SB Upgrade

If you're looking for amps a bit different than OTL:
Used A&S Kenzie (or stretch for a new one)
Dragon Inspire IHA-1

I am looking for an amp with wide SS and layered imaging with great macro dynamics.
Thanks for the comparison it's very helpful and I think I will go with the US Citadel (the Oblivion big brother)

Is there a reason why it has to be an OTL amp? Disappointing experiences with other tube amp topologies?

The Oblivion is an hybrid and the ZDT jr is transformer coupled as far as I know.

It seems an OTL will fit my bill but I think I will go with the Citadel hybrid amp.

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #15 of 30
I used to own the 339,and while it was good,it wasnt in the same league as a Glenn or a WA2,or some of the other amps being mentioned here.
If the OP had a budget under a grand,I'd give a hard look at the 339,but he can get better with his budget.

Well, with it being slightly cheaper; one could pickup the amp and a bunch of great tubes all within budget. So, I figured I would mention it as another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back