Other (expensive or otherwise) hobbies?
Jun 4, 2002 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
jlo mein's post on this thread made me think: hey, what other hobbies do head-fiers have?

Me personally, I just got into the fishkeeping hobby, and I'm loving it! I just set up a 20 gallon tropical freshwater tank in my bedroom, but I want a bigger one already. And it's turning out to be far more expensive than I ever thought it would be! Exactly the same thing I thought about the audio hobby...

*sigh*.. me and my wallet-emptying hobbies...
redface.gif

Jun 4, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 42
"Cheap hobby" is the ultimate oxymoron. There have been numerous threads on this topic. Just be content in the fact that the economy is fueled by the things that we want, rather than what we merely need.

Fish are interesting. I don't keep them, but I have spent a few tons of money swimming with them. You really get an appreciation for hydrodynamics when you are hanging onto a rock pinacle at 80 ft depth in current that makes your hoses buzz and your mask try to peel off, meanwhile there is a collection of BIG fishies 20 ft away that are barely moving a fin to remain stationary. It is a good thing that our ears don't work well under water, because I just know that they are laughing their tails off at us clumsey visitors. Amusing to wonder who is watching who down there. In this situation I always write down, on my slate, the particular type of fish that is making me feel like a fool. That way I know what to have for dinner that night!
biggrin.gif

gerG

Jun 4, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 42
Well lets list why I have no money.

1. Audio/Video nut.

2. I am also a gear head, I buy a lot of stuff for my car.

3. Computers, one of my less expensive hobbies.

4. Movies, Music, Books, Games, and Magazines.

5. Fly fishhing, rods aren't cheap.

6. Lastly I play pool, as in billiards.

Jun 4, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 42
get your ham ticket!
shiny buttons to push and knobs to turn, lots of wattage, you can go ss or tubes. well...there's antenna to think about, but hey! we use headphones!
lol...
md

Jun 4, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 42
I always said Golf was too expensive, so I took up Bass Fishing.

I could have bought my own Golf Course. Also just about any dream audio system.

Boats, rods, reels, lures, electronics, gas, oil, line, licences, tow vehicles, gas, and on and on and on.

Still, there's nothing quite like driving a high performance water rocket, and chasing a dumb but very wiley prey that you can't really see can be fun or frutration. Even with the best depth (fish) finders, all you know is there are probably fish there.

My boat is named "SANITY". One good 60+ MPH run down the lake, and every bit of "civilzations" frutrations are blown right out of my head. Something that no music can ever do, at least not as well.

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 42
Wanna talk expensive? Try photography. It makes this look like a pauper's hobby!

In addition, I play guitar and do the computer geek thing for a living.

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 42
I shoot trap (those little clay things that fly in the air when you yell "Pull!") once a week.

I've never shot anything alive - I figure there's enough grocery stores around - but I love blasting the s*#! out of those damn little things.

It's not as cheap as golf to get started - you can spend >$1000 on a decent shotgun (and up to $30K for a really ornate Krighoff or Perazzi) and a box of shells is $5 a throw. You have to pay for the tragets as well.

It's still cheaper than golf and fishin!

ok,
erix

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 42
I had a sailboat until the kids got to a point that they did not want to crew anymore. The $ per nautical mile must have been tremendous. Tack the word Marine on any item and the price skyrockets.

Is having kids like a hobby? Nothing else comes close to the cost of them. Out of state tuition and all the rest that goes with it.

Oh well it is only money

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 42
building/overclocking computers can get expensive (for me anyway). i know it's really sad, but i'm dying to get a pentium 4 northwood 1.6a chip and then spend $200 building a watercooling system for it so i can run it at 3ghz. you know you're pretty sad when you spend more on cooling than you do on your processor.
smily_headphones1.gif

also, i should own stock in bn.com by now. i buy way too many: books, cds, dvds

oh and does anybody here consider a girlfriend to be a hobby?
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
oh and does anybody here consider a girlfriend to be a hobby?
evil_smiley.gif

Just don't tell her that, unless you are feeling daring.

My current really expensive hobby is getting ready to go to college. I have already spent $2300 on a laptop and now I need to start saving for books and such. The fact that I don't have a job at the moment is also a problem.

I think the problem is that most people don't see audio as a hobby, so they think it is rediculously expensive. They don't think twice about my friend's plan to spend $2700 on a new acustic guitar and amp, but if they find out that my headphones cost so much they flip out.

Jun 4, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 42
I really like movies and try to see as many as I can either in the theater or at home. Over 500 movies on VHS tape, LaserDisc and DVD now. That's just crazy!! Behind Enemy Lines on DVD this past weekend was awesome! So was Star Wars at the theater.

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 42
Boat: Noun

A collection of individual components, some of which individually will float in water and many of which will not.

However, when assembled into a single device known colloquially as a "BOAT", these components definitely will not float, despite the haggard and harried owner throwing huge sums of money in a frequently vain attempt to make it do so.

Still ain't nothin' funner 'specially a Bass Boat. And that ain't "BASS" as in "Low Frequencies" That's BASS as in them really irritating, mouthy, finny critters.

Jun 4, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 42
My most expensive hobby was ignoring tax-related mail - at least until I couldn't afford it any longer, which was just recently... <sigh>
wink.gif
And then there's this bad consumer electronics collectitis, I have - I guess, that could be at least partly declared as a hobby... hopefully... uhm...
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Dont get me wrong: I'm a good tax-payer - but as a tax-declarator I fail miserably...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back