OT: "When your up to your ass in alligators"
Mar 14, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by NickG
Does anyone know the end of this expression? I am trying like hell to remember but I just can't put my finger on it.

Regards, Nick

Try typing the subject line into Google...

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS

Try typing the subject line into Google...

smily_headphones1.gif

I did not think of Google, thanks. Here is the answer:

"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that you are there to merely drain the swamp."

Mar 16, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 8
The only thing I could think of (I tried to remember before I scrolled down) was "...don't bend over" or "...don't drop your pants" or "...bad time to show off your new alligator skin shoes." But then I remembered it was "...it's too late to drain the swamp." At least that's the way I was taught it (same difference).

Mar 16, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by NickG

I did not think of Google, thanks. Here is the answer:

"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that you are there to merely drain the swamp."

Really close. What I've always heard is "It's hard to remember you're there to drain the swamp." Leave out the merely. Alabama/Florida version where we have more 'Gators than anywhere else.

1 closer to the Cosmic.

Mar 16, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 8
bizzare. can't say I have ever heard that one before....

but I guess maybe that is because I don't live in an area with many alligators? or swamps?

I think I get the point, but I think I am still confused as to what a person whould want to be doing in a swamp.

Driftwood

Mar 16, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
bizzare. can't say I have ever heard that one before....

but I guess maybe that is because I don't live in an area with many alligators? or swamps?

I think I get the point, but I think I am still confused as to what a person whould want to be doing in a swamp.

Driftwood

In Florida, a bunch of Damnyankees came down and got a bunch of Swamp Land from the government. They were able to get the land in exchange for developing roads or railroads in other parts of the state, 3/4's of which were not completed, but they got the land anyway.

Then they got America's Greatest Environmental Terrorists, The Army Corps of Engineers, to drain the swamp land so they could sell it to unsuspecting, dumb, other Damnyankees.

They dug a few canals to get most of the water off the land. They then turned around and sold it to other, stupider, Damnyankees who built houses on it. The problem is, they only drained the surface water. They did not provide for any drainage from rain, or even heavy dew. And then what ever run off areas, catchment areas there were, they paved.

Now a good heavy dew causes flooding and the Damnyankees want the goverment to fix it.

So now they're trying to figure out how to drain it to keep from flooding. Meanwhile, we keep seeding it with alligators to try to make Damnyankees an endangered species.

If you get the impression I'm SLIGHTLY bitter about the destruction of God's Own Paradise, South Florida, you may be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back