Ostry Kc09 Vs it01 Vs fh1 Vs tk13

1. Nabillion_786
    Hi,I need serious help. Im looking for an upgrade over my rock jaw Alfa genus V2. My preferred signature is alot of bass with thick mids, not vshaped and relaxed treble. I also have dunu titan 3 but don't like it due too a very thin midrange. Is the kc09 the answer or any other recommendations? Thanks

2. PaganDL
    Hi Nabillion_786,

IT 01 will do nicely for you as its value is well above its price point, it is my most used daily.

The KC 09 is also good though not as impactful bass response wise as IT 01 but mids are full & well bodied.
    Personally, I can't enjoy the KC 09 due to having ear anatomy which is unsuitable for the shape and weight.
    If you're interested in a KC 09 which has only been slightly used to test if it works, PM me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Nabillion_786 and tarhana like this.
  3. Nabillion_786
    Thanks a lot for the reply, Just realized your reply now. Could you please do a comparison between the kc09 and it01?because all I have to do is pay the custom fees and just collect my kc09 from the local post office. However, I'm not quite sure if I should since I'm after alot of bass with especially thick, meaty mids that have good vocals.

4. PaganDL
    Hi Nabillion_786,

No problem, been away from Headfi myself for a bit due to life.

There is no fair comparison between the KC09 & the IT 01 but based on your preferences, IT 01 wins out every time across the range significantly.
    Also, there is more to play with in sound tuning with IT 01 if you cable roll whether you believe in it or not.
    While basic sound signature remains largely unchanged & stock cable is very good, different cables do change the tuning.
    For example, the cable I'm using for the IT 01 is worth slightly more retail than the IT 01 (ridiculous most certainly but at least I'm not crazy enough to get cables which are in the high hundreds, let alone thousands but I digress), the point is while it doesn't 'quieten' the IT 01 sound, at least to my ears subjectively, it refines the sound, bringing it up a few levels & evens out the base response even more so in real bass heavy tracks, it doesn't overpower all the other frequencies adding a nice tone control.

Hope this makes sense & helps.
    As I mentioned, personally, KC 09 doesn't fit me well which is a minor pain literally as vocals are its strong suit, after all, it is essentially a midrange hearing aid for very little money but once again, doesn't have the fit for me personally.

5. Nabillion_786
    First of all thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate your help. I've been having a bad time with the kc09 as I originally got them from massdrop, and faced really bad customer service Initially. I ordered my ostrys, then shortly after decided to change it for an it01 but massdrop didn't reply which resulted in me having to wait and eventually just paying for the custom fees which I was unaware of. Thereafter, a nice lady took over and provided exceptional customer service, by giving me a full refund whilst letting me keep my ostrys, I'm absolutely buzzing now!

Regarding the ostrys sound, I was disappointed tbh, because for some reason the sound to my ears sounded lifeless with not much detail, less separation and also at times a bit muddy. However, I loved the the thickness of the mids but the vocals just felt too distant from the soundstage. Today I'm receiving both, the fh1 and it01, and will be doing a thorough a/b/c testing.

6. PaganDL
    Hi Nabillion_786,

No problem, always happy to help.

I understand your pain, MD can be a serious one, often for no reason.

Regarding KC 09 sound, this is sometimes the problem with a lot of IEMs nowadays especially, not just this particular one, it is mainly source dependant & how good the quality is, suggest at least CD quality, which means 320 kpbhs.
    I would be interested to know what you're using as a source, aside from just the quality & what kind of music &/or sound you are listening to as well as any settings you may have as extra (EQ, volume level, etc).
    I will agree separation could be a little better on the KC 09 but it is more than adequate for the cost though the best personally & subjectively I find in that price range is still the IT 01.
    If it sounds muddy, I would suggest checking your source quality as in my experience 'muddiness' tends to be from poorly recorded sources.

Also, as a final note, if you can get something like the Presonus HP 4, I find for the value, it is a great head amp for a, b, c, d testing.

Let me know how you go, be interested to hear what you find.