Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 / e-Q5)
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #91 of 264
Sorry to hijack this thread (not really), but I have a quick question regarding Ortofon authorized dealers. MusicaAcoustics seems to be a popular online retailer for Ortofon IEMs, but they are not an authorized dealer according to Ortofon USA. What gives? Are their products genuine/authentic and within factory spec? Where are they sourcing these IEMs if they're not an AD? How can they carry the new e-Q8 before Ortofon Japan has them available for sale?

Back on topic...

My favourite pair of go-to IEMs are the Ortofon e-Q5. In my view, they strike the best balance between SQ, build, comfort/convenience and price. Perhaps it's just me, but I was really surprised to learn that the e-Q8 adopted the same form factor as the e-Q7, which I take to be inferior to the build/design of the e-Q5. Any word on whether Ortofon will update the e-Q5 model with a similar "pure silver coil driver" found in the new e-Q8? If so, that will have me salivating.

My dog destroyed my e-Q5s about 2 years ago, and I've missed them dearly ever since. As a result, I've decided to bite the bullet and just buy another pair, Shure SE535s be damned.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #93 of 264
Ortofon Japan is incharge of making the iem.

They are legit. I have made multiple transactions with them.

So is MusicaAcoustics licensed through Ortofon Japan? How can they be selling the e-Q8 if Ortofon Japan isn't selling them yet?

I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing any gray market products that may be used, factory seconds, or not within spec.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #94 of 264
Ortofon Japan is incharge of making the iem.

They are legit. I have made multiple transactions with them.

X2, Dimitri (MusicaAcoustics) is 100% legit. IIRC he's even an Ortofon distributor, not only a seller.

Also, ime his customer service has been excellent.

Hmm, I for my part prefer the e-Q7/8 form factor over the e-Q5's.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #95 of 264
  Hmm, I for my part prefer the e-Q7/8 form factor over the e-Q5's.

Blasphemy!

But thank you for the other info. I wonder why Ortofon USA goes out of their way to identify these unauthorized dealers, especially if they have legit connections in other jurisdictions/regions? As a consumer, a red flag pops up when the manufacturer identifies unauthorized dealers; I naturally assume there's a problem with the authenticity of their products.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #98 of 264
@james444, how would you compare these to the Heaven VII in both fit and SQ?

I prefer the Heaven VII in both fit and SQ. Their tapered housings are more comfortable than the e-Q8's barrels. And while both are quite linear in signature, the VII sound smoother and don't have that upper mids "Ety" bump, which I'm not such a fan of. The Ortofons are very good phones in my book, but I like the VII even better.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #99 of 264
Hm. This looks like something I would absolutely love, but I don't think I can really justify myself to buying iems and an amp to pair with right now. Maybe it's time to sell things around the house, lol.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #100 of 264
  Hm. This looks like something I would absolutely love, but I don't think I can really justify myself to buying iems and an amp to pair with right now. Maybe it's time to sell things around the house, lol.

The e-Q8 are one of only a few IEMs that really need a lot of juice to sound their best. They sound significantly better from my FiiO X3 than from my other DAPs and my SGS3.

The Heaven VII are not nearly as picky about source, they sound great with every source I've tried.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #101 of 264
Tonight is going to be e-Q8 night.

They are truly underrated both on head-fi and in Japan.

Indeed. Last year's May headphone show had me with a pair of e-Q8s in my ears and even ortofon's booth staff were surprised to see me with their earphones. I've not seen a single one in the wild. But driven correctly, they are worth it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #102 of 264
Indeed. Last year's May headphone show had me with a pair of e-Q8s in my ears and even ortofon's booth staff were surprised to see me with their earphones. I've not seen a single one in the wild. But driven correctly, they are worth it.

Just curious, but what exactly would you recommend to drive the EQ 8s, and how similar are they in presentation to the GR10? I've recently come into ownership of a pair of GR10's and I'm finding myself enjoying them on some very surprising songs and genres, and would love to push them to their limit.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #103 of 264
The problem both earphones have (the e-Q8 more so) is that not only does it swing way down the impedance pole, it is so sensitive to hiss that most quiet sources hiss like snakes. It's about as bad as the Ultrasone IQ, meaning that your amp/source is going to bug you probably.

Regarding hiss:
1. latest gen iPod nano is very good
2. Calyx M very good
3. MZAK100 absolutely silent
4. AK240 reasonably good

My favourite of the above is the iPod nano simply because it is the easiest to use and gets the best battery life by far. It isn't far outclassed by the others when driving the e-Q8, but the MZAK100 will reveal more bass presence than the nano. Ditto the Calyx M. But the nano will get you 90% of the way there. I'd not go any worse than the nano (which honestly is a very, very good sounding player).

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #104 of 264
Hmm, I'll try my GR10 out on a friend's MZAK100, but I'm surprised to hear that the new iPod nano is that good! Would you know how the EQ-8 works on AK players? I'm currently using the AK100ii, (mainly for UI reasons and ease of use) and I find the GR10s to be very resolving, but lacking a little in it's sub-bass extension. I may be used to the Dita IEM's sub-bass extension, but I can definitely tell it's missing a little something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back