Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #826 of 1,026
my ears have a hard time adjusting to their sound. After using something like EX-1000, R-1L and switching back to the EQ-5 I feel that there is a thick veil across all frequencies.
I need to spend more time with it this weekend and decide my final thoughts on them. 

Mine seems to be faulty.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #827 of 1,026
Quote:
my ears have a hard time adjusting to their sound. After using something like EX-1000, R-1L and switching back to the EQ-5 I feel that there is a thick veil across all frequencies.
I need to spend more time with it this weekend and decide my final thoughts on them. 

Mine seems to be faulty.

New from box? My impressions were that they were slightly bland (you could hear that as "veiled"), but they either opened up after ~50 hours or my brain adjusted to them. From there onwards, they were very clear to me. FWIW, Grado recommends a 100hr burn-in for the GR08/GR10, which both use the same driver technology. Then again, yours could of course be faulty.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #828 of 1,026
I made a quick judgment, I was listening to EX-1000 and decided to swap to EQ-5 which was not a wise thing to do. 
Quote:
New from box? My impressions were that they were slightly bland (you could hear that as "veiled"), but they either opened up after ~50 hours or my brain adjusted to them. From there onwards, they were very clear to me. FWIW, Grado recommends a 100hr burn-in for the GR08/GR10, which both use the same driver technology. Then again, yours could of course be faulty.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #830 of 1,026
Best thing to do is contact the ortofon customer service and ask them. I have not seen any recabled custom for them and truth be told getting them recable will not come out cheap for you, you are better off buying them new than recable them! You probably be ending up paying more for the recable than what they cost now.

Quote:
Anyone know where I could recable these? The right side is dying on me and my warranty's just run out, not happy :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #831 of 1,026
Best thing to do is contact the ortofon customer service and ask them. I have not seen any recabled custom for them and truth be told getting them recable will not come out cheap for you, you are better off buying them new than recable them! You probably be ending up paying more for the recable than what they cost now.
mine too..the left side of mine are starting to cut in and out..not too bad though..I can use them for a while before they do..it's mostly happens when I move the cable alot...I live in Canada so is there somewhere where I can get them recabled?? And how much would they cost? Does anyone know..I really love the sound of these and would be a shame to throw them out once they totally go..I think I'd miss them :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #832 of 1,026
Check with BTG. IT's very common for these to do that but they will be difficult to recable. The plastic bit that holds the 2 very thin metal halves together is also the termination point for both driver and cables. Hard to disassemble without compromising the driver though possible if you know what you're getting into. BTG has a lot of experience with difficult retables.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #835 of 1,026
Contacted Ortofon and they said they couldn't do anything even if it was under warranty as their factories are in Japan...

Or maybe it's their nice way of saying "go away it's out of warranty"?

Either way, I guess recabling is the only option short of repurchasing but it seems there are a few of these build quality issues around so if they won't replace it... 

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #836 of 1,026
Contacted Ortofon and they said they couldn't do anything even if it was under warranty as their factories are in Japan...

Or maybe it's their nice way of saying "go away it's out of warranty"?

Either way, I guess recabling is the only option short of repurchasing but it seems there are a few of these build quality issues around so if they won't replace it... 

I never had build issues with mine as long as I had them.

Purchased them through MusicaAcoustics just in case as they would take care of the warranty side of things.

Although I don't see why Ortofon would say no to repair if they are still under warranty.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #838 of 1,026
Quote:
Question.. Does musica acoustic deliver to Canada do you know.?.they actually seem to have to lowest prices for the ortofon that I have seen?

I recently had an issue with a delay in shipping from MA (which Dimitri took care of) but he did mention the occasional delay in Canadian customs so I'm assuming they do.  You can always email him, he's pretty quick to reply. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #839 of 1,026
Quote:
I never had build issues with mine as long as I had them.

Purchased them through MusicaAcoustics just in case as they would take care of the warranty side of things.

Although I don't see why Ortofon would say no to repair if they are still under warranty.

Yeah I changed my post they said they would replace it if it were broken and within warranty, but they wouldn't have any means of a repair or test which leads me to believe they couldn't care less about any issues their headphones might have, just because their factories are in Japan.

Oh well, another "never again" company for me I guess.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #840 of 1,026
Quote:

I recently had an issue with a delay in shipping from MA (which Dimitri took care of) but he did mention the occasional delay in Canadian customs so I'm assuming they do.  You can always email him, he's pretty quick to reply. 

great thank you,,i do hear some nightmares about customs and such,,i can get them at the headfone shop in toronto,,he has the eq5 in stock there but i think they are 300 plus tax,,ive seen them on ebay for around 250,,thats more reasonable i think,,thanks again 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back