Orthos for gaming?
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

stryker7314

New Head-Fier
Anyone know if this is a good idea at all? Are Orthos a good idea for gaming? I'm thinking about trying Fostex T50RP's as an introduction to Orthos for gaming performance. Also how much better are LCD2's and HE500's than the T50's?

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 17
Spending that much just for gaming might not be a good idea.
I'm not trying to be a snob. I'm just saying, there aren't really those nuances in gaming sound that can't be brought out by lesser headphones. Aaand, you're not exactly focusing on just the audio when you're gaming either. Spending $900+ for the headphones and amp is a bit steep. Those headphones were made for music, not for gaming. Not trying to step on anyone's toes. Just saying you could the same or very very similar resolution for much much less.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Anyone know if this is a good idea at all? Are Orthos a good idea for gaming? I'm thinking about trying Fostex T50RP's as an introduction to Orthos for gaming performance. Also how much better are LCD2's and HE500's than the T50's?

Heya,

Load up your gaming sound files and look a their sampling rates.

Then think about whether or not you're willing to drop about a grand on that bit rate and quality of recording. If you are, then by all means, get any Ortho that you can afford. Remember, the the Fostex T50's are not that great of headphones to begin with. Someone may argue that. But frankly, they're just not. It has nothing to do with being a dynamic or an ortho, it has to do with simply having good sound quality. If you want an ortho just to say you have one, or tried one, without the higher end costs, by all means, try it. At like $75 new, by all means, go for it.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 17
Man.. you guys are right. I looked up the sampling rate on BFBC2, it's at 16bit 48Khz,and that's supposed to be one of the best, can't imagine others. I'll stick to Ultrasone 900 pro's and DT990's.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 17

Man.. you guys are right. I looked up the sampling rate on BFBC2, it's at 16bit 48Khz,and that's supposed to be one of the best, can't imagine others. I'll stick to Ultrasone 900 pro's and DT990's.

Look at the bitrate, not the bit depth and sampling rate. Neither of those actually matter, as long as they're at least 16/44.1.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 17
So far, everyone's been looking at headphone for gaming in a fidelity context, not an imaging context (particularly with CMSS-3D Headphone, Dolby Headphone, or other HRTF surround filters). We all know that games rarely have the best of audio to begin with quality-wise, but it would at least be nice to know exactly where those gunshots are coming from so you can show your enemy how to not miss. (Not to mention the immersion...)

I'm curious as to how well orthodynamics work in that case, though the big Mad Lust Envy Dolby Headphone thread only consists of dynamic headphones from what I've seen (maybe with a reply or two mentioning Stax, which is why I'm seeking out a Lambda setup, but that's electrostatic and LCD-2/HE-500-level expensive with a driver from what I've seen).

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 17
My modded T50RP with slightly angled drivers is a fine gaming headphone.  I enjoy several others more for this purpose--the DT990, HFI780 and Sony MDR-F1/PFR-V1--because they all have something more impressive to offer in terms of gaming sound.  Still, the T50RP have quite a big going for them, too.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Heya,

Load up your gaming sound files and look a their sampling rates.

Then think about whether or not you're willing to drop about a grand on that bit rate and quality of recording. If you are, then by all means, get any Ortho that you can afford. Remember, the the Fostex T50's are not that great of headphones to begin with. Someone may argue that. But frankly, they're just not. It has nothing to do with being a dynamic or an ortho, it has to do with simply having good sound quality. If you want an ortho just to say you have one, or tried one, without the higher end costs, by all means, try it. At like $75 new, by all means, go for it.

Very best,

From what i've read from tons of posts your wrong saying the fostex drivers isnt good..

Lots of people sells their denon 5000 or 7000 when they receive the thunderpants...
Of course HE-500 and LCD2 are another story but they arent close cans...

Rightly modded T50RP seems to be an interested buy in my opinion for fun, flat, fast, good bass cans.. of course soundstage and airy high might be hard to have right in a modded can

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 17
I am not convinced that ortho drivers are fundamentally superior to dynamic.  They do offer something quite different, though, and are worth exploring.  With dynamic drivers, there are severe limitations in how you can modify the damping to change the sound, where orthos really are built to make tuning accessible to individuals with only basic materials.  To be fair, most people probably wouldn't be that thrilled with the sound of the stock T50RP.  They are designed to be precise and pull flaws out of recordings, which isn't something that you would want to use for fun.  Even after spending over a year tinkering with mine, I'm not sure I'd claim they could compete with $500 headphones.  For $75, though, they offer a lot for people who are willing to do some work to learn how to get the sound they want.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Man.. you guys are right. I looked up the sampling rate on BFBC2, it's at 16bit 48Khz,and that's supposed to be one of the best

LOL just CD quality, I wouldn't bother.

As far as T50RP for gaming, I don't think they would be that great... if you have Pro900s stick with those!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 17
im actually waiting for thunderpants... so i hope the drivers rocks :wink:

but i heard briefly the T40rp and while not outstanding in some ways, it was very detailed in all frequencies without sounding agressive..
All others pair there had some emphasis on tons of frequencies and sounded more fake in some parts of the spectrum..

Mid-Highs of beyers DT770 were not that good with a feel of plastic.. my DT250 have better mids..but soundstage and imaging is bad on DT250
also bass is missing..

Some AKG were detailed and nice but they seemed mid foward. Liked the sound but I like my DT250 more..

M50 was there and the high was sibilant and agressive in some ways like the shure 840

those are not 600$ cans but i wonder how the thunderpants will fare against beyer T70 .. and Koss ESP950 well amped.. also HD600 and HD650 well amped..

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Generally when someone asks how good headphones are for gaming, they mean in terms of immersion and/or positional audio. High budget games always have fine sound, and as long as the audio is recorded properly, it will always sound better (in terms of immersion and fidelity) with better quality headphones and DACs/amps.

Positional audio is a different story though - some headphones do it well, while others don't. I don't think you can really tell how good a headphone will be for positional audio just by judging from how it fares with music. You want headphones that have a lot of detail and an accurate sound stage (a wide sound stage isn't necessarily a good thing). I don't know how good orthos are for this, so I'm interested in hearing more opinions on this too :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #15 of 17
In my opinion pin point positioning and imaging is one of the most important part of an Hi-End headphone designs.. because harder to get right..

Even if it seems less important in music its what give all the space to instruments.. too big or far soundstage can loose intimity and cohesion of those instruments
Bass is also important for gaming but also very important for music..

If a can is good for music (including the bass, imaging and soundstage part) then it should be a good game can too.. for example T1 and LCD2..

Hope my custom made thunderpants will have good pin point positioning and imaging.

For headphones,I personally like not too wide, not too far 3D soundstage with pin point positioning.. similar too very good nearfield monitors in a perfect room..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back