Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #20,986 of 27,137
Quote:
Depends on the condition. I paid $40 for mine and they are in VG condition with intact headband and clean supple pads. At that price (and the guy delivered them to my work) I was very happy.

I always hate to advise this, but look up past auctions on Ebay and you'll see that they sell readily at pretty high prices these days.

As far as sound quality goes I like them a lot after replacing the internal decaying foam and some basic damping with felt behind the driver. Not the best cans in my collection, but very fun and a distinctive presentation.

The seem to be in pretty good shape, but they're pics so who knows really, cant touch them. I did check ebay and the prices seemed kinda all over the place so that's why I asked. Ive seem the sell for probably as high as a hundred or so and as low as 30ish. I saw a few in the 60s and 70 that's didn't sell. Thats why I was curious. didn't seem like the most popular orthos. 

They would be my first so I was just wondering if it wasn't a great deal on them if I should just wait for something else. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #20,987 of 27,137
Quote:
The seem to be in pretty good shape, but they're pics so who knows really, cant touch them. I did check ebay and the prices seemed kinda all over the place so that's why I asked. Ive seem the sell for probably as high as a hundred or so and as low as 30ish. I saw a few in the 60s and 70 that's didn't sell. Thats why I was curious. didn't seem like the most popular orthos. 

They would be my first so I was just wondering if it wasn't a great deal on them if I should just wait for something else. 

I don't think that's a bad price, though there wasn't any of that model when I looked just now. $89 seems to be the magic price for older headphones on eBay. I see a lot of people on here that say they are thinking about getting some YH-100 to try, but I've only seen 2 pair on ebay in the last couple of years, anyway. I got my YH-100 at a goodwill for $7.25 about 2 years ago in perfect shape with no issues on them cosmetically. They sound very good to me too, but it's hard to know how they compare to a new set and how they were amped/used/abused over their years. At the time I didn't know anything about them and had to look it up before purchasing, which didn't help me at the time very much either because they are rare. But they looked awesome and I took a chance, which I'm glad I did. Since then I haven't seen any more orthos, and I look 3 time a week at about 5 different thrift stores. It wouldn't hurt to wait either if you have doubts. Not all orthos are created equal. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #20,989 of 27,137
Hi all.

I am currently in possession of a pair of Yamaha Yh-100's. They are in excellent condition, and they sound really good (to my ears, at least). Unfortunately, I lack the time, money, skills, and equipment to use these (or really any audiophile quality headphone) to their full extent. That being said, I want to sell these but I don't know where to start.

Any advice?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #20,990 of 27,137
Quote:
Hi all.

I am currently in possession of a pair of Yamaha Yh-100's. They are in excellent condition, and they sound really good (to my ears, at least). Unfortunately, I lack the time, money, skills, and equipment to use these (or really any audiophile quality headphone) to their full extent. That being said, I want to sell these but I don't know where to start.

Any advice?

I would suppose find a price your comfortable selling them at and posting something if the FS section or using a strategically placed PM :wink:

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #20,991 of 27,137
Quote:
Hi all.

Any advice?

I almost sold min for $100- on eBay about 2 years ago, which is what I started them at and they only got one bid from a guy that wanted me to ship them to Japan; but I put only in US on ad and I'm glad I got to kept them. I kinda thought I could get at least $125- for mine back then, but on HEADFI people don't usually do like on eBay and ask for crazy prices, like the guy trying to sell some beat up YH-1000's for $2400 buy it now on eBay right now. Exellent shape is good though, so $150 may be fair with shipping on eBay. I'd say max your profits and offer shipping to Japan. They pay top money, usually. Just pack them well or you may end up getting returned some broken headphones and a waste of time. INSURANCE if you can wherever you ship them. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #20,992 of 27,137
Maybe I should have offered that guy for the HP2s, because I think ebay just went insane. 

What do the Fostex T20 and the T10s go for usually? He wants 89 and 129 for those. He has some realistic pro 30s for 119!!  Same guys also asking 200 for a pair of AKG Sextetts though, so I'm thinking its just him. I'm starting to think local is the way to get a pair of these though, though no luck so far. 

Oh well I have time I guess. I can wait for the right deal. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #20,994 of 27,137
Must be my painkillers talking. I'm browsing headfi and thinking to myself: "man, why is there a giant thread on dentists here?" 

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #20,995 of 27,137
Quote:
Dear Mr. Ortho Supremus; I have questions
confused_face_2.gif
. So I have un-modded YH-100 and I'm still not willing to mod them due to my abilities to ruin small electronics. Anyway, I'm really curious how you think they compare to the HIFIMAN HE-400? 

Sorry about the delay answering. Sadly, I have not heard the HE-400. The only HFM planar I've heard is the HE-5, a much older model. Compared to my modded YH-100, it had extended bass and treble. I thought it was very promising, although not what I'd call a cheapskate's dream deal. And I'm one of those crusty types who thinks wood is the wrong material to build a headphone from, but that's me.

Quote:
How are the HP2s and would they be worth 40 dollars plus shipping or should I look for something else?

Quote:
Maybe I should have offered that guy for the HP2s, because I think ebay just went insane. What do the Fostex T20 and the T10s go for usually? He wants 89 and 129 for those.

Oh well I have time I guess. I can wait for the right deal. 

An excellent strategy. Impatience tends to cost you big money. The HP-2 for $40 was probably a good deal if the pictures looked good. I'm always suspicious of horrible blurry photos that don't tell you anything except maybe that the item exists. $40 for one needing repair is not bad either, depending on the problem, of course. A "parts" 'phone is never a bad idea if you intend to mod. And you're right, prices have been all over the place, not too different from the way they were in 2005, oddly enough. The highest prices are much, much higher now, because: internet, but you knew that.

I'd be torn between the T20[v1? v2?] and the T10. They're very different and both a lot of fun (and frustration, in the case of the T20v2). I really wouldn't like paying $130 + ship for a T10, though, unless it was NOS or like new and came with the box and a 1985 Fostex catalog and some cookies, or something. But that's me.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #20,997 of 27,137
This one time at the dentist, high on the nitrous oxide, I'm pretty sure I managed to get the vacuum thingy up his nose... 

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #20,998 of 27,137
Quote:
Out of that mix , I would go for the T10 at $130 - not a bad price at all , and it is insanely good with minor damping..dB

Ahhhh I could have scored one for $20 a little while ago but the wikiphonia page made it sound like it would a waste of my time(I really hated the T20v1/v2) and Ludoo's search engine results didn't sound too optimistic either. Ah well, we all hear differently and use different gear, for instance the Leak 3K you seem to enjoy so much really wasn't to my taste.....and IIRC you're not too fond of the YH1/HP1, which I adore.....which also reminds me that I've got a NOS in box aniso HP1 to list on ebay
popcorn.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #20,999 of 27,137
Quote:
Ahhhh I could have scored one for $20 a little while ago but the wikiphonia page made it sound like it would a waste of my time(I really hated the T20v1/v2) and Ludoo's search engine results didn't sound too optimistic either. Ah well, we all hear differently and use different gear, for instance the Leak 3K you seem to enjoy so much really wasn't to my taste.....and IIRC you're not too fond of the YH1/HP1, which I adore.....which also reminds me that I've got a NOS in box aniso HP1 to list on ebay
popcorn.gif

Buy it now them for $2500 with ships anywhere free
popcorn.gif
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back