Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13,951 of 27,137
I'm trying to hear the thok sound on the unmodded HP-1 that is mentioned at the start of this thread. I'm trying to do this by looking for a sound sample of the tik sound on vinyl; (as I am a starving student, I don't own any expensive vinyl players) I'm wondering if this is even possible to achieve on the computer, because the samples of sounds I've found so far sounds the same on my HD650 and HP-1. Do I really need a analogue setup to hear this difference?

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #13,953 of 27,137
I was comparing the headphones with this clip, and I swear I could not tell the difference. Then again, I did not put them on loop and I did not listen to them extensively. After listening to your clip for a while though, I could hear that the clip sound slightly different between HD650 and HP-1, and there is a very slight delay with an unmodded HP-1. I guess I'll need to train my ears more. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #13,954 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was comparing the headphones with this clip, and I swear I could not tell the difference. Then again, I did not put them on loop and I did not listen to them extensively. After listening to your clip for a while though, I could hear that the clip sound slightly different between HD650 and HP-1, and there is a very slight delay with an unmodded HP-1. I guess I'll need to train my ears more. Thanks!

Basically,
Damp the HP-1 and listen again and then your be like "Aaahh so thats what they meant"!
tongue.gif

It's something more easily experienced than reading about.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #13,955 of 27,137
Hopefully. haha
But I'm still don't have any good felt on my hands yet, so I'm looking for things to do with the unmodded headphones. I'll need to make a trip to home hardware sometimes next week. It turns out that even though I can hear a difference, I can't tell what's contributing to these differences, thus I'm trying to train my ears to identify them first.
smily_headphones1.gif
One thing I realized with this hobby is that in some way it is really detrimental to the overall enjoyment to music. (!!!) I used to be able to listen to my logitech speakers and enjoy the music, yet after having been exposed to these good sounding headphones, it has become hard for me to listen to them anymore. The more I train my ears, the less tolerent it is to bad gear.
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13,956 of 27,137
A few pics of swt61's TPs

TP002.jpg

TP003.jpg

TP004.jpg

and a few pads I assembled today with the skins Sachu brought back from India

TP001.jpg

perhaps we can coerce sachu into giving his impressions of the orthos he spent a little time with a few nights ago
wink.gif

..dB

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #13,959 of 27,137
aah..you got those pics up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those Madagascar Ebony headphones just look stunning. The pics don't do them justice. The most gorgeous pair of TPs I have seen Smeggy create thus far. THe finish is like nothing else I have seen. He has outdone himself once again. I'd be surprised if he could take it even further cause I was left asking what else is left to improve upon? The finish on my original TPs is a far cry from Steve's. Made me a little green naturally
tongue.gif

As for the sound, they are clearly the best sounding TPs from Smeggy to date that I've heard. I've only heard 3. I do want to point out, my cloned O2 leather pads was a world of difference to have on than the stock fostex pads. It was a shame to even have those Fostex pads on the TPs if I were to say so. O2 pads on TPs is almost a must and especially with the real leather O2 pads the comfort level is unmatched.

Don, those pads look amazing..Thanks!!. Can't wait to try them out..memory foam too, and as we both saw it was again a huge jump up on the stock O2MK1 foam padding.

That's all for now..about the other headphones I heard..will post *ahem* after a second listening session..u know just wanting to confirm what I heard
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #13,960 of 27,137
Awesome looking set of TPs!

So I went to get some blu tak for mass damping and ended up getting modeling clay instead because it was cheaper and it worked out well. I'm not sure how they compare soundwise but the clay is easy to work with and sticks well in there. I damped the whole cup and the baffles. I also changed out the papery felt-like material I had on there for some black felt and I got some warmth back at the expense of some detail. I still can't get good bass out of these though. I don't think I blocked the port but I'm not sure where it comes out on the back of the baffle. Even when I removed all damping the bass was still lacking. Have other people had better luck? Are there any damping tricks that emphasis the lower registers?

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #13,961 of 27,137
If you look on the front of the baffle you can see that tiny little hole and you can trace it's position to the back from the front. Also you need to make sure the vent in the back of the cup isn't covered. You should be able to get decent bass.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #13,962 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aah..you got those pics up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those Madagascar Ebony headphones just look stunning. The pics don't do them justice. The most gorgeous pair of TPs I have seen Smeggy create thus far. THe finish is like nothing else I have seen. He has outdone himself once again. I'd be surprised if he could take it even further cause I was left asking what else is left to improve upon? The finish on my original TPs is a far cry from Steve's. Made me a little green naturally
tongue.gif

As for the sound, they are clearly the best sounding TPs from Smeggy to date that I've heard. I've only heard 3. I do want to point out, my cloned O2 leather pads was a world of difference to have on than the stock fostex pads. It was a shame to even have those Fostex pads on the TPs if I were to say so. O2 pads on TPs is almost a must and especially with the real leather O2 pads the comfort level is unmatched.

Don, those pads look amazing..Thanks!!. Can't wait to try them out..memory foam too, and as we both saw it was again a huge jump up on the stock O2MK1 foam padding.

That's all for now..about the other headphones I heard..will post *ahem* after a second listening session..u know just wanting to confirm what I heard
wink.gif

I'm hoping my fire burled Madrone TPs give them a run for the money!
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #13,963 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a few pads I assembled today with the skins Sachu brought back from India
TP001.jpg
..dB

Damn! Don those pads are fantastic! Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome looking set of TPs!

I imagine they'll be at the next Houston meet, whenever that will be, so maybe you'll be there to hear them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping my fire burled Madrone TPs give them a run for the money!
icon10.gif

Heh, I have no doubt that fire burled Madrone will be simply incredible Brian. Can't wait to see them.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #13,965 of 27,137
^^ Don had some memory foam
biggrin.gif
.. Can't wait to swing by to pick it up and give them a try. My TPs are really going to appreciate this. I am using one other pair which has the O2MK1 foam in them and I am dead sure the memory foam ones are going to be uber comfy over and beyond the Stax O2 MKI foam.

I might just unload off my O2 pads as I have enough of the real leather pads to last a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back