Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #10,996 of 27,137
WHAT??? $700 or $800 for an orthodynamic when one new as the Fostex T50RP costs ~$70?? What are they thinking?

EDIT: If Fostex are selling theirs at that price, using the materials they use, if Head Direct used more expensive materials, even so the price should stay low... Like sky rocketing the price I think it is really a bad idea when you know you can get other orthos for way less...

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #10,997 of 27,137
Probably thinking that their ortho completely destroys the T50rp in every way, which, for me, it does. Come on now, you can get a koss ksc75 for $10, so what is Sennheiser doing charging $1400 for their new HD800? They are both dynamic headphones. Sure, the Koss sounds OK, and has a cheap plastic frame and flimsy cable, while the HD800 sounds great and has an exceptionally comfortable and well built frame. Likewise, the T50rp has a cheap, nasty plastic frame which I find very unpleasant to wear, and to my ears sounds only decent even after some necessary mods. The HE-5, on the other hand, has a nice frame made of wood, metal, and leather, a brand new custom made driver, is quite comfortable, and sounds many times better, even just listening to the prototype. Also, due to how the current manufacturing process on the HE-5 is done, they will only be able to make something like 10-20 units per month. I really do feel that the HE-5 is several large steps up from the T50rp, though ultimately the decision lies with the people who are buying it.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #10,998 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT??? $700 or $800 for an orthodynamic when one new as the Fostex T50RP costs ~$70?? What are they thinking?

EDIT: If Fostex are selling theirs at that price, using the materials they use, if Head Direct used more expensive materials, even so the price should stay low... Like sky rocketing the price I think it is really a bad idea when you know you can get other orthos for way less...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably thinking that their ortho completely destroys the T50rp in every way, which, for me, it does. Come on now, you can get a koss ksc75 for $10, so what is Sennheiser doing charging $1400 for their new HD800? They are both dynamic headphones. Sure, the Koss sounds OK, and has a cheap plastic frame and flimsy cable, while the HD800 sounds great and has an exceptionally comfortable and well built frame. Likewise, the T50rp has a cheap, nasty plastic frame which I find very unpleasant to wear, and to my ears sounds only decent even after some necessary mods. The HE-5, on the other hand, has a nice frame made of wood, metal, and leather, a brand new custom made driver, is quite comfortable, and sounds many times better, even just listening to the prototype. Also, due to how the current manufacturing process on the HE-5 is done, they will only be able to make something like 10-20 units per month. I really do feel that the HE-5 is several large steps up from the T50rp, though ultimately the decision lies with the people who are buying it.

Agreed - the final HE5 is going to compete with Stat rigs, and the prototype with an EF1 sounded very similar to my Smegma Pros (woodied Gamma Pro) with a nicer amp. I might try to get a review sample of the final version to do a write-up.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #10,999 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - the final HE5 is going to compete with Stat rigs, and the prototype with an EF1 sounded very similar to my Smegma Pros (woodied Gamma Pro) with a nicer amp. I might try to get a review sample of the final version to do a write-up.

Compete with what kind of stats? SR-404 is $400 and ESP950 are $600 with an amp and cool bag, it better be superior to SR-404 and ESP950 for $800.
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #11,000 of 27,137
Of course, while the sound is going to be compared to stuff like stats, in many ways it is more fair to compare it to dynamics when it comes to pricing. I know I would take the proto HE-5 over a GS-1000 any day, or a Denon D5000. You go for a stat rig, you can get the ESP950+E90 for $650, or something like an SR2050 rig for $700 (which I havnt heard). Does it compete with stat rigs, maybe not, but I would think it competes well with other dynamic headphones in it's price range. Of course, it is all personal choice, so for many, the price might seem too high. I personally would take probably any of my stats over the proto HE-5, except maybe the Lambda Pro.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #11,001 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compete with what kind of stats? SR-404 is $400 and ESP950 are $600 with an amp and cool bag, it better be superior to SR-404 and ESP950 for $800.
popcorn.gif

I already listed one stat - I'll have to refrain further until I spend more time with it, if I'm going to be asked for specifics. The ESP950 with the stock amp would not be better than these, and these probably are on the level of the Grado RS-1. Again - I need more time with them.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #11,003 of 27,137
Quote:

I already listed one stat - I'll have to refrain further until I spend more time with it, if I'm going to be asked for specifics. The ESP950 with the stock amp would not be better than these, and these probably are on the level of the Grado RS-1. Again - I need more time with them.

I would probably take the ESP950 with the stock amp over the proto HE-5, though my set just developed noise in the right channel, so needs to take a trip back to Koss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp do you get with the 404 for $400?

None, though you dont get an amp with the HE-5 either.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #11,004 of 27,137
Quote:

As far as I remember you never even listened to your E90
tongue.gif
. I actually like E90 with ESP950, it has limitations but sounds very good still.

Quote:

Get SR-404 with SRM-1Mk2 for $700
wink.gif
easy to do and will sound great.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #11,005 of 27,137
Quote:

As far as I remember you never even listened to your E90
tongue.gif
. I actually like E90 with ESP950, it has limitations but sounds very good still.

Right, I never felt the E90 was quite as bad as many make it out to be.

Get SR-404 with SRM-1Mk2 for $700
wink.gif
easy to do and will sound great.

I have this, great rig, especially for what I paid (about $250).

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #11,006 of 27,137
Quote:

There are many options open if you can DIY. The old Stax designs are very easy to build and if you are cost cautious, can build one for around 300$ or even less.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #11,007 of 27,137
Quote:

popcorn.gif

Agreed - at that price point they're competing directly with 'stat kits that come with an amp, like the ESP950 (as little as $650 brand new) and the SRS-2050 (as little as $500 brand new). Or an SR-303 + SRM-300 for about $750.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #11,008 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First, I think Fostex is so far the only company that has kept selling orthodynamics in this year, unless there is some russian or other company that does so. Then being Fostex one of the only ones who keeps making those hps they have set a price to those headphones. It is both low because there is low demand, and low because building an ortho HP is quite cheap. (They still get their benefit when they sell Hps). Why do you have HD800 selling at $1400? Because there is a lot of demand on dynamic HPs. If there were no demand the price would be quite close to what it takes the company build a set of HPs, obviously adding some benefit to the company.

The build quality of the T50RP might not be the best (still haven't received mine but I will report back once I get them), but the drivers themselves are pretty good and seem to do the work. Maybe they need more dumping (as some people prefer it that way), but supposedly the company already measured their HPs and decided it was good enough to get a nice response. Buying damping material is also pretty cheap, so prices don't need to sky rocket.

About what you said it sounds many times better, that is yet to be discussed (and measured), and as other people are mentioning the price is quite above electrostatic HPs.

That is just my thinking. And i won't be buying one of those if the price is so so so high. The reason why I bought the T50RP is because they have another type of driver, close to the way electrostats work but being way cheaper.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11,009 of 27,137
my 2c

Fostex hasn't really changed the manufacture process for some time, they have the ability to produce large scale and hence cheaply. I have not been enamoured with the fostex sound even if they are technically competent. The question about damping them to achieve the sound you want is all well but experience has taught us that damping limits headstage and if the HE5 can achieve the planar sound and retain headstage with a super thin membrane that is both efficient and an easy load on the amplifier , kudos to them. The price is a tough one, small company, hand manufacturing essentially customised headphones for a small market -- I don't see it being cheap , would be happy if it was but can accept that it cannot be.

ortho or dynamic, they are headphones catering to a market where people want a certain something when they buy a headphone. If we all wanted the same thing, there would be no real market and no competition BUT we don't
smily_headphones1.gif
and that suites me perfectly as I can happily mod some vintage or new production driver to suite my tastes and Jo (you know shmo) can hand over his hard earned pennies for whatever flavour people tell him sounds best
very_evil_smiley.gif
..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back