Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #10,291 of 27,131
Totally not an ortho, but I know there are some loons here who get a kick out of wierd stuff
biggrin.gif
. Deep Cup Darth V5 Robocop?
Haloobabooba!!:
ab59_10.JPG

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #10,292 of 27,131
Kabeer;5637839 said:
Totally not an ortho, but I know there are some loons here who get a kick out of wierd stuff
biggrin.gif
. Deep Cup Darth V5 Robocop?
Haloobabooba!!:

Be careful with that device. No one knows what it might do to you. Did you buy it?

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for more dense felt to arrive. I hope that a dose of felt can make the Dual sound as good as the Grundig. But with more bass.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #10,293 of 27,131
I am interested in trying something 'new', something other than dynamic phones: electrostat or ortho...

Looking through the FOSTEX line up, with T50RP as the top model (judged by its higher price
tongue.gif
) So does it means it has better SQ than others within the line?

(I didn't read page to page in this thread so if they are similar questions my apologise)

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #10,295 of 27,131
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
judging from impressions so far, it seems the t50rp is indeed the best fostex has to offer.

I see. Keep searching info of T50RP.

Umm...Might give it a try
regular_smile .gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #10,299 of 27,131
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
better pads.
as far as i know, the old RP line with awful pads are no longer sold.

and US resellers don't use the new nomenclature

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #10,300 of 27,131
As some of you may recall, i was NOT happy with the sound of the Akai ASE-50. They sounded both boomy and nasal stock, and my initial attempt at modding them with a grade of felt slightly denser than craft felt didn't help.

I've believed for basically the whole time that the real problem was the 20 or so reflex dots around the outer edge of both drivers in the form of paper still stuck to the back magnet. I was wary of removing this paper because it was solidly glued on, and it appeared that the diaphragms were glued to the back magnet structure - which would mean that if i knocked any debris down through the holes, it would be there forever.

It turns out that the diaphragm is glued to a ring that is then sandwiched against the back magnet with a butyl rubber gasket, which was just stuck on because it was stuck on. It peeled away easily.

So, here's a picture of an ASE-50 diaphragm, in all it's glory.

IMG_0058-shrink.JPG

It's still safely stuck to it's ring. As you can see, the electrical connection is mechanical in nature.

As compared to the diaphragms found in all the fostexen I've had open, the Akai diaphragm is quite thin and actually tensioned like a drum - handling the ring will cause it to make sounds. I can't guess why they made the decision to tension it where other dome-type drivers are technically tensioned but loose enough that you can't just play music on them with your fingers. Which you should never do, because the akai membrane is easily deformed.

It's pictured laying on top of a pair of DuPont Sontara EC Creped Blue Wipes. These are a hospital-grade nonwoven wipe. I bought what appears to be about $12 worth of them for a buck at a thrift store, thinking that they were normal disposable shop rags until i saw the embossed name on them. Packs of 1000 for $118 here:

Dupont Sontara Ec Creped Blue Wipers-10 polybags per case. (HOSPR811)

Edit: plus it's the first diy damping material with a corny "How It's Made" video, with animated mascot and everything: http://www2.dupont.com/Sontara/en_US...ads/DUPONT.wmv

They're quite tough (almost unrippable) and let very little air pass through. One side is creped and embossed while the other side is flatter and softer, though they are thinner than any fabric i've ever used for damping.

This is the first time I've used these in a damping application and i like the results. The bass is tamed to just this side of lean and the nasal honk is gone. I think a non-creped version of the same material could be very useful for us as well.

I used one layer against the back magnet, a small disc of 1/4" air filter foam, and another layer lining the inside of the grille.

I may take these to work this week to see if i can find other faults in the sound signature, but as of now i can finally listen to them without cringing.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #10,302 of 27,131
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, here's a picture of an ASE-50 diaphragm, in all it's glory.

It's not there :frowning2:

EDIT: there it was... my browser did not like the end of the file name.
EDIT2: now it's there so I removed my link.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #10,304 of 27,131
whoops, fixed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh pretty! Its interestingly remoniscent of the T50v2 driver. So maybe Akai wasnt developing their own stuff...maybe Rank was involved....
Hold on...how did u remove the whole diaphragm?
Shouldnt it be soldered to a wire or electrical pad somewhere?????

The diaphragm is glued to a black plastic ring on the other side of what you see. There's a rubber gasket that fits over the side you're looking at. Separating the gasket from the frame was not difficult - there was no adhesive, it was just sticky rubber.

As i said, the electrical connection is mechanical - the solder tabs terminate with a big bump that presses into the diaphragm when the whole thing is bolted together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back