Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 10, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #1,456 of 27,137
For a second I thought the old Tomek was back, that was confusing. Anyways, welcome to the new Tomek.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #1,457 of 27,137
philodox
For a second I thought the old Tomek was back, that was confusing. Anyways, welcome to the new Tomek.

Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

who was the "old" Tomek?
from the way of how the name was wrote "Tomek" he has to be someone from Poland, was he?

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #1,458 of 27,137
Yes, he's polish. When I met him, he lived in Canada and used to post here on Head-Fi a fair bit. Now he is back in Poland teaching English, I believe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #1,462 of 27,137
Smela Echo H-16

There are other versions of TDS 16 Echo (ТДС 16 Эхо):
Echo Эхо H-16-16 C
Echo Эхо H-16-40 C
Echo Эхо H-16-100 C.
TDS 16 mentioned above in this thread was made in Lvov (Ukraine). These three versions made in Smela (Ukraine). Manufacturer was small private company based on the ruins of the huge state radio-related factory. Most of headphones produced in 1992(?)-1994 (cannot clear to say about start year of production).

Specs:
frequency response: 20-20,000Hz
Impedance:
Echo Эхо H-16-16 C - 16 ohms
Echo Эхо H-16-40 C - 40 ohms
Echo Эхо H-16-100 C - 100 ohms (Manufacturer is not selling this version anymore, but occasionally you can find them in Ukraine NOS)
sound pressure level @ 500Hz, at 1 mW power - 91 db
harmonic distortion < 0.3%
weight (without cable), kg - 0,18
size, mm - 220х170х68.

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

I bought Echo H-16-40 C version absolutely new, sealed in plastic, original box and manual included.
Never saw such a crappy vinyl headband, vinyl hard-to-squeeze pads and stinky vinyl cord (good copper wire inside so, as I found later).
Originally terminated with DIN plug, so I had to replace it with Neutrik 1/4" plug.
Whole construction is a bad clone of Lvov' Echo. Tough clamp on the head will make your ears bleeding after a couple hours of sitting in them.

The main question, how are they sound?
I have mixed feelings about these Echo.
Some of my friends, who are professional musicians all their life, hated Echo from the first moment, considering these cans harshy and unmusical sounding.
Partially I agree with them. Edgy highs, low bass is almost absent, hard "t-d-d-d" sound. Yes, that's true. Listening of classics and other delicate music maybe a torture in these cans.

But... from other side I would say Echo is a serious challenge to Grado for rock.
At last, I found cans for dynamic styles of rock: deathmetal, thrash, hardcore, punk. As I expected they are best headphones for soviet metal - Master, Aria etc., soviet rock. Very good reproducing of old 60' rock, eurodisco and lots of other cool stuff.

Are these cans have real music presentation? No, they are offensively lying, as any ortho. These cans prefer only one member in a band - drummer. Any genre you listening you hear drummer working at first row. All other musicians are faaaaar behind. They are doing some favour for guitarists, less gracious to vocalist and don't care for any other instruments.
And this famous Echo's tight punchy upper bass slam. It's not the grado-faked sound of splashing cymbals. These cans have no excessive highs in the very high register as Grado have. Echo's highs are very inaccurate but they are not excessive what made bass slam very natural sounding. Like you present at real rock concert. So headphones are quick and naturally pleasant sounding when you listening some underground norvegian blackmetal, when drummer making crazy speed rhythm with his sticks. Mids are very nice, just right, not annoying AKG mids. Low bass is weak and very slow, similar to other orthos I have heard.

So if you are rocker, these cans for you. If you are audiophile, stay away from them. If you want to hear anger and cruel fury in brutal rock, find and enjoy these cans. If you want to listen complicated music, they will sound as garbage for your ears.
Considering their low price, Echo dethroned Koss KSC75 as the cheapest best buy.

These cans suddenly have got FOTM status for head-fiers in Ukraine and Russia and selling now in a hurry. Echo a bit more expensive in Poland delivered from Ukraine, but I know some polish death-, speed-, thrash-metal lovers using these cans.
All impressions are based on Smela Echo, I've never heard Lvov Echo.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #1,463 of 27,137
Wow, Serge, you need to hear some modded Yamaha or Fostex orthos if you think their typical sound is offensively lying. Quite the opposite with those, they can be almost obscenely accurate. Still, a very interesting review of some unknown territory for us here. I'll let Wualta try to figure out what may be producing the signature you're hearing. Thanks for posting, and for the pics!

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #1,464 of 27,137
Well, midbass hump + no highs + no low bass sorta sounds like a loose ortho that needs damping. Which means it may have potential.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #1,465 of 27,137
Thinking of dampening ^).
In a case of complete destroying I have second Echo. These are 6$ each in Ukraine right now.
But this sound was predictable for me. The same sound share lots of soviet acoustics of 80-s, especially in the high register: unclear, muffled and musical anyway.
After dampening I will compare both Echos: with and without modding.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #1,466 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking of dampening ^).
In a case of complete destroying I have second Echo. These are 6$ each in Ukraine right now.

Excellent. I'll take three.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #1,469 of 27,137
According to our Russian chart, the H-16C, the 100-ohm version, is an orthodynamic headphone. Just from the impedance alone, I'd guess the 16 and 40 ohm versions are dynamic types.

What we need to see are photos of the insides, if that's possible.

Back in post #441 Angelic posted this chart. I'll re-post it here for reference.

soviet.jpg

Note that this chart mentions the Echo H-16C but not the Echo TDS-16 Angelic has shown us in photographs. It would be very interesting indeed to know what (if any) differences there are between them.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #1,470 of 27,137
I have the same headphones
Like I said before , there are two type of tds16
Those that we see on the pictures above are the new one
smaller driver unit, and I must say that I agree with the sound character.
Old version i so diffrient to those.

-I'd guess the 16 and 40 ohm versions are dynamic types.

nope, 100,40 and 16 are the ortho
for example my model is 40ohms. There is not to much what we can do to make those sound good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back