Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 24, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #26,116 of 27,137
Hi, just signed up to the forum today because I'm very interested in learning more about headphones in general and more specifically my Yamaha HP-1's. I've been mixing music as a hobby for years and recently have begun mixing some music for local musicians. I recently bought a pair of Yamaha HP-1's out of pure curiosity and fell in love with them. I try not to mix on headphones, but when I have no choice I've started turning to these over my Sennheiser HD-600's. So I did some research on them and ended up here. Looks like I have just a little bit of reading to do (and to think that last night I started Infinite Jest).

May 9, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #26,117 of 27,137
Vito, thanks very much for opening up yet another window into orthodynamic/isodynamic history. I remember Dick Burwen's products from the '70s and have wondered what became of him. I even remember Tech Hi Fi.

It sounds like Burwen imported, and just maybe modified-- photos will tell that story-- the Peerless-MB orthodynamics as described by MB Quart stalwart Willi Presutti in the PMB 100 thread cited in post #34 above. Herr Presutti supplied some excellent photographs as well, which will show you what's probably inside your headphones.

I'm interested in whether, and if so how much, Burwen changed the idiosyncratic Jecklin-inspired earcups of the PMB 100 when he put his name on them. So yes, photos, please, and as soon as possible.

I won't ask you to take them apart, though I'm sorely tempted.

Wualta,
Here are some pictures.
Vito

May 9, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #26,118 of 27,137
Vito, thanks very much for opening up yet another window into orthodynamic/isodynamic history. I remember Dick Burwen's products from the '70s and have wondered what became of him. I even remember Tech Hi Fi.

It sounds like Burwen imported, and just maybe modified-- photos will tell that story-- the Peerless-MB orthodynamics as described by MB Quart stalwart Willi Presutti in the PMB 100 thread cited in post #34 above. Herr Presutti supplied some excellent photographs as well, which will show you what's probably inside your headphones.

I'm interested in whether, and if so how much, Burwen changed the idiosyncratic Jecklin-inspired earcups of the PMB 100 when he put his name on them. So yes, photos, please, and as soon as possible.

I won't ask you to take them apart, though I'm sorely tempted.

Wualta,
Here are some pictures.
Vito

Burwen PMB 8.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 2.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 2.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 3.jpgBurwen PMB 8 4.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 5.jpg
Burwen 1.jpgBurwen 2.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 Box Design.jpg
Burwen PMB 8 Box Design 2.jpgBurwen PMB 8 Box Design 3.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #26,120 of 27,137
I just stumbled upon yahoo japan auctions. There seem to be plenty of orthodynamic headphones there for dirt cheap. For example, Yamaha HP-50A for $20, Yamaha HP-2 for $30 and so on.

Anybody has any experience with importing such items from Japan? Especially to the EU, since I am located in Romania, EU.

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #26,122 of 27,137
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #26,123 of 27,137
Hello guys, I have inevitably stumbled across this insane trove of information about orthodynamic headphones when I was looking up a curious find on local classifieds server - Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones HP-3. It was blind luck as I have whole system based on late 70. Yamaha gear. I bought them for about 25 USD shipped in what was described as good working condition. And they are. They sound much better than I would expect from 40 ears old headphones. I know they arent all that good so i struck gold again.

It has very much similar sound as my Yamaha NS-344 speakers/monitors which is a high praise. I am from Europe and I know that in US you care much more about bass while I preffer the detail in treblle instead of thump in the low end. That said, the headphones start making a sound at about 40 Hz and they level past 100 Hz,which isnt very good bass extension (measured with mobile app so it needs to be taken with big grain of salt) but its the "nice bass" range which the headphones can play nicely. it isnt shaking my head or anything but electronic music can be quite fun to listen to (my favorite sets by Armin van Buuren sound nice). The sounstage is nothing to write home about but I am sure once I get from page 24 of this thread to the end, I will have good idea what to mod if I decide to do so. I like the sound as it ism but the pads are bit worn out and I am sure they were a bit higher when new. not to mention the cigarette smell which could go away fully with changed damping and other porous stuff in there. That is my dilemma - I have plenty of headphones and to be honest, like my speakers more when at home so should I try to improve it or just enjoy it for what it is - nice addition to my vintage (and budget) yamaha hi-fi system in fully original state in quite good codition. Aside the smell, that will be dealth with hopefully using baking soda treatment or ozone treatment if the first one fails. "bath" in IPA helped to get the smell out of theheadband, shells and cable.
20200618_115008.jpg

20200618_115520.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_110955.jpg
    IMG_20200618_110955.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #26,125 of 27,137
I cannot be sure, but this is potentially another Orthodynamic we didn't know about (albeit likely a rebadge).

Dynatron SP6, which seems to be a rebadge of the Peerless PMB6. I asked the seller for some photos which show the text on it.
It is entirely possible it is not an ortho, but I would bet it is.

I am against sharing auction links here, but since it has been relisted 3 times without any buyers here it is in case anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-DYNATRON-SP-6-SP6-STEREO-HEADPHONES/193610054202

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    286 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #26,126 of 27,137
I cannot be sure, but this is potentially another Orthodynamic we didn't know about (albeit likely a rebadge).

Dynatron SP6, which seems to be a rebadge of the Peerless PMB6. I asked the seller for some photos which show the text on it.

I am against sharing auction links here, but since it has been relisted 3 times without any buyers here it is in case anyone is interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-DYNATRON-SP-6-SP6-STEREO-HEADPHONES/193610054202
It needs an extremely powerful amplifier to run.
6 watts should do it.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #26,127 of 27,137

Lol, I've been watching these and hovering over the bid button for the past two weeks-ish. Peerless PMB 6 was exactly my thoughts too (looks identitcal, and certainly looks like an ortho driver in there)... I just can't justify getting any more headphones at the moment. I hope someone here gets them, cheap atm and the Peerless (although I am only experienced with the Telefunken TH700) is certinaly on the better end of the spectrum wrt to vintage orthos imo.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #26,128 of 27,137

Hi Kabeer, good to see you around!
Lets compare the Dynatron with my PMB-6 (below). The biggest difference is the Grille on the inside of the cups, I have never seen such a perforated plastic grille on a PMB orthodynamic. Otherwise, the headset is similar but not identical (many small details differ).

(This PMB-6 was NOS with the pleather still on. I have used it ONCE, and then it peeled as if my skin was hihgly corrosive)

11290590.jpeg

11290591.jpeg

11290592.jpeg

11290589.jpeg

View attachment IMG_4758.jpeg

View attachment IMG_4759.jpeg
View attachment IMG_4760.jpeg

View attachment IMG_4757.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #26,129 of 27,137
I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive a dupe question.

That Burwen can is interesting. I lived in the city that made the DBX, and adjacent to the town Burwen lived in, and followed both outfits fairly closely from '75 - '82. I didn't like their products (although liked the logic behind them). I even knew a member of the Burwen family, but never saw or heard about any cans.

They must have been OEM, and must have come after '82. Info?

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #26,130 of 27,137
Don't worry about the baffle... it's fine.

1596543271624.png

1596543284517.png

They pair very well with AKG K619 DJ ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back