Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #25,426 of 27,137
I wonder why they don't use any dampening? Is it better with nothing?.

Yup. Anything behind the HE-500 drivers totally kills the bass and many other aspects of the sound.
You know how when you put your hands behind Grado cups and it does the same?... with HE-500 drivers you notice it when you pur your hands NEAR the backs of the cups... not even touching the headphone.
They REALLY need to be completely open-air to sound their best.

I'm also using the fuzzor mod and leather Odin pads. Sorbothane made no noticeable difference, so I don't use any.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #25,427 of 27,137
Yup. Anything behind the HE-500 drivers totally kills the bass and many other aspects of the sound.
You know how when you put your hands behind Grado cups and it does the same?... with HE-500 drivers you notice it when you pur your hands NEAR the backs of the cups... not even touching the headphone.
They REALLY need to be completely open-air to sound their best.

I'm also using the fuzzor mod and leather Odin pads. Sorbothane made no noticeable difference, so I don't use any.

You own Grado's??????? Dear god you must be agnostic:wink:

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #25,428 of 27,137
I'm pretty sure we already joined some kind of audio-cult in this thread already :D
That was a few pages/months back though.

(Don't tell the guys in the Grado threads, but I only really keep it around for sentimental reasons... plus it only cos me about $5 in a flea market)

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #25,429 of 27,137
I'm pretty sure we already joined some kind of audio-cult in this thread already :D

(Don't tell the guys in the Grado threads, but I only really keep it around for sentimental reasons... plus it only cos me about $5 in a flea market)

I demo'd a PS1000e earlier this year. Ouch! Let me just wipe the blood from my ears.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #25,430 of 27,137
I demo'd a PS1000e earlier this year. Ouch! Let me just wipe the blood from my ears.
Not only the worst Grado I've heard, but that's one of the worst headphones I've ever heard. I really don't understand it.
If it's any consolation, mine's a heavily modified vintage(?) SR80 (pre 'i') :p

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #25,432 of 27,137

fcuk you. of wait, fikti?? i don't know how to spell it:gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile::gs1000smile:

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #25,433 of 27,137
On another note, have we had anyone here try beyer dt48 pads over any yamaha orthos to make circumaural cans?
You know I JUST noticed those after linking the other Beyer pads in here. I might have to look into this one. Thanks for reminding me of what was right in front of my face.
Good idea there.

You own Grado's??????? Dear god you must be agnostic:wink:

Did have a Grado at one point ( SR60 or 80? first versions I think before everyone got into the "i" life stuff. )
The one main issue I found was the constant twisting around of the cups and resulting cable twists that would not come out after.
Other than that wasn't too bad. Not great but not bad either.
I did use the scotch tape mod around the outer edges of the foam pads to help contain the sound somewhat.

The original Joe Grado HP1 and HP2 are actually very good.

Which had the polarity switch again?

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #25,435 of 27,137
While on the Grado topic, I am using some Grado bowl pads on the otherwise peaky YHD3, and it makes them sound perfect. Have a feeling though since they are black that they used the thin black foam in them, instead of the other yellow stuff seen in the HP-50 types.
if so it has decayed and might be the cause of the peaky sound in them. Trouble is opening them up is the same as the YHE-50 stuff, which is difficult to do without breaking internal tabs.
Involves physically cracking the seam around the edge and some precarious prying.
Grado bowls do look ok but still odd.
Add to the project pile I guess.

off to look up Dbel's excellent eyefoam source there.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #25,436 of 27,137
I feel like this exact question gets asked all the time, but never from those that are already invested in the thread.
Maybe I'm being too heavy handed on my opinion here, but if you're not already able to answer that question, for yourself then there's no reason to continue on...
For me, it's the combination of...Sound, technological interest, modding potential, diy potential and price point for an entry-level planar that can compete with modern cans.

I don't think you're being heavy handed; on the contrary, you were kind of tactful in how you answered me. However, I've only owned three pairs (M1060, HE400i, HE560) and don't feel I can make any generalizations (at least, compared to people on this thread who look like they have a lot of experience with planar headphones). My question pertained mostly to the sound.

1. Tyll's article "How Planar Magnetic Headphones Work" is a good read for this

2. the only exception being the ESP950 which I am still a bit interested in.

1) Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. 2) I'm also interested in the ESP950, especially after I read the excellent review by Steve Guttenberg of Stereophile.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #25,437 of 27,137
Has anyone tried tall pads ( ~30mm tall ) on an HP-1 ?

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #25,438 of 27,137
@Feilong4 I bought some ESP950's for $200. Sent to Koss and I got a free pad replacement and full swap-out (squealing due to dust getting into the electrostat driver). Damn best pair of headphones that I own, considering comfort for my huge head combined with the sound of pure bliss. "Feels cheap" is a real comment, but at $200, it indeed was cheap (to my lucky self). It is the one electrostat that I feel is like the electrostat cousin to my love for orthos.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #25,439 of 27,137
@Feilong4 I bought some ESP950's for $200. Sent to Koss and I got a free pad replacement and full swap-out (squealing due to dust getting into the electrostat driver). Damn best pair of headphones that I own, considering comfort for my huge head combined with the sound of pure bliss. "Feels cheap" is a real comment, but at $200, it indeed was cheap (to my lucky self). It is the one electrostat that I feel is like the electrostat cousin to my love for orthos.

Yeah, I remember that! Damn, I'm still really jealous haha.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #25,440 of 27,137
I do like my esp9s, with loudness enabled on my reciever. The high end is really nice, and the overall sound quality is very smooth, sort of how I might describe a planar. They just have a really nice, hard to describe toe-tapping quality to them. I think it's just the realistic imaging. Hell, I like my esp6 for the same reason, you just need a good source. Too bad they are so damn uncomfortable... The headband is a real nightmare.

Speaking of such things, a gem appeared on the bay, don't fight me for it, it's mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back