Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #25,396 of 27,137
...dearly beloved, we are gathered here today....

OK done.

Don't sweat it there are tons of the T20V2 around still :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #25,398 of 27,137
You feel bad? Why, did you chop them up to make an ortho salad? You didn't know you could still listen to them?

I appreciate the look of the Fostex cans. I just also fell in love with my T20v2 drivers (I think they are much more capable than the ever-so-modder-popular Fostex dt29 drivers) so I had a Gabon Ebony baffle and cup made for them.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #25,399 of 27,137
I have been having some offline discussion with WoH regarding mods to the YHD1 and I thought I would share my "secret sauce" for these ( and other) orthos.

We all know ( as the original manufacturers understood ) that closed cell foam has some amazing properties that make it suitable for modding drivers. Several years ago, RhythmDevils stumbled on a particularly good foam that was consistent across a series of headphones. It seems a little odd but the image below is what I have been using ( along with felts etc ) in many different mods but with particular reference to the YHD1 = it is the only thing you need to make them sing.

It has to be the unlined for sensitive skin type = this is heat press molded and changes the properties of the foam to be perfect for damping.

168ff7d1-86e2-4158-9248-faacf34708d9
upload_2017-12-5_8-23-39.png

I use 1/2 to 2/3 width outer ring as the pads and cut the inner disc in 1/2 to create 2 "roundish" pads to go behind the driver.

Here are my modded YHD1

..dB

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #25,400 of 27,137
What if you just stick them in a separate housing though :deadhorse:

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #25,402 of 27,137
Just received an HE-4XX as a part of a trade. It's pretty damn great!

Pretty much neutral with excellent bass extension - Tyll's measurements show it extends pretty much flat until 20 Hz. FR indicates that it might be bright up top, though I think they're pretty smooth. This seems to clash with Jude's(?) measurements where the bass starts rolling off at about 60 Hz and taking a nose dive after 8 kHz. I don't think a unit variation would vary that much. I think I'm hearing more in line with Tyll's measurements. Makes my T50v0 with Audeze vegan pads seem a bit forward in the midrange and bright up top - not necessarily terribly so and it can be pad swapped for a warmer presentation. The HE-4XX is warmer in comparison and seems to extend lower. The T50v0, I find though, is more resolving. Not sure whether it's because it's brighter, but details are a lot more obvious. Also holds true in the midrange. Just my "30 mins in" impressions. Solid cans. Might be my cans to just kick back and relax.

There are a few small blemishes on the earcups out of the box. Not surprised considering it's Hifiman. Headband, though comfortable, feels a bit cheap. No idea why Hifiman uses a right angle 3.5mm termination - I see this also on the HE-400i. Might make a bit of sense for newcomers in this hobby with the termination on the HE-4XX, but I still would've preferred a straight 1/4" termination. It is driven comfortably loud out of my LG V20 at "50-60" for louder songs and at max (or 75) for one of my songs that's quieter.

I thought I might turnaround these HE-4XX's quick, but I think I might be keeping them for a little while. Much lighter, better weight distribution, and more comfortable than my T50v0 (~418g compared to about ~488g(?)). All while sounding really solid. Edit: Massdrop says it's 370 grams. Odd.

We'll see if I'm just in the honeymoon phase in the coming days.

HE-4XX.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #25,404 of 27,137
I know it's probably an unpopular opinion here, but I don't trust anything Tyll gets his hands on. Maybe it's that too many of the headphones he measures come out looking oddly flat, or the certain "reviews" that come off more like a sales pitch for iffy headphones.
Anywho, may I ask what the trade was?

I think it provides good reference since he has many headphones measured, so people can directly compare to other headphones that he's measured. He's mentioned this in one of his videos as well.

One just gotta try before buying an iffy headphone whenever possible or at least buy from somewhere with a good return policy. I say this but I buy vintage orthos from overseas with no returns haha.

Traded my modded AD2000 away. That was my last headphone with dynamic drivers that ever get head time. The only exception being the M50S that I keep for nostalgia.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #25,406 of 27,137
Tbh I absolutely adore the look of the ad2000. So handsome.

Bucketinabucket That's the list for people that have lain their stock enclosures to their final resting place in a junkyard grave. If I remember correctly, you gutted your wharfedales so I think you qualify.

(It's not an actual list btw, just a joke from a few posts back)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #25,407 of 27,137
I have been having some offline discussion with WoH regarding mods to the YHD1 and I thought I would share my "secret sauce" for these ( and other) orthos.

We all know ( as the original manufacturers understood ) that closed cell foam has some amazing properties that make it suitable for modding drivers. Several years ago, RhythmDevils stumbled on a particularly good foam that was consistent across a series of headphones. It seems a little odd but the image below is what I have been using ( along with felts etc ) in many different mods but with particular reference to the YHD1 = it is the only thing you need to make them sing.

It has to be the unlined for sensitive skin type = this is heat press molded and changes the properties of the foam to be perfect for damping.

168ff7d1-86e2-4158-9248-faacf34708d9

I use 1/2 to 2/3 width outer ring as the pads and cut the inner disc in 1/2 to create 2 "roundish" pads to go behind the driver.

Here are my modded YHD1

..dB

This is genius .
I have a set of those special eye foams around here somewhere, never thought to use them like that though, it looks like a perfect mod.
Even if only using them as pad replacements.

Thanks very much for posting.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #25,408 of 27,137
After listening to so many orthodynamic headphones, would you guys say there are sonic traits that they share in common? Is there really any reason to prefer them? Or if they're just different, what are their main differences in contrast to dynamic headphones? My last three headphones have been planar magnetic. I have noticed that the bass on all three is more controlled and less boomy (some would say less present) than with my dynamic cans. But I have also read about dynamic cans that have very tight and controlled bass. Also what are the main sonic differences, if any, between planar and electrostatic? Would you say the differences are hyped?

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #25,409 of 27,137
I feel like this exact question gets asked all the time, but never from those that are already invested in the thread.
Maybe I'm being too heavy handed on my opinion here, but if you're not already able to answer that question, for yourself then there's no reason to continue on. It's just a money sink if you're not already aware of why you would choose a planar over a dynamic. Electrostatics are a different story... Stats are generally incredibly clean and airy on the treble side and a bit hit or miss on the bass.
For me, it's the combination of a few things. Sound, technological interest, modding potential, diy potential and price point for an entry-level planar that can compete with modern cans.

If none of those things immediately jumped out at you, I would stay away- and actually I'd probably tell you to be VERY wary of the "end-game" hype entirely. If it doesn't satisfy your needs specifically, then it doesn't matter what it costs or how many people swear by it. You might find yourself fully happy with a 30 dollar bluetooth headphone off amazon. That's perfectly fine too.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #25,410 of 27,137
After listening to so many orthodynamic headphones, would you guys say there are sonic traits that they share in common? Is there really any reason to prefer them? Or if they're just different, what are their main differences in contrast to dynamic headphones? My last three headphones have been planar magnetic. I have noticed that the bass on all three is more controlled and less boomy (some would say less present) than with my dynamic cans. But I have also read about dynamic cans that have very tight and controlled bass. Also what are the main sonic differences, if any, between planar and electrostatic? Would you say the differences are hyped?

I think Tyll's article "How Planar Magnetic Headphones Work" is a good read for this. He mentions the advantages and disadvantages of the technology. To paraphrase Tyll, it's like a cross between dynamics and electrostatics in function.

Just in my experience and opinion however, I like planars generally for its powerful and controlled bass response, and seemingly neutral/uncolored midrange. Of course, not all planars carry these traits though. There may be also dynamics and electrostatics that fit the description as well.

I've only briefly owned an SR-407 hooked up to an SRM-310. I didn't like the SR-407 as I thought they were a bit nasal sounding. I've read a few people who mentioned the same thing about other Stax headphones. Not sure about other electrostatics like the ESP950, Kingsound, etc. I never gravitated towards electrostats ever since because they need a dedicated driver unit and that can get expensive - the only exception being the ESP950 which I am still a bit interested in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back