Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #25,336 of 27,137
lol
so someone summon me to this thread..
cheap person indeed.. :wink:
well, actually my T30's, both silver&regular (black) fork has gone to the happy new house several months ago..

wow, what headphone you currently use? i don't remember that fork was broken when you posted it the first time

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #25,337 of 27,137
@ WallofHooligans:
yup, the silver fork are more fragile than the black one..
well, what i'm gonna complain about? they're 80's production..what most important to me that its sound gorgeous..
but really, its should using fork or struts that made from metal, just like their predecessors T50's..
becos' T30 are the most fragile cans on Fostex line-up..it does look cooler than the other, but the broken/cracking fork really are pain in the *ss to recover..

@ruhenheiM:
i'm just retired already..lol
only using apple earbud from ipod photo, to watch movies..
well, still got Victor HP-D50 of my pals though..and Aristona EK400 electret, if needed..just an old projects, for having modded of course..

back to (T30's) topic,
its already have small crack on one side though..the first time i've got the jpn version, i thought its made of metal just like T50's..but several months using it, suddenly it snapped on one side..warning, its really are fragile..

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #25,338 of 27,137
@ WallofHooligans:
yup, the silver fork are more fragile than the black one..
well, what i'm gonna complain about? they're 80's production..what most important to me that its sound gorgeous..
but really, its should using fork or struts that made from metal, just like their predecessors T50's..
becos' T30 are the most fragile cans on Fostex line-up..it does look cooler than the other, but the broken/cracking fork really are pain in the *ss to recover..

Damn, so the forks are plastic?

I don't think I've ever broken a headphone though, knock on wood.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #25,340 of 27,137
@ WallofHooligans:

@ruhenheiM:
i'm just retired already..lol
only using apple earbud from ipod photo, to watch movies..
well, still got Victor HP-D50 of my pals though..and Aristona EK400 electret, if needed..just an old projects, for having modded of course..

back to (T30's) topic,
its already have small crack on one side though..the first time i've got the jpn version, i thought its made of metal just like T50's..but several months using it, suddenly it snapped on one side..warning, its really are fragile..

lol. but you still got some killer headphones over there, what's up with aristona? is there any mods? i remember you posted about that headphone need to get the perfect fit but to achieve that it's not an easy task.i was pm'ed you at local forum, hoping i could get some connections to get an ortho :D

ouch, taking care of it wouldn't be easy. but you still prefer t30 sound to your old nads right?

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #25,341 of 27,137
@Feilong4:
yes, its made of (maybe fiber or hard) plastics..
the black one, even have a small crack as well, but to anticipate i glued it, before it got snapped..lol

Haha, I'll be sure to be extra careful whenever mine comes in. How heavy are they btw in grams stock?

Edit: Nevermind I found a PDF of the specs. It's about 330 grams not considering the cable. If anyone's interested, it's here: http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/FostexHeadphones1977.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #25,342 of 27,137
@ruhenheiM:
oh, so its you bro Winzzz..
both cans are belong to Au-id'ers, not mine though..
i'm retired, only use apple earbud and fake earpods on my iphone box..lol
still got Yammy YH-3 modded, 120ohm diyCans on my brother, JBL Ref 510nc modded on my sister&sennheiser PX200 with dirty disintegrated pleather pads+clicked rattled low end..lol
but really, i'm just retired..

oh, yes of course..
i prefer my T30's modded over my NAD modded..
you might want to confirm to the new owner, but i prefer my T30's VS. most Neo ortho..

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #25,343 of 27,137
@Feilong4:
nice, so T30 are 77's production..

its sure lighter than T50's since the size are more midsize like those entry level Grado's..
so, which version that you have purchased, the black or silver fork?
you might want to try put on beats Detox pads than keep using the stock flat pads..
keep me inform, i would guide how to make the T30 sound more brilliant than the dark stock sounding..

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #25,344 of 27,137
@ruhenheiM:
oh, so its you bro Winzzz..
both cans are belong to Au-id'ers, not mine though..
i'm retired, only use apple earbud and fake earpods on my iphone box..lol
still got Yammy YH-3 modded, 120ohm diyCans on my brother, JBL Ref 510nc modded on my sister&sennheiser PX200 with dirty disintegrated pleather pads+clicked rattled low end..lol
but really, i'm just retired..

oh, yes of course..
you might want to confirm to the new owner, but i prefer my T30's VS. most Neo ortho..

hahahaha. what a journey though, i think it's happier like that than the never ending chasing the dragon

i'm still curious with the fostex ortho

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #25,345 of 27,137
@ruhenheiM:
of course, Fostex'en oldies ortho are rules!

this Victor HP-D50 modded actually not bad at all, it sound similar to NAD modded..that's why i call it "baby NAD" back in the old days..
not to forget that, this only a low-to-mid level of Victor ortho..wondering how impressive are the higher level like HP-D70 or D90..

edit:
wow, WoH got the D70 already..very nicely..
http://www.just-hifi.com/Orthodynamic-Roundup_10478992-1243.html

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #25,346 of 27,137
@Feilong4:

nice, so T30 are 77's production..

its sure lighter than T50's since the size are more midsize like those Grado's..
so, which version that you have purchased, the black or silver fork?
you might want to try put on beats Detox pads than keep using the stock flat pads..
keep me inform, i would guide how to make the T30 sound more brilliant than the dark stock sounding..

Seems like it in that article. In another source, it's said to have began production in 1976. That source here: http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/fostex/T-30.html

I have Audeze vegan pads on my T50v0 which provides a good balance throughout. Maybe slightly leaning towards bright but still very pleasing. I'm gonna slap the same pads on the T30 and see what I get, assuming they stretch over the housing like they do on my T50v0.

oh, yes of course..

Though I haven't directly compared my T50v0 with a lot of modern orthos, I like them quite a bit more than my HE-500 which I've now sold. The only other higher end orthos I've heard are the Abyss AB-1266, HE-1000v1, and HE-6 from a meet. I think the T50v0 still competes with those with a pad swap. I've yet to directly compare them side by side though. That said however, the T50v0 is one of the only headphones that makes me no longer feel the need to "upgrade". That and also my diminishing wallet haha.

Can't wait to get my hands on the T30!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #25,347 of 27,137
@ruhenheiM:
of course, Fostex'en oldies ortho are rules!

this Victor HP-D50 modded actually not bad at all, it sound similar to NAD modded..that's why i call it "baby NAD" back in the old days..
not to forget that, this only a low-to-mid level of Victor ortho..wondering how impressive are the higher level like HP-D70 or D90..

edit:
wow, WoH got the D70 already..very nicely..
http://www.just-hifi.com/Orthodynamic-Roundup_10478992-1243.html

Yep yep, I love my pair. A very interesting sound, with a very poorly built headband unfortunately. I've actually never even seen a picture of the HP-D90 outside of the brochure. I'm of the impression that it was never sold.

Though I haven't directly compared my T50v0 with a lot of modern orthos, I like them quite a bit more than my HE-500 which I've now sold. The only other higher end orthos I've heard are the Abyss AB-1266, HE-1000v1, and HE-6 from a meet. I think the T50v0 still competes with those with a pad swap. I've yet to directly compare them side by side though. That said however, the T50v0 is one of the only headphones that makes me no longer feel the need to "upgrade". That and also my diminishing wallet haha.

I dunno buddy, seems like you've always got a little bit of cash to burn. :jecklinsmile:

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #25,348 of 27,137
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #25,349 of 27,137

yes, please remember that these share are based on my setup, preferences, personal flavor but i prefer my NAD RP18 (kapton) modded VS T50v0..
and then i prefer T30 silver fork/jpn version modded than my NAD modded..
so, i choose the duo T30's over many neo ortho..even if i haven't got a chance to audition HE1000..

the black fork T30 can't be sound as open&airy as the silver one, but got thicker body&fuller low note as the silver one..
i believe it has something to do with the neutrik mini jack terminated on the silver germania cable..the neutrik mini jack making a bottle neck, maybe..
the whole damping&treatment inside are the same for both, yet they sound so different..

Yep yep, I love my pair. A very interesting sound, with a very poorly built headband unfortunately. I've actually never even seen a picture of the HP-D90 outside of the brochure. I'm of the impression that it was never sold.

yes, i'm impressed that Victor using a very good pressed-pulled connection tab instead of using inner wiring like Fostex or OEMs..
and shockingly it is very stable, even without the need of soldering diaphragm to the wiring tab for the cable..
have you trying to dampening them as well? even there's not having much space inside the housing but on D50 using several size&density of felt bring dramatic change on the result..

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #25,350 of 27,137
yes, please remember that these share are based on my setup, preferences, personal flavor but i prefer my NAD RP18 (kapton) modded VS T50v0..
and then i prefer T30 silver fork/jpn version modded than my NAD modded..
so, i choose the duo T30's over many neo ortho..even if i haven't got a chance to audition HE1000..

the black fork T30 can't be sound as open&airy as the silver one, but got thicker body&fuller low note as the silver one..
i believe it has something to do with the neutrik mini jack terminated on the silver germania cable..the neutrik mini jack making a bottle neck, maybe..
the whole damping&treatment inside are the same for both, yet they sound so different..

yes, i'm impressed that Victor using a very good pressed-pulled connection tab instead of using inner wiring like Fostex or OEMs..
and shockingly it is very stable, even without the need of soldering diaphragm to the wiring tab for the cable..
have you trying to dampening them as well? even there's not having much space inside the housing but on D50 using several size&density of felt bring dramatic change on the result..

My T50v0 came with Kapton diaphragms. I believe it's kinda weird as someone pointed out that they didn't know the T50v0 ever had Kapton diaphragms.

T50v0 diaphragm.jpg

I'd say you're not missing out too much if you haven't heard the HE-1000. It's alright. I think Hifiman's own HE-6 is better though I've only demo'd those as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back