Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #25,292 of 27,131
I for one will never understand the HD600/650 hype, these phones are slow, dynamically compressed and outrageously overpriced for what they offer to my ears. Yes these were the silver drivers versions, I used beefy headamps and I understand that dynamating them would help but at this point it'd take a miracle lol. I'll take a 55mm yamie over HD650 anytime.

As @GREQ mentioned, I really like them to just chill. Many people come back to them for a reason and a Yamaha HP-1 isn't currently selling. The FR is pretty much neutral as well.

IIRC, you really like the RP-HD10. I pretty much hate it They sounded blaring and harsh. They also measure very oddly.

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #25,293 of 27,131
I'd rather listen to cheap aliexpress IEM's than HD650 tbh, oh yes RP-HD10 is outrageously unbearable stock, blame the empty double chamber that resonates like a literal tin can but once you fill it with dynamat and add twaron angel hair in the driver cup then it's a whole other story :)

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #25,294 of 27,131
I'd rather listen to cheap aliexpress IEM's than HD650 tbh, oh yes RP-HD10 is outrageously unbearable stock, blame the empty double chamber that resonates like a literal tin can but once you fill it with dynamat and add twaron angel hair in the driver cup then it's a whole other story :)

Well to each their own. I'd love to see how your modded RP-HD10's measure though. Cosmetically, It is a sexy headphone.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #25,298 of 27,131
Variable like the 3, but more comfortable. I have found it is easier to make the 2 sing compared to the 3. Often very close to a well tuned 1.

..dB
I'm thinking about doing some major modifications to one of these sets... But I would like some pointers. What's the best way to undo the rivet on one of these magnetic sandwiches? I don't have any power tools, so no drill press or something like that.
I'm considering doing a little experiment with neodymium rings arranged in a honeycomb array, and held together with epoxy.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #25,299 of 27,131
I'm thinking about doing some major modifications to one of these sets... But I would like some pointers. What's the best way to undo the rivet on one of these magnetic sandwiches? I don't have any power tools, so no drill press or something like that.
I'm considering doing a little experiment with neodymium rings arranged in a honeycomb array, and held together with epoxy.

don't take this the wrong way , but don't

If you want to try and experiment - start from scratch with a frame that can hold the magnets . The Yamaha or original Fostex are not geared towards easy magnet switches. The OPPO PM3 is sort of what you are trying to do
..dB

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #25,302 of 27,131
I don't understand what you mean still. I've read this page before, and I've seen the dis-assembled drivers before. I do believe that I could do better with a better driver, serpentine traces and bar magnets... But my interest isn't exactly in functional terms- it's more about the theoretical ones. What's your point exactly? Is it that you think that my attempts will fail, or you think that there's no additional quality to be pulled out of these? Both of these scenarios are perfectly fine as long as I learn something new.

I do want to make a custom planar, but I'm taking baby steps. That comes after the theoretical questions are answered.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #25,303 of 27,131
I don't think you will be able to approximate the magnets close enough to the driver to keep the contact rings in place without making a frame to hold them. The center pin is attached to the driver, so will additionally need to find a conductive glue to retain this point of trace contact.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #25,304 of 27,131
anyone here get the gorgeous condition silver forked T30?

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #25,305 of 27,131
anyone here get the gorgeous condition silver forked T30?

Right here. I've been looking for these for a while so I'm VERY excited.

Were you part of the bidding war? haha

T30.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back