Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #25,052 of 27,137
I like them, but they hurt the top of my head. I'd probably trade them before selling them.

Hmm, I could probably ask to cancel the order if you are interested in trading for a T20v2 wiith T40v1 diaphragms and magnets. I can throw in the T40v1 chassis, one of the working T20v2 diaphragm, and possibly some damping material - in case if you wanted to try damping them. I only got one cable though.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but both will come with their stock pads.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #25,054 of 27,137
Oct 20, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #25,055 of 27,137
Yeah, my concern isn’t really if I can mod them or not, it’s primarily that I’d have to rip off the glued pads in what seems like a like-NOS pair of YH100’s.

Cool find, these look immaculate.

Just my opinion, but I think you could get away with keeping the stock pads. I never remove them, I gently lift the edge over the screw which keeps the pads intact. There is a trick to this, use a small flat screwdriver and work the edge up gently and slowly. The most likely cause of imbalance is the driver seal to the baffle and deterioration of the original damping pad.

..dB

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #25,056 of 27,137
Cool find, these look immaculate.

Just my opinion, but I think you could get away with keeping the stock pads. I never remove them, I gently lift the edge over the screw which keeps the pads intact. There is a trick to this, use a small flat screwdriver and work the edge up gently and slowly. The most likely cause of imbalance is the driver seal to the baffle and deterioration of the original damping pad.

..dB

The inner edge or outer edge? I actually did this with the HP3 but figured the screws were towards the center on the YH100.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #25,057 of 27,137
Outer edge, see Ludo's post #5890 for the screw positions. I used a different damping scheme but the key thing is to attach the driver to the front baffle. I use speaker caulk (the sticky black stuff from partsexpress) but that seal is critical for any reasonable bass presentation..dB

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #25,058 of 27,137
Hey mdr30
recognize this one :)

DSCF8843.JPG

I just got to looking through some older posts and saw your post on them while I was getting nostalgic ( boy that was a while ago huh ), figured I'd throw mine into the mix.
These have been here for a while.
Did you ever change the pads from the white fabric stock ones
To my surprise these still have the stock black pad coating. Totally slipped my mind how hard it is to find intact PMB oem pads.

Bucketinabucket: Don't forget in the off chance you happen to run across that TDS5 driver, let me know

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #25,059 of 27,137
Lucked out on a relatively good set of yh2, sound pretty spectacular after modding, really don't need to go down a rabbit hole again..... I did dust off some off the oldies and took a stroll down memory lane, the Russian beasties pack some serious bass
..dB

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #25,060 of 27,137
Which Russian Beasties dbel = 'those ones" or some other?

I've not wanted to move the YHD2 into another shell to be honest. Maybe if another shows up.
Do you prefer the 1 or 2 overall?

I recall some nice custom woodies of yours but cannot recall which driver was in those.

oh wait did you mean an HP-2 under the YH designation, or the on ears YHD ones?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #25,061 of 27,137
Yes "those ones" , thanks BMF.

YH/HP2 - common Brown version, just bass heavy which allowed for creative heavy damping.

I transplanted YHD2, have the YHD1 "stock" YHD1 still legendary, puts YH100 to shame all round.

..dB

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #25,062 of 27,137
Thanks ( and yes also TY BMF )
HP2 is one I have yet to try out. Not seen the cream/ivory, black or green ones much. Kalbee had a dark green one I think.

Been looking through Russian forums lately some interesting stuff, info and mods over there.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #25,063 of 27,137
Yes "those ones" , thanks BMF.

YH/HP2 - common Brown version, just bass heavy which allowed for creative heavy damping.

I transplanted YHD2, have the YHD1 "stock" YHD1 still legendary, puts YH100 to shame all round.

..dB
How do you think the YHD1 is in comparison to the YH-1 if you've tried it?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #25,064 of 27,137
Received the Audio Technica ATH-1 today. I might actually like them a bit more than my ATH-2 (which good lord, I spent a quite a bit of time and effort on them to only sound "alright").

First impressions: Surprising amount of bass though seems loose, vocals sound a bit unnatural - a bit shouty?

I've kept the stock damping. I cut out some Mr Clean magic eraser sponge, cut them in half so the driver still fits, and plopped them into each earcup. Put a piece of blu-tack for front dampening (if that's what it's called) on the middle port. I then slapped on Beats Solo 2 Dekoni earpads onto them.

The result? Surprisingly good. A bit v-shaped though vocals sound fairly natural - maybe a dip in the upper mids, bass seems to have tightened up a bit, a bit bright surprisingly - I thought the Beats Solo 2 pads would kill the treble or something.

Overall, I really like them. Lightweight, fairly natural sounding with a bit of v-shape, orthodynamic, and it's an Audio Technica (which is a huge plus for me). Interested in seeing how ESW9 or ESW11 pads are on these. Probably going to slap on an HD600/HD650 headband padding on these.

Does anyone know whether the drivers are Sawafuji drivers like the ATH-2? Does anyone have specs on the ATH-1?

Here are some pictures:

1 - GCcOYxi.jpg
2 - jcniwdJ.jpg
3 - 6uRr7pL.jpg
4 - z9LMiAA.jpg
]5 - dUrfMdq.jpg
6 - QbchacA.jpg
7 - Lq9xATg.jpg

Attachments

• 8 - ptbJvIB.jpg
    8 - ptbJvIB.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0