Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #23,761 of 27,137
Makes me feel a whole lot better about the ever creaking HP-1's:)

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #23,763 of 27,137
^ You can try a dab of Plumbers grease ( silcone lube ) for those Yammies I think., but I can live with creaks.
  I estimate you could buy 160 containers of Silicone grease, times about...say...200 applications per container to your creaking hinges for the price of that fleabay item.

32,000 creak fixes at about 6 per lifetime, that's 5,333.33333 lifetimes worth..... or one fleabay item.

Just putting it into perspective is all :p

But yeah they are kinda "dusty" and dated . No wonder folks go for what Leeperry mentioned.

Back in the olden days we lived with creaks.

THESE DAYS a single creak gets sent back for warranty exchange 3 or 4 times, with up to the millisceond tracking updated. See I even just forgot what my point was. It's what happens.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #23,764 of 27,137
I have the silicone grease on hand. For the 5 bucks it costs it is the cheap fix, no re engineering required.

And no need to buy a set of 1000 dollar modded T50's either.:wink:

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #23,765 of 27,137
I have the silicone grease on hand. For the 5 bucks it costs it is the cheap fix, no re engineering required.

And no need to buy a set of 1000 dollar modded T50's either.:wink:

What got me into modding? Not wanting to pay $300 for a pair of Grado woodiesor $1000 for a pair of T50rp. It might take me a while to get them right, but it's not going to cost that much money...

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #23,766 of 27,137
What got me into modding? Not wanting to pay $300 for a pair of Grado woodiesor $1000 for a pair of T50rp. It might take me a while to get them right, but it's not going to cost that much money...

Truth. The only reason I got pre-modded T50rps was becuase they were on sale cheaper then stock ones heh....
Besides, I enjoy modding. One of the reasons why I got the t50rp. Making them my own, making the sound I like. Showing them off saying I made them sound like that. Its a great hobby to tinker with (much cheaper then my RC cars anyways, and more rewarding then my sugar model rockets)

On a different note, I modded my YH-100s a bit ago, the write up is somewhere pages back. I was complaining how muddy the mids were still after the mod. Well I was just testing them on my sound card in my computer. Went to my dads, plug them into one of the Luxman amps, and by goodness the difference. Lesson learned, power really does matter when trying to drive 150ohm orthros

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #23,768 of 27,137
I'm kinda glad i missed the epic of smeggy. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #23,769 of 27,137
I'm kinda glad i missed the epic of smeggy. 

I am glad I missed it too, it all ended so badly...but the guy did break major ground on T50rp modding...my woodies owe a huge debt to his design.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #23,771 of 27,137
agreed, i always suspicious with the ppl could enjoy a modded T50rp anyway..
well, maybe i prefer anything else but that..lol

I can strongly recommend Nickn's 'make-up' pad mod. Even on a T20RP it sounds fantastic.(same drivers as a T50 anyway)

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #23,772 of 27,137
agreed, i always suspicious with the ppl could enjoy a modded T50rp anyway..
well, maybe i prefer anything else but that..lol

LMAO...modders are a shady crew, I will admit that :). I am a recent convert though, so my love for the T50/40/20rp drivers is still in the honeymoon phase...

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #23,773 of 27,137
It's really hard to keep a luxury cottage industry going. enthusiast groups are littered with tales of fallen icons. 

There used to be a land cruiser enthusiast who had a business called WagonGear. He sold stuff like a $450 kit to turn your FZJ80 tailgate into a storage compartment. 

After a few years, he announced that WagonGear would be going on hiatus, because he and his wife had gone through the books and determined that they were running a charity. 

It's easy to look at a couple panels and a piano hinge and some hardware and say "no way is that worth $450" but it turns out he was losing money on the deal. 

To his credit, everybody got the stuff they bought. 

On a brighter note, it looks like i was the only person to bid on the disassembled YHD-3 on ebay? 

Is there something i don't know about that pile of parts? I'm looking forward to reassembly. Or just putting the drivers in something else. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #23,774 of 27,137

On a brighter note, it looks like i was the only person to bid on the disassembled YHD-3 on ebay? 

Is there something i don't know about that pile of parts? I'm looking forward to reassembly. Or just putting the drivers in something else. 

Ha that is a great note. I forgot to bid actually.
 I posted earlier about pads that fit perfectly ( need securing with contact cement ) a few pages back, there is a picture also of them on one.
 Someone has done the dirty work for you , I would expect many tabs will be broken but there are ways ( got a PM )

Very good score.

GREQ wrote:
I can strongly recommend Nickn's 'make-up' pad mod. Even on a T20RP it sounds fantastic.(same drivers as a T50 anyway)

=== depends on the driver variants really.  there are ways to tone down the highs if you get a "peaker one"
Reduce some rear Micropore tape strips in a diagram, anyone can pm me about that need to do it tonight actually will take a pic I guess.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #23,775 of 27,137
it actually kinda looks like a strut is broken. we'll see. Plenty of fosterfones here at any rate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back