Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #23,492 of 27,137
I'm quite sure they'll outlast us and ppl like shrill sounding dynamics these days
evil_smiley.gif

Does anyone know how many Hp Yh 1's were manufactured?

You'll be crying when the Japanese run out of things to collect and start in on these. They'll be hitting Abyssimal prices then:wink:

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #23,493 of 27,137
Reporting in with a Peerless PMB 8 (unfortunately some lettering and the entire suspension headband is missing)

I can happily tell you that it's 100% functional and sounds alright when paired with earpads from a "Logitech Premium Heaset 350"
Not as comfortable as the now-velour earpads but if anyone knows any better earpads to try out I'm willing to listen.
Ideally I think need something a big flatter like the original HOK-80 earpads as even the extra distance with these pads scoops the upper mids and treble in a slightly unnatural way.

Other than that I don't really think I need to tinker with these any further for now, at least sonically... I will address the missing headband issue at some point.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #23,494 of 27,137
That looks amazing how do they sound?

I'll quote here what I stated on another forum about these:

"They sound extremely natural, with good timbre and the drivers provide nice resolution and instrument separation. Using the thicker and wider HM5 velour pads the soundstage, which is no wonder,  is greatly improved over stock. Bass is deep and extended, does not overblow, male and female vocals are rendered marvellously, the signature being a little laid-back yet not warm, there is no sibilance or false detail, and surprisingly, nothing I would have expected beforehand,  there is a lot of air.
 I guess, I have found a new favourite".

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #23,496 of 27,137
  What about T20v2? what do you use for measurement/tuning?

T20RPv2s require much tighter damping in order to achieve a flat response up to 1kHh. There is noticably more treble energy as well, resulting in a slightly u-shaped response overall. I had to use a kind of fazor/filter of felt in front of the driver in order to bring down the treble to bring it in line with the rest of the spectrum. The HP-1 set is more resolving, more open sounding (no wonder with an open back design)  and smoother in the treble. Soundstage is also better. Overall, I would rank the HP-1 as top-tier, the T20s one notch lower.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #23,498 of 27,137
I have measured the T20v2 performance unmodded (completely open as seen in pic1 on the left) vs modded (damped and closed).

As for the graph of the unmodded configuration (yellow), if you close the cup (which I did not do with this particular set), you can expect an elevation beginning at around 700Hz up to 1 or 2kHz. This is what my measurements generally show, when I try closing cups. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #23,499 of 27,137
My Yamaha HP1 and YH1 sound quite different. From what I understand, only the HP1 can possibly be an anisotropic model.

My HP1 is quite a bit darker sounding than my YH1. Assuming that they are both stock, could the HP1 be an anisotropic model? Based on what I searched and found in this thread, it seems to be true but does anyone else recall the sound difference between the isotropic and anisotropic models?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #23,502 of 27,137
There are certain HP-1s with a slightly different driver. These were sold in black, rather than silver, boxes and have anisotropic magnets, which appear to be the normal ferrite discs used in most HP-1s but with thin, perforated iron or steel plates attached to the outer surfaces of the driver, which very much resembles the later YH-100 driver but is a couple of dB less efficient.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #23,504 of 27,137
  My Yamaha HP1 and YH1 sound quite different. From what I understand, only the HP1 can possibly be an anisotropic model.

My HP1 is quite a bit darker sounding than my YH1. Assuming that they are both stock, could the HP1 be an anisotropic model? Based on what I searched and found in this thread, it seems to be true but does anyone else recall the sound difference between the isotropic and anisotropic models?

I would say different damping of the drivers, and possibly the condition of the pads, are the most likely reason the two models sound different. I once asked Wualta if he'd noticed any difference in sound between the two HP1 drivers, and if I remember correctly they sounded basically the same.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #23,505 of 27,137
We can also add in the condition of the damping. Considering those are more of the vintage type and you might not be the first owner, the different environments might have wore the interior (namely the foam and felt, since MDR30 already mentioned the pads) out different.

By memory my aniso HP-1 sounded a little different stock from the YH-1 too but I wouldn't be able to call it very different. The differences could have been what is already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back