Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #25,411 of 27,137
Stats are all about the right kind. My 007 Mk I is everything I love about planars but just straight better. Better bass, details, airy treble. But 20% better than something like a good modded vintage ortho for 500% the price sure makes you start to examine diminishing marginal utility.

Anyone wanting to get into stats, I'd recommend one of the old cheap Japanese starter sets. Nova Basic, Lambda Spirit, 207. Usually the most tonally balanced of the Lambdas. They can still be had for under $250 when they pop up. Another few bucks for a regulated power supply in your local voltage and you've got a pretty decent setup. Gives you the flavor anyhow. The higher model number lambdas though more expensive are usually wonkier in the freq.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #25,412 of 27,137
Just received an HE-4XX as a part of a trade. It's pretty damn great!

Pretty much neutral with excellent bass extension - Tyll's measurements show it extends pretty much flat until 20 Hz. FR indicates that it might be bright up top, though I think they're pretty smooth. This seems to clash with Jude's(?) measurements where the bass starts rolling off at about 60 Hz and taking a nose dive after 8 kHz. I don't think a unit variation would vary that much. I think I'm hearing more in line with Tyll's measurements. Makes my T50v0 with Audeze vegan pads seem a bit forward in the midrange and bright up top - not necessarily terribly so and it can be pad swapped for a warmer presentation. The HE-4XX is warmer in comparison and seems to extend lower. The T50v0, I find though, is more resolving. Not sure whether it's because it's brighter, but details are a lot more obvious. Also holds true in the midrange. Just my "30 mins in" impressions. Solid cans. Might be my cans to just kick back and relax.

There are a few small blemishes on the earcups out of the box. Not surprised considering it's Hifiman. Headband, though comfortable, feels a bit cheap. No idea why Hifiman uses a right angle 3.5mm termination - I see this also on the HE-400i. Might make a bit of sense for newcomers in this hobby with the termination on the HE-4XX, but I still would've preferred a straight 1/4" termination. It is driven comfortably loud out of my LG V20 at "50-60" for louder songs and at max (or 75) for one of my songs that's quieter.

I thought I might turnaround these HE-4XX's quick, but I think I might be keeping them for a little while. Much lighter, better weight distribution, and more comfortable than my T50v0 (~418g compared to about ~488g(?)). All while sounding really solid. Edit: Massdrop says it's 370 grams. Odd.

We'll see if I'm just in the honeymoon phase in the coming days.

Take those grills off the Hifiman, replace with speaker cloth and that should make a fairly big difference to perceived 'air' and detail.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #25,413 of 27,137
Bucketinabucket That's the list for people that have lain their stock enclosures to their final resting place in a junkyard grave. If I remember correctly, you gutted your wharfedales so I think you qualify.

(It's not an actual list btw, just a joke from a few posts back)
Oh dear I've sent quite a few to that grave...:darthsmile:

I may have gutted several Wharfedales...

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #25,414 of 27,137
^ How did that mod for the HP50A translate over with your OB-Wan modimicashin? i wonder in comparison to these here.
Is the transparency/clarity and spaciousness through the roof while keeping a great improved actual rumbly low end?
Maybe the pads will change things since HP50 are obviously smaller.

=need MOAR D3TAILZ

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #25,415 of 27,137
It has a smallish soundstage (not sure why) but otherwise yes, it sounds so damn good rather like how you described it. Low end's definitely tightened up compared to how it used to be. Perhaps a bit bass-light by my standards, but that would still be a good level of bass to most people as I like my bass, and they definitely still thump when the song calls for it! Mids are as good as ever and the highs are clear and transparent while not being peaky and nasty.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #25,416 of 27,137
Take those grills off the Hifiman, replace with speaker cloth and that should make a fairly big difference to perceived 'air' and detail.

Just tried them grill-less and with one grill off. Not sure if I can tell an obvious difference though. There isn't damping material unlike on other Hifiman headphones.

Maybe slightly wider stage but I could just be imagining it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #25,417 of 27,137
Hmm... might be that it doesn't make as big a difference with the smaller 400 drivers.
It's quite noticeable with the 500s.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #25,418 of 27,137
Hmm... might be that it doesn't make as big a difference with the smaller 400 drivers.
It's quite noticeable with the 500s.

I don't remember, but was there damping material in the HE-500? Though I didn't go back to the stock grills, I still couldn't tell an obvious difference either. I kept telling myself that it's wider.

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #25,420 of 27,137
I don't remember, but was there damping material in the HE-500? Though I didn't go back to the stock grills, I still couldn't tell an obvious difference either. I kept telling myself that it's wider.
HE-500 doesn't have any damping stock, but the grills almost sound like a sort of mild damping after you take them off for the first time.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #25,421 of 27,137
I feel like this exact question gets asked all the time, but never from those that are already invested in the thread.
Maybe I'm being too heavy handed on my opinion here, but if you're not already able to answer that question, for yourself then there's no reason to continue on. It's just a money sink if you're not already aware of why you would choose a planar over a dynamic. Electrostatics are a different story... Stats are generally incredibly clean and airy on the treble side and a bit hit or miss on the bass.
For me, it's the combination of a few things. Sound, technological interest, modding potential, diy potential and price point for an entry-level planar that can compete with modern cans.

If none of those things immediately jumped out at you, I would stay away- and actually I'd probably tell you to be VERY wary of the "end-game" hype entirely. If it doesn't satisfy your needs specifically, then it doesn't matter what it costs or how many people swear by it. You might find yourself fully happy with a 30 dollar bluetooth headphone off amazon. That's perfectly fine too.

Endgame for me are my previously mentioned T20v2's chopped up. I know it's likely a super personal thing for me though, and others wouldn't agree. :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #25,423 of 27,137
Gotta do one side then the other so you can compare.
On another note, have we had anyone here try beyer dt48 pads over any yamaha orthos to make circumaural cans?

Yeah, as I mentioned I left one side with the grill in and the other without.

Just throwing an idea out there but Grado's G cush pads may also work. Probably won't sound too good though and it technically isn't really "circumaural".

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #25,425 of 27,137
Oops, didn't realize that you wrote that in. I wonder why they don't use any dampening? Is it better with nothing?

I've considered the grado pads, but they are sort of size specific, I'd have to measure it out.

Haven't played around with damping though I'm already pretty content with it stock to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back