Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #25,021 of 27,137
Deciding to keep your NAD RP18?

You also got an Aiwa HP500? That's great!
I have two RP18s! Both Kapton editions. I have too many cans really...
I currently use Audeze vegan pads for my Fostex T50v0 which I really like. I think female vocals are really good with those pads. If you wanted a warmer presentation, I can confirm that Ori pads would do just that. I haven't tried many pads on them though.

I use Brainwavz hybrid pads (non-angled) on my T20v1 to help even out the bass and provide a better balance. I did a few mods on them so again, YMMV.
Fair enough, but the vegan pads don't seem to be available to buy in the UK. :triportsad:

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #25,022 of 27,137
I have two RP18s! Both Kapton editions. I have too many cans really...

Fair enough, but the vegan pads don't seem to be available to buy in the UK. :triportsad:

I might just pick one of your pairs up once I get rid of some other stuff I have lying around.

Yeah, the vegan pads are discontinued and they're like a hot commodity to some. You might be able to get a pair with a "wanted" ad in the classifieds.

Edit: I read that the Aiwa HP-500/NAD RP18 is essentially an OEM of the T50. Are the HP-500 and RP18 the same sonically or do they differ a bit with different housings?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #25,023 of 27,137
I might just pick one of your pairs up once I get rid of some other stuff I have lying around.

Yeah, the vegan pads are discontinued and they're like a hot commodity to some. You might be able to get a pair with a "wanted" ad in the classifieds.

Edit: I read that the Aiwa HP-500/NAD RP18 is essentially an OEM of the T50. Are the HP-500 and RP18 the same sonically or do they differ a bit with different housings?
I'm not gonna lie I'm still not sure if I want to sell my other RP18 but if I end up deciding to, I'll hit you up!

And I see, no wonder I can't see them anywhere.

And the HP-500 is semi-open in contrast to the RP18 (and T50) in that the mesh is replaced by a piece of plastic with small holes in it.

attachment.php

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #25,024 of 27,137
I'm not gonna lie I'm still not sure if I want to sell my other RP18 but if I end up deciding to, I'll hit you up!

And I see, no wonder I can't see them anywhere.

And the HP-500 is semi-open in contrast to the RP18 (and T50) in that the mesh is replaced by a piece of plastic with small holes in it.

attachment.php

No problem! Just let me know!

I've been looking around for an Aiwa HP-500 for sale but no luck.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #25,025 of 27,137
No problem! Just let me know!

I've been looking around for an Aiwa HP-500 for sale but no luck.
Those Aiwas really seem to be rare as heck...when I saw one for sale I instantly was like HNNGGGG

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #25,026 of 27,137
for NAD RP18 I would recommend my own custom pads XD
But seriously though, Fostex TH-500 pads should work pretty well. I designed mine with somewhat similar measurements (ear opening size, depth, 'room') but mine have a bit more depth and are not angled.
Buuuuuuut they're seriously expensive pads, so I've never actually tried them, but theoretically should be a good match.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #25,027 of 27,137
Those Aiwas really seem to be rare as heck...when I saw one for sale I instantly was like HNNGGGG

Definitely not letting anyone else know if I see a pair for sale haha.

for NAD RP18 I would recommend my own custom pads XD
But seriously though, Fostex TH-500 pads should work pretty well. I designed mine with somewhat similar measurements (ear opening size, depth, 'room') but mine have a bit more depth and are not angled.
Buuuuuuut they're seriously expensive pads, so I've never actually tried them, but theoretically should be a good match.

Christ, they're 80 USD a pair!

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #25,029 of 27,137
yes.that's because they went bankrupt then sony bought them and failed to revive it so sony discontinued the brand in 2006

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #25,031 of 27,137
Got something really cool today:
BCtL748.jpg
8c0mtYB.jpg
v6aKXzP.jpg
Yd0VUyV.jpg
rutYLpC.jpg

Problem though; they sound, and measure imbalanced:
Yamaha YH100.png

It's a shame, because they look new; there's no wear on the pads or headband. I originally bought this to mod, but I'm actually hesitant to mess with it because of the fantastic condition they're in, especially since the pads are glued and I'd have to destroy the backing to remove them. I also figured out what the problem likely is. One pad has a pleather backing and is glued in the inner and outer lip, while the other has a velour backing and is only glued in the outer lip, meaning these are probably two completely different pads.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with how this turned out--would it just make more sense to sell these to a collector because these are in such good condition and look for a more ragged pair to try to mod?

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #25,033 of 27,137
That's actually a reoccuring opinion, Ishcabible. There's a couple of people lucky enough to pick one of these up and as far as I remember, most have talked about how bad the unmodded sound is. Usually described as colored and middy I think. There's stuff you can do to fix them if you are willing to open em up. If I had them in my hands, I think I would keep them.... But the allure of selling them for 200bones might be pretty hard to ignore.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #25,035 of 27,137
That's actually a reoccuring opinion, Ishcabible. There's a couple of people lucky enough to pick one of these up and as far as I remember, most have talked about how bad the unmodded sound is. Usually described as colored and middy I think. There's stuff you can do to fix them if you are willing to open em up. If I had them in my hands, I think I would keep them.... But the allure of selling them for 200bones might be pretty hard to ignore.

Yeah, my concern isn’t really if I can mod them or not, it’s primarily that I’d have to rip off the glued pads in what seems like a like-NOS pair of YH100’s. Plus since the pads don’t match, I’d have to find new pads that’d fit these and the cups are either too big or too small for most of my pads. They seem to have pretty bad ringing in the upper mids and the bass seems kind of loose, which surprised me. If anyone’s interested I’ll be glad to sell, especially a collector because these are in impeccable condition. Normally I don’t fear modding a headphone—I’ve even made a nodding tutorial for the SR-007MK2, but it seems like a shame to me to futz around with these too much. Though, I guess it’s also a shame to never use these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back