Orpheus / Baby Orpheus Issues
Mar 1, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

So as some of you may know, I recently acquired a complete Orpheus Headphone System. When this system was setup at my parents place in Saratoga, there was absolutely a clean black background. I have a PSAudio P600 and a Shunyata Hydra-2. At my parents place, both of these devices and just the plain wall socket sounded great; low noise floor, no noise.

However, now let me scoot forward to San Francisco. This is my pad, my apartment. I set everything up last night, and I didn't notice anything. In fact it sounded pretty good, if even a tad bit 'rougher' than at my parents place. However, the issue now arises that I hear, in only the left earcup of the HE90 and only the right Earcup of the HE60, a sort of 'buzzling'. It sounds like the sound of interference, or electricity on sandpaper, or what have you. It is pretty quiet on the HE90, and a bit louder on the HE60. However, this completely interrupts with the Jet Black noise floor. In fact, it sounds 'messier' in general, and less tight.

I know the power leaves a lot to be desired in the city, so that is why I have these power related devices. However, regardless of what power combination I plug this system into, I still hear this noise. It varies as well, from completely going away, to being quite present (although it cannot be heard through the music, it doubtlessly colors the sound; I psychologically listen for it). I thought since the P600 regenerates power, that this issue, if it was in fact bad power, would solve this. I guess not.

Additional Info: When I used to have just my Baby-O system (HEV70), I always thought the issue was with the amp. I've never tried it in Saratoga, but after a day of being on, it would become unlistenable because it would start humming badly, along with a much exacerbated version of what I have just described, and only in, get this, the LEFT ear of the HE60. Strange indeed. I have sent this amp back to Sennheiser, but apparently they were not able to reproduce this issue (one which is patently obvious when it occurs, and it does regularly for me over here).

So my issue is, am I running the risk of ruining this setup? Is it the ingress or noise inherent in the power? What could it be? Has anyone else experienced anything along these lines?

Thanks Everyone,
Neil

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 22
let me borrow the equipment for a while and I'll try to see what's going on. you know where to ship them to.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 22
Hmmm.. remind me to never leave you alone in my apartment. I'm sure I'd fine you gone, gone from the state
mad.gif

=====

Could the membrane's be dirty? Additionally, I have the Orpheus standing on top of my DV50s and and underneath this, but not touching is my D70 which is literally on top of (and touching) my P600. Could there be some interference? I'm waiting for a custom rack to come in.

With my Earmax Anniv. I had issues resting the power supply on the hardwood. The rug (strangely) is ok, but the hardwood would cause line noise. Could this be how electrostats demonstrate line noise? However the ear assymetry causes me to doubt this slightly...

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 22
“in only the left earcup of the HE90 and only the right Earcup of the HE60”

It sounds like one interconnect or something is picking up noise and one of the 2 amps has the channels reversed? An overall electrical problem would manifest itself in both channels?

How’s it all hooked up? Sources and all? It’s still there in it’s simplest form 1 source and 1 amp plugged into the same outlet? Any dimmers, fluorescents bulbs etc on the lines?

Mitch

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 22
I had a HEV70 -> HEV90 plug adaptor made for me by a friend who happened to post in this thread already (LOL) maybe it got reversed? Anyway, there are all sorts of power issues here, like if I turn on some lights on a dimmer, it will buzz on the audio equip in that room. But this room is generally fine, but who knows. The one channel thing has got me buggered though. Right now, no noise. But it comes and goes.

Neil

edit: ust checked, AYT did make it right. The channels are the same on both phones, so I guess the interference really does manifest on opposite sides. Something to do with the amp topography?

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 22
Could be a tube problem?

My SDS-XLR had a slight hiss type noise in one channel,changed the tube and all was well.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
I had a HEV70 -> HEV90 plug adaptor made for me by a friend who happened to post in this thread already (LOL) maybe it got reversed? Anyway, there are all sorts of power issues here, like if I turn on some lights on a dimmer, it will buzz on the audio equip in that room. But this room is generally fine, but who knows. The one channel thing has got me buggered though. Right now, no noise. But it comes and goes.

Neil

edit: ust checked, AYT did make it right. The channels are the same on both phones, so I guess the interference really does manifest on opposite sides. Something to do with the amp topography?

Hi Neil,

With the system on and making the buzzing noise -- make a note of which channel has the buzz. Then go to the back of the CD player & swap the interconnects over. Listen for the buzzing.

If the channel of the buzzing changes -- then it maybe something due to the CD player or CD-players interconnects.

If no change -- then it's likely to be downstream components (such as the HEV90 or HE70 etc).

Also - make sure you're using fully shielded interconnects as this will help reduce noise.

--Jatinder

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 22
I think it may be coused by a unstatable power supply at your apartment (there is some equipments can enhance and pure the power sourse out the market). did you try to move it to your friends house, see what would happen?

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 22
You need to isolate the source of the buzz:

1. Try two different sources (cdp/ipod etc)
2. Try different cables
3. Swap valves round: not sure what the valve life is on an Orpheus, but valves are a consumable..
4. Try differrent power source (although it sounds like you have)
5. Turn off the fridge!
6. Try different headphones

The buzz swapping from one channel to another between the two sets of headphones would suggest one of them is out of phase in any case. Get a test cd (or lp) to check this. Or play a beatles record! (they always seem very left and right to me..)

In my experience (not huge) mains hum comes though both channels. Something single channel tends to be created within the system.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 22
Well, as of right now and late last night, the buzz is completely gone and everything sounds awesome. I switched out a power cable from the orpheus and plugged it directly into the P600. No problems so far. If I were to guess, I'd say there is some sort of electromagnetic or AC inteference in the area. The city always has construction work going on etc... and who knows how bad the lines get. Next time I get the buzz, I will check on this. Right now everything is jet black. It literally sounds like it's off when no music is playing; which is very good.

The more I listen to this system, the more I am blown away, in terms of sheer SQ. The Orpheus has this knack to make almost anything sound good. A lot of high end headphone systems (minues SDS-XLR BAL HD650) I have heard seem to be very revealing but not very fun. This system seems to be both! I can turn the volume way up and it doesn't fatigue (and hence the danger; I can't really tell how loud I am listening sometimes since there is a complete lack of effort and it stays linear to even extreme levels). Everything is imbued with this creamy sort of lush smoothness, and effortlessness. Even old crappy recordings take on this coloration.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back