Oritek OMZ price increase
May 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Golden Monkey

Headphoneus Supremus
Ori's raised the prices for his OMZ's...
DAC only = $599 (was $529)
DAC/HP amp = $899 (was $799)
DAC/Preamp w/remote = $1499 (was $1325)

Got mine just in time...question remains as tohow long he'll continue making them though. I still think at this price, you're getting a product WELL worth its price. Just thought I'd share, in case anyone was considering this DAC, and still had the previous price in mind for their budget.

May 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ori's raised the prices for his OMZ's...
DAC only = $599 (was $529)
DAC/HP amp = $899 (was $799)
DAC/Preamp w/remote = $1499 (was $1325)

Got mine just in time...question remains as tohow long he'll continue making them though. I still think at this price, you're getting a product WELL worth its price. Just thought I'd share, in case anyone was considering this DAC, and still had the previous price in mind for their budget.

I have been enjoying mine for a few months. At times I have thought that maybe I should sell it. But I do not think there is much out there under $1250 that would be an improvement.

May 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 49
Haha, seems too many "OMG OMZ" type threads drove the price up
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 49
Great dac even at $1000. Not to give Ori any ideas....

Probably up just to help him gas up his scooter...He lives in Cali. What is the price per there now? $8?

May 23, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, seems too many "OMG OMZ" type threads drove the price up
wink.gif

Purely a coincidence... GoldenMonkey bought his unit a bit in a hurry because he knew of the upcoming price increase (sorry about that).
Making the OMZ is a labor-intensive process. I just realized that I spent most of the last 3 days putting together a single preamp version of it.
Gas for the scooter? I got an electric... It is California after all...
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 49
I just paid $4.39 a gallon for premium
frown.gif

I think at the time I drove down to San Jose to buy my DAC from Ori, I paid $4.19, so that pretty much slapped another $60 onto the price of the DAC, but I can't blame Ori for that, lol...

I was aware that the price was going up (Ori was up front about that, and it wasn't a ploy to get me to jump now), and I really wanted this DAC right away anyway, so I had to jump through some hoops to be able to purchase it when I did. My main motivation wasn't to avoid the price increase, it was because of the possibility that he wouldn't be making them by the time I could realistically afford it. It's not as if there are not other options out there for my dollar, but it's sort of like collecting classic cars. Sure, there are plenty of old Mustangs out there, but there sure as hell aren't too many AC Cobras...

As for the price increase, I can totally understand where Ori's coming from. After meeting him, I realized that he really pours his heart and time into his designs, and his passion for great sound is something he COULD keep to himself, but would rather share with the world. He's definitely not in it for the money, as he has a "real" job in addition to a family and other interests besides churning out DACs and cables. The return on investment for the materials, the time spend improving the design of the DAC, build times, answering emails, shipping, etc. has to be very minimal (the return, NOT the time spent...just want that to be clear). Besides, the market is such that I can't imagine he's got a huge backlog of orders to fill...it must be pretty spotty. Nothing wrong with making it worth the time! I definitely got what I paid for. So would anyone else moving forward...

May 23, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 49
Just curious, how big improvement it is with current version comparing to

OMZ 2.5A ver 1.2 (before the option of digital board processor removal and optical switch)
OMZ 2.5A ver 1.3 (right after the new plate is available)

I have those at home and like them very much

May 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 49
Email Ori and see...he may still be able to update your DACs. Not really sure how they compare to the older versions (but of course, you were probably asking him, and not me :wink:

May 24, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, how big improvement it is with current version comparing to

OMZ 2.5A ver 1.2 (before the option of digital board processor removal and optical switch)
OMZ 2.5A ver 1.3 (right after the new plate is available)

I have those at home and like them very much

I own 2.0A V1.2, 2.0A V4.1, 2.5A DAC/PRE and soon one more 2.5A DAC/HAMP.
tongue.gif

You will get better dynamics, clarity and details from the V4+ upgrade. Noise is a lot lower, so music sounds more pleasant. The best is the DAC/PRE which has no place for noise to hang around anymore. Get the DAC/PRE if you want hear to what perfect audio reproduction sounds.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 49
Yeah, the DAC/PRE is SICK...I listened to Ori's, and my DAC in an A/B comparison, and it made me wish I had an extra grand to spend, but honestly...I'm happy with the DAC all by itself. It's not "oh man, this sucks compared to that" by a long shot...the sound is very similar, but the combo is just THAT much more natural and musical. Not enough to cause me to rethink my purchase...I'm happy as a clam with the DAC.

May 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 49
The basic DAC mod can be done very very cheaply if you DIY. Not taking anything from Ori's fine product but if you are resourceful and have a soldering iron you can save a lot of money. Time IS money though, the parts cost for a buffer is shockingly cheap.

May 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 49
I'm enjoying my DAC\Pre in my speaker system.
Also reduces ICs needed by one pair. The remote
is very convenient for volume and multiple sources.

I agree with Bordin's assessment of the v4.1 upgrades.
More transparent then the pre-upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back