Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #6,693 of 7,940
how would they make it better?...better color choices?
A couple of thoughts on this topic as I see a few responses.

First, I do not feel the upgrade to Traillii is a Jewel.
Second, of course the Traillii can be upgraded and should be. It is not even in the same ballpark as a Susvara or a 1266. So there is allot of room. How does it get there, that is up to the Old Man. But I for one certainly hope he does his homework and creates another breakthrough be it with better BA’s, the best DD or some other technology.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #6,694 of 7,940
A couple of thoughts on this topic as I see a few responses.

First, I do not feel the upgrade to Traillii is a Jewel.
Second, of course the Traillii can be upgraded and should be. It is not even in the same ballpark as a Susvara or a 1266. So there is allot of room. How does it get there, that is up to the Old Man. But I for one certainly hope he does his homework and creates another breakthrough be it with better BA’s, the best DD or some other technology.
it isnt in the same ballpark as the abyss or susvara because of physics but I highly doubt the technology at this moment exists to do much better just as it doesnt exist to do much better than the abyss or susvara...

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #6,701 of 7,940
Thanks to those who responded to my previous comment on the present-day relevance of the bird and apologies if my wording came across as a bit strong.

After more time with the Traillii, my initial impression totally changed. Some days ago, I was thinking of selling the Traillii and by now, I am in love with it. The initial lukewarm reaction came from my expectations of what bass should be. The lack of impact is more than compensated by the IEM's wonderful ability to bring air into the music and give it distance between voice and instruments. And here is the surprise for me - where I really miss a visceral bass response, I do get a physical feedback from other sources such as guitars. It is like the attention is taken away from bass towards the multiple instruments. And this is a wonderful experience which makes me relisten to a lot of songs. I also really appreciate the Traillii's physical appearance, it is so light and small. I also like the PW cable and the VanNuys case which is both good looking and functional. No clutter or hefty boxes here.

I decided to keep my Evo as a complete juxtaposition to the bird. Sadly, the Odin sits somehow in between and will need to go, although it is a wonderful IEM in its own right.

Have a great Tuesday all :)

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #6,702 of 7,940
traillii is still one of the best iems i’ve heard.

It is revolutionary in the iem world for its layering abilities and timbre accuracy, no doubt.

enjoy it!

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6,703 of 7,940
Yeah agreed with what was said here before. I think we might have to accept that trailli, especially with Orpheus, will be the top dog for a very long time. Just like Susvara has not really been bested for half a decade now. I can't imagine how this technology could be implemented much better, and I can't see another technological advancement like estat hybrids coming very soon. The Trailli is very susvara-like, in that it excels at everything at once. And while it has weaknesses, those are rather small, almost non-existent with the Orpheus.

Even without listening to it, just from the reviews, I can already tell that the Jewel isn't a real competitor. The soundstage and positioning are inferior. To outdo the bird you have to at least match them.

Before the bird the u18t was king of the hill for three years. People liked fourte, but its treble was sibilant and positioning inferior. u18t had that tia driver and abyss/susvara level detail (people were saying that at the time -- and I sorta agree to this day, while not as natural sounding, it is incredibly resolving). The first estat hybrid that was really threatening to outdo it was Thummim, but that was too weird and unreliable an IEM. Trailli perfects this formula.

It's about technology and implementation, it seems. Even getting to the same level of implementation of the estat hybrid seems to be impossible for competitors, let alone besting it.

Personally, all I'm missing from the Trailli is an APEX like pressure exchange valve. Ear drum fatigue is its only problem. Is that an engineering impossibility, though?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #6,704 of 7,940
Thanks to those who responded to my previous comment on the present-day relevance of the bird and apologies if my wording came across as a bit strong.

After more time with the Traillii, my initial impression totally changed. Some days ago, I was thinking of selling the Traillii and by now, I am in love with it. The initial lukewarm reaction came from my expectations of what bass should be. The lack of impact is more than compensated by the IEM's wonderful ability to bring air into the music and give it distance between voice and instruments. And here is the surprise for me - where I really miss a visceral bass response, I do get a physical feedback from other sources such as guitars. It is like the attention is taken away from bass towards the multiple instruments. And this is a wonderful experience which makes me relisten to a lot of songs. I also really appreciate the Traillii's physical appearance, it is so light and small. I also like the PW cable and the VanNuys case which is both good looking and functional. No clutter or hefty boxes here.

I decided to keep my Evo as a complete juxtaposition to the bird. Sadly, the Odin sits somehow in between and will need to go, although it is a wonderful IEM in its own right.

Have a great Tuesday all :)
From the way you describe it I can tell you have discovered the Bird’s magic.. :) It is the only IEM that puts me inside the music. Enjoy!

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #6,705 of 7,940
I love the jewel, but I agree that it doesn't necessarily "beat" the bird.

I am not sure, but I feel like the jewel was tuned based on the bird, and was an attempt to deliver a similar level of ultra-totl detail and refinement with the addition of a dd.

Soundstage on the jewel is actually quite good, and it definitely has more depth than bird. But jewel's stage is also not as wide as bird's, nor is its timbral accuracy quite as sharp as the traillii.

It's funny you mention the lack of pressure relief. After getting the jewel, and once my custom xe6 arrives, it may very well be the the lack of any venting or apex-like tech on the bird that ends up keeping it out of my ears more than the other two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back