Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Nov 18, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #5,686 of 7,995
Mojo and traillii…

:heart_eyes:

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #5,687 of 7,995
Yeah I wouldn't describe RS6 as boring either, one of the more meaty and engaging DAP signatures I have heard. I would have imagined it would be amazing with Traillii.
Hmm. Another example of how different ears hear things so differently. I actually demo'ed the Traillii on the RS6, did some AB with the 3MTi on the spot too. Not sure about the condition of the demo unit but right off the bat, I found the RS6 to be a bit too bright for my taste. Further listening, the Traillii sounded decidedly 'fuller, richer' and more balanced on the 3MTi. Probably me because I also didn't like the N6ii with any modules and I can tell you like that too; not that they're bad, just, well, sorry for saying this -- bit meh to me.

Based on what I have heard over the past few days, I can attest that the Bird scales exceptionally with better sources and material; for some pieces, mostly classical crossover and piano pieces, Evgeny Grinko, Joep Beving, Christian Loffler, the higher the resolution the better, I believe the Traillii on the DMP-Z1, in the head-fi universe, is as good as it gets. Certainly not endgame but very good to know the ceiling as we know it yesterday can still be pushed higher tomorrow.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a hifi snob here, just sharing how much more the Traillii can deliver with good match-ups with cables, components, software. The same may be said for other IEMs and it may not do some of the things specially tuned IEMS can, like what the EVO or LX do for bass, Annihilator or X do for trebles, but for me, so far, the Traillii is quite the complete package.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #5,688 of 7,995
As @gLer mentioned I have an RS6 with me and been listening to the Traillii on it, up against my R8. Some notes I was taking:
  • Does vocals incredible well in terms of smoothness, richness, and organic detail. It is soft and alluring without any digital edge but sounds full and not glossed over or "anti aliased" to the point of being unnatural.
  • Bass wise it is a little les punchy. A little limited in sub bass relative to R8. Midbass thicker and a tad more “gooey”
  • Stage sounds a little flattened. Still very wide but loses some depth relative to R8. You get all the detail but it’s less articulate, less layered. And there is less “space” around individual sounds. Can also dampen instrument liveliness a little.
  • It has more body and thickness. This lends to its organic and deliciously smooth vocal portrayal. Sometimes a little too much...like Carla Bruni. She’s a little too smooth? Missing a bit of her characteristic huskiness.
  • The other caveat of is that the thickness somewhat reduces holographics. It has beautiful, almost haunting vocals, but on tracks where they often "float" between the stage, that three dimensionality is partially diminished.
  • Back to staging….it’s like the size is there (width) but the space in between is a dark grey as opposed to pitch black of R8.
  • On the aspect of bass again…adds a bit of body and “bloat” (bad word…maybe just more weight) while sub bass not as prominent. Meggie Lennon “Mind Games” a good example. Should have a solid thump with some sub bass accompaniment. And as the song builds the bass line should be controlled and tuneful. It’s more controlled and articulate on R8 with more apparent sub bass.
  • Putting it all together together in one song.....the sub bass weight and background blackness and stage depth and vocal smoothness…differences are highlighted in Myrtille’s "Ramer".
  • Again, it is not related to lack of detail or wooliness. Simply the way the sound is processed and presented. I’d say the R2R overall is a niche sound, at least with Traillii. To my ears the biggest "issue" is three dimensionality - which is one of the bird’s magical traits - and is lost a bit on RS6. Think that’s purely just a matter of the DAP's tuning.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #5,689 of 7,995
As @gLer mentioned I have an RS6 with me and been listening to the Traillii on it, up against my R8. Some notes I was taking:
  • Does vocals incredible well in terms of smoothness, richness, and organic detail. It is soft and alluring without any digital edge but sounds full and not glossed over or "anti aliased" to the point of being unnatural.
  • Bass wise it is a little les punchy. A little limited in sub bass relative to R8. Midbass thicker and a tad more “gooey”
  • Stage sounds a little flattened. Still very wide but loses some depth relative to R8. You get all the detail but it’s less articulate, less layered. And there is less “space” around individual sounds. Can also dampen instrument liveliness a little.
  • It has more body and thickness. This lends to its organic and deliciously smooth vocal portrayal. Sometimes a little too much...like Carla Bruni. She’s a little too smooth? Missing a bit of her characteristic huskiness.
  • The other caveat of is that the thickness somewhat reduces holographics. It has beautiful, almost haunting vocals, but on tracks where they often "float" between the stage, that three dimensionality is partially diminished.
  • Back to staging….it’s like the size is there (width) but the space in between is a dark grey as opposed to pitch black of R8.
  • On the aspect of bass again…adds a bit of body and “bloat” (bad word…maybe just more weight) while sub bass not as prominent. Meggie Lennon “Mind Games” a good example. Should have a solid thump with some sub bass accompaniment. And as the song builds the bass line should be controlled and tuneful. It’s more controlled and articulate on R8 with more apparent sub bass.
  • Putting it all together together in one song.....the sub bass weight and background blackness and stage depth and vocal smoothness…differences are highlighted in Myrtille’s "Ramer".
  • Again, it is not related to lack of detail or wooliness. Simply the way the sound is processed and presented. I’d say the R2R overall is a niche sound, at least with Traillii. To my ears the biggest "issue" is three dimensionality - which is one of the bird’s magical traits - and is lost a bit on RS6. Think that’s purely just a matter of the DAP's tuning.
I think you captured all my qualms with the rs6.

It loses coherency to my ears because the stage I expect out of Traillii becomes something I’m totally not accustomed to. Out of my 1Z I get a nice black background and it’s easy to differentiate sounds. Out of my mojo I get a much more intimate sound but all of the aspects of the stage are shrunk down in equal proportions - so it’s still coherent and just makes the bird sound more musical, which I’ve come to enjoy.

The RS6 just sounds like a muddy mess. The bass is overshadowed by vocals. All of the default “proportions” of the bird seem out of whack and it would take a LOT of time to get accustomed to that sound signature IMO.

An expensive mistake - but a nice gift for my dad because he was complaining that the zx502 battery life is doodoo.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #5,692 of 7,995
...but for me, so far, the Traillii is quite the complete package.
yeah, this is where the traillii basically pulls ahead of everything else out there, and why I believe its price is justified.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #5,693 of 7,995
Following a very enjoyable night of Bandcamp virtual crate digging, I am now listening to one of my purchases on the Bird. Absolutely beautiful - for those of you who enjoy modern classical, this really is stunning.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #5,694 of 7,995
Out of my mojo I get a much more intimate sound but all of the aspects of the stage are shrunk down in equal proportions - so it’s still coherent and just makes the bird sound more musical, which I’ve come to enjoy.
Nice.

This is a really good way to describe mojo’s sound.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #5,696 of 7,995
I personally think shrinking the soundstage on the Bird is like clipping its wings. But to each his own.
It can afford some shrinkage.

Plus, you can use it with multiple sources. :smiley:

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #5,699 of 7,995
The bird reduced to $3,999 on Musicteck (5 units), so begins its serious decline in value. This really bugs me, it was a huge decision to spend this much and to see it drop to this price has me annoyed!

Edit - I've calmed down since listening again and realising how common discounts of 20% actually are...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #5,700 of 7,995
The bird reduced to $3,999 on Musicteck (5 units), so begins its serious decline in value. This really bugs me, it was a huge decision to spend this much and to see it drop to this price has me annoyed!
Sorry to say but $4K was always its true value (with or without the cable). I wouldn't be too upset about it - a few K in the greater scheme of things comes and goes, but the pleasure you've already gotten from it and will continue getting has no real price on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back