Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,736 of 7,995
Not sure that it’s, “ridiculous.”

if one doesn’t want to spend ~$7k msrp on an iem, it makes quite a bit of sense not to go with the traillii.

Also, if someone must have a dd traillii is a no go.

could be a whole bunch of reasons, really.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,738 of 7,995
Not sure that it’s, “ridiculous.”

if one doesn’t want to spend ~$7k msrp on an iem, it makes quite a bit of sense not to go with the traillii.

Also, if someone must have a dd traillii is a no go.

could be a whole bunch of reasons, really.
Probably 100/1 sales ratio MEST/Traillii.

BGGAR, at least he listened to Traillii before passing judgement. I happen to not agree with him.

MEST is as good as or better than many sets twice its price and better than anything I have heard that costs less at what it does. Which I hear as high energy presentation. Traillii is quite different more subtle balanced and sublime to my ears, hands down better than MEST.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,739 of 7,995
Probably 100/1 sales ratio MEST/Traillii.

BGGAR, at least he listened to Traillii before passing judgement. I happen to not agree with him.

MEST is as good as or better than many sets twice it’s price and better than anything I have heard that costs less at what it does. Which I hear as high energy presentation. Traillii is quite different more subtle balanced and sublime to my ears, hands down better than MEST.
I totally agree with this. When considering which is ‘better’, price really shouldn’t come into the equation. ‘Better’ should not be confused with ‘better value’.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,740 of 7,995
I totally agree with this. When considering which is ‘better’, price really shouldn’t come into the equation. ‘Better’ should not be confused with ‘better value’.
Better is also a matter of personal taste... That's why we should use prefer.
I think all of the Traillii praisers should remember this :relaxed:
I bought them, then sold them. I prefer my MAD24 :yum:

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,741 of 7,995
Who knows, he might be taking other things into account. That being said, he also rates the Elysian X very highly and that is not cheap and comes with a bundled cable.
The MEST mkii is good, there is a consensus on that for sure. When having the Odin and Mest, I was listening mainly to the Mest mkii. However, people listening to the Trailli admit there is something special. If you approach the bird with a prejudge that it will lack bass, you might miss the point.

I was just listening to Royal Blood - Oblivion.
UM Mest mkii - Xenns Up - LegendX SE - Traillii.
Well... I still prefer the Traillii. I hear more elements. The Mest comes second yes. I would love to have a discussion with someone who will prefer the Xenns Up to the Traillii if money is out of the equation.

Don't get me wrong, I question myself often about the bird, to be sure I don't become a fanboy.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #3,742 of 7,995
I couldn’t agree more with the above.

I’m not trying to start a subjectivist versus objectivist debate, but I’ll say this anyway: it’s all based on preference. Full stop.

It’s similar, to me, when people say “the goal is to reproduce music as close to what the artist intended”. First, how can that ever be known? Second, what if I like something different than what the artist intended? I’m not objectively wrong because our goals are different.

Objectively, I think we’re all after (close to) the same thing: to enjoy the music and gear as much as possible.

Some people may put more weight on enjoying the gear (how it looks, how it fits, how it feels). Some people may put more weight on how it sounds (at the expense of how it looks/feels/fits). Both sides can be “right” for different people.

To use a silly example, pretend I’m a 14 year old, who puts weight in what my friends think, what brands I wear, and a whole LOT of bass. If that’s what I’m after, someone would be wrong by telling me the Traillii (or Susvara or Utopia or Abyss) are better than my Beats. I prefer the Beats.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3,743 of 7,995
Heh I’m probably one of the biggest “fanboys” of the Traillii but it isn’t perfect, nothing is. The value in it to me comes from the fact that I personally feel like I can put them in and push play and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. Can I do this with sets that are 1/4th of the cost or even cheaper? Sure… but not to the level I hear the Traillii able to do it for my tastes.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,744 of 7,995
Heh I’m probably one of the biggest “fanboys” of the Traillii but it isn’t perfect, nothing is. The value in it to me comes from the fact that I personally feel like I can put them in and push play and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. Can I do this with sets that are 1/4th of the cost or even cheaper? Sure… but not to the level I hear the Traillii able to do it for my tastes.

You know if you put the Traillii in your ears, you're going to have a very satisfying listen whatever genre you have on.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,745 of 7,995
Actually, you can't do that right now.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3,748 of 7,995
I think all of the Traillii praisers should remember this
I bought them, then sold them. I prefer my MAD24

In case this is aimed a little bit at me I did say “my ears”, and “I heard”. Agree with you though everyone is not the same, and is looking for possibly something different in the music and the presentation they find awesome.

BGGAR did also put MEST over the Mason FS and “to my ears” I do not agree with that either, both are little bit of Apples and Oranges in comparisons to the MEST. Both fruits are good for you and taste good, in this case to “my taste buds” I like oranges better.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #3,749 of 7,995
In case this is aimed a little bit at me I did say “my ears”, and “I heard”. Agree with you though everyone is not the same, and is looking for possibly something different in the music and the presentation they find awesome.

BGGAR did also put MEST over the Mason FS and “to my ears” I do not agree with that either, both are little bit of Apples and Oranges in comparisons to the MEST. Both fruits are good for you and taste good, in this case to “my taste buds” I like oranges better.
I am actually perplexed by all the love for the MEST. I own the MEST OG and I like them a lot. But, I prefer the Thieaudio Monarch to the MEST OG because the tuning is more to my preference. The Traillii is significantly better than the MEST to my ear by a wide margin.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,750 of 7,995

Edit: Oops, just realized your comment wasn’t a reply to me.

(my comment) Wasn’t aimed at you, or anyone in particular. I’m always happy when people find something they love to listen to!

I just appreciated the nuanced comment from MrLoco about better versus preference.

I occasionally spend time going through r/headphones over on Reddit and the objectivist runs strong over there right now. I must be harboring some angst from recent time over there lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back