Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,732 of 7,929
Can this IEM sound like an high end open back headphones or is asking too much?
I think it's very difficult if not impossible to compare the sound of IEMs to headphones. That said, you can certainly compare the enjoyment of sound, if not the actual physical experience 1:1.

WRT Utopia, I can only go by my session notes having heard it quite a while ago, but I distinctly remember not being very impressed by the amount of bass (especially sub bass), something which the Bird has no issues with whatsoever. And bass being the first check on my checklist, you can guess which one I'd enjoy more.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #2,733 of 7,929
I think it's very difficult if not impossible to compare the sound of IEMs to headphones. That said, you can certainly compare the enjoyment of sound, if not the actual physical experience 1:1.

WRT Utopia, I can only go by my session notes having heard it quite a while ago, but I distinctly remember not being very impressed by the amount of bass (especially sub bass), something which the Bird has no issues with whatsoever. And bass being the first check on my checklist, you can guess which one I'd enjoy more.

When you are taking the headphone journey and then land on Utopia, I know what you mean. There are thicker bassier headphones out there. After you dip in the IEM world and go back to check out Utopia, you will be surprised how much body, technicality, and bass it has. I'm sure if you have Audeze next to it, that sensation will be ruined quickly :sweat_smile: Sometimes I go back to my Utopia or Stax only to remind myself that all the note weight perception for IEM is only at IEM scale. Different use and joy for me and no question the bird is good.

As a side note, I think I have a perfect pair now. Oriolus Mk2 being the warmer and richer bird with strong vocals, and Traillii the spacious all-around beauty.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,734 of 7,929
As a side note, I think I have a perfect pair now. Oriolus Mk2 being the warmer and richer bird with strong vocals, and Traillii the spacious all-around beauty.
That's interesting. I can get a MK2 but don't know much about it. I'll look into it. If there's a good review you know of I'd be very interested.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,735 of 7,929
That's interesting. I can get a MK2 but don't know much about it. I'll look into it. If there's a good review you know of I'd be very interested.
I just googled and on a quick look, headphonia's review seems close to how I perceive it.

If I swap Traillii iem only with Mk2, I get similar spacious quality in Traillii with stronger W character with an emphasis in the mids. Treble is slightly less than Traillii and the bass is a slower DD bass. Female vocals really pop with Mk2. Mids/vocal strength has been a common impression from what I see in Mk2 thread. Some people found the treble too aggressive but that depends on source/cable. If you are ok with Traillii, I think you will be ok with Mk2 but YMMV.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,736 of 7,929
How is the percivali. I’ve been interested in it but theres not much out there.
This might offend some people but I prefer the Percivali over the LX SE. The bass on the LX SE is still amazing but the quantity is still a bit too much.
The fit on the Percivali is much better since shell is smaller.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #2,739 of 7,929
How does the tonality and overall FR differ from the LXSE?
tonality wise, both are slightly warm sounding. The LX SE low end still stands out.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #2,742 of 7,929

I have to fly the 3DT flag here. If you're looking for a W sig with more body and intimacy for vocals check the 3DT. Its a steal at the musicteck sale price and with a simple filter mod to catch some of the (unfortunate) shout you're treated to an incredibly impactful and textured bass (2DDs for bass to bring out detail) with a beautiful mid range for vocals and strings. Recent FR graphs of modded 3DT on the 3DT thread mirror closely the Isabellae tuning, which itself is being recieved positively.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,743 of 7,929
20ED8B2C-622C-49AC-9FDF-9B20EDF5E013.jpeg

A splash of red and black.
IEM bird heaven.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,744 of 7,929
Just received my Bird. I don’t know audio jargon well. But wow words fail me. I do not regret this blind buy, the detail retrieval is just superb.

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,745 of 7,929
Just received my Bird. I don’t know audio jargon well. But wow words fail me. I do not regret this blind buy, the detail retrieval is just superb.

Enjoy! The whole presentation is so cohesive and effortless. I keep um'ing and ah'ing over the standout feature but it's very hard to pick just one. Let us know your thoughts in due course, with or without audio jargon :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back