Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #2,582 of 7,967
Honestly after last night's controversial blast it feels a bit like getting over the climax without scoring - sorry for the wording.
But in all seriousness for me the Traillii is indeed sounding not only different but really better in terms of resolution, texturing, high end sparkle and even low end punch than my LCD-2 and Denon AH-D9200 on Shanling M8 with a fun engaging signature while still keeping great cohesiveness over the frequency band.

That's why I will sell my other cans soon unless my DX MAX won't bring different results.

Might be that serious amping will bring some advantages for these cans but still it's not worth the hassle for my limited space requirements even at home.

The same applies for upgrading my cans to the likes of Utopia and reading that you'd need to have a stack with again the same price of the headphones to have a setup that sounds adequate different (and for some ears better) than Traillii with some 1.5-3k TOTL DAP.

That's why I consider these as my endgame for now for both mobile as well as stationary usage.

Will observe the R2R developments but kind of feel when reading the threads that the achievements in terms of analogue signature are kind of compromised with the rest of the properties like dynamics and noise, so feel like wanting to wait for next gen DAPs addressing the "child deseases" and potentially offering an even more interesting package which is worth the update.
M8 will in that regards stay my baseline for analogue signature based on old school circuits

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #2,583 of 7,967
Man I always miss all the a action living in a different timezone 🙄
Don’t think anyone is buying a Traillii solely for the purpose of getting rid of their headphones. They’re entirely different uses and purposes. That’s like comparing speakers to headphones, they’re simply not really comparable. It’s also been said multiple times that the Traillii in terms of IEMs does just about everything you could want. It’s not going to bring Legend X bass or anything like that. It’s about a total package without giving up much of anything.

There are a handful of IEMs that do certain aspects better, but there are none that I know of that can do everything to this level in one package.
100% this. Simply can't compare speakers to headphones to IEMs in terms of what each does best. That said, you could easily prefer one over the other, though I'm yet to meet anyone who genuinely prefers headphones and IEMs after listening to a pair of high-end speakers in a properly treated room.

For me it's not even the sound characteristics but the use case. I'd be listening to music far less often with speakers or headphones compared to IEMs. It's as simple and as complex as that. I don't tether to a desk, and can't clear out the room (and house) for speakers. So if I want TOTL sound anytime, anywhere, it's IEMs or nothing. Heck I'm even looking at TWS so I can listen to music MORE.

As for Traillii, regardless of sample size, I can't for the life of me believe anyone can listen to them and NOT like them. Sure they may prefer other IEMs for some things (I know I do), or in rare cases the fit may not be ideal, but sound-wise it's about as consistently excellent as anything I've heard in any format.

Would it replace everything? Not for me, since it doesn't have LX bass, and what's life without LX bass? But it would replace Fourte simply because of the overlap. Would it replace headphones and speakers? Only because it's an IEM (see above).

And of course, all of this is simply my opinion, a data point in a galaxy of data points in the universe of hobbies.
It's obvious that for a lot here, after a certain point, chasing new gear has less to do with SQ and it's more about getting excited about something and getting some kind of rush in the head . Thinking about new ideas and experiences excites them and after a while the allure is not there anymore and the chase continues.
If for some reason comes a day when there's no more room for improvement ,many will feel that they're not that into music anymore and will get into other hobbies. Lol
Well observed. For many (myself included) the chase is as much a part of the excitement as anything else. Once that initial euphoria is over, the cycle starts up all over again. Unless you go cold turkey (and that means necessarily giving this place a wide berth) that hunger never really leaves you.
Speaking of bad pairings.. Fourte with M11 Pro.. nooooooope. Don’t do it.
Hehe, for sure not. Bright/clinical THX amp + Fourte is a recipe for disaster. R8 is a great pairing, and M8, R01 or P6 Pro probably even more so with Fourte, but definitely not FiiO DAPs. I switched to HiBy after finding the M11 too analytical for my liking, and the M11 Pro is even more so. Another bonus point to Traillii though, it pairs well with just about anything.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,584 of 7,967
100% this. Simply can't compare speakers to headphones to IEMs in terms of what each does best. That said, you could easily prefer one over the other, though I'm yet to meet anyone who genuinely prefers headphones and IEMs after listening to a pair of high-end speakers in a properly treated room.

🙏 for hijacking again. I think I've made a little sense of this crazy world and you're all my tutors

+1 for speakers!

My speakers aren't high end; my amp is at least 20 years old and my room is certainly not treated!

But I can't take them on a dog walk; and my headphones are a little large and noisy for out and about (and who loves the tinny noise coming from someone else's iems/hps?).

Still stalking the trailli ..... but I don't think I need a Cayin C9 (which I've also been stalking as I love shiny new gear as much as the next guy!)

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,585 of 7,967
1623075285223.png

Traillii vs Mason FS, a strength of the Traillii is that it plays all genres of music well. Leading to this comparison; what various tracks sounded like to me using both IEMs. I did not focus on technicalities or trying to explain them. I was influenced by the recent graph discussion on the Oriolus Traillii thread, cannot unlearn that.

Remembering the fitting words of @Rockwell75 in reference to the late hype train for the Mest OG “Bone Conductor, something, something, something…” there is “something” going on in the upper mids and highs they sound (maybe even feel) kind of tingly to me.

Traillii and the Mason FS are priced the same, the Mason FS being a limited edition, a standard lower priced version is available, still priced in the upper echelon of IEMs. I believe these both pair well with the P6 Pro. For me the edge goes to the Traillii, the Mason FS just does not have the bass presentation it should have for the price, in my opinion, it has the volume and does create rumble, it lacks control and does not stay put, bass is also a little slow for my taste.

I can see the Mason FS being a good choice for some, if the music that they listen to takes advantage of the strengths of the Mason FS and does not have too much of a negative impact from the bass presentation. On some tracks the slow bass added some gravity to the song.

Volume matching was close here with the P6 Pro on high gain, Traillii 27, Mason FS 30.

1623075329616.png

Suphala: album The Now, this album is centered around the tabla and percussion, where the quite often electronic drums of dance music are partly replaced by the persistent rhythms of the tabla and other live percussion sounds. This music is quite dynamic with a wide range of instruments vocals and electronic tricks going on.
Track: Secret Language, includes the tabla, various sounds, piano, flute, horns, and fretless bass.

Traillii presents, space and more space between the instruments, percussion never gets painful, bass in the sub region is evident and stays there. The timbre of the tabla high note hits makes me smile.

Mason FS bass is more assertive, slower, encroaches on the mids, though does have nice volume. Piano is a bit further back and more drowned out. The high treble of the flute is nice to my ears. Drums sound slightly less crisp. Not as much instrument separation as the Traillii.

For this music I preferred the Traillii that said the Mason FS flute solo work here sounded better on the Mason FS than it did on the Traillii.

1623075371487.png

Vladimir Horowitz: album Mozart Piano Sonatas
Track: Piano Sonata #3 Rondeau Allegro

Mason FS the piano has a bit more vibrato, Mason FS seems to be tuned for this. Note weight is good, the high register comes off with great authority. The low keys and low mid bass keys are more present than they are on the Traillii. Looking forward to other people diving more into this type of music with more experience than I have who can better describe how the Traillii and Mason FS handles this kind of music.

I preferred the Mason FS, not by a large margin.

1623075401959.png

Bill Evans: album Sunday At The Village Vanguard
Track: Gloria’s Step Take 2, Live recording, Piano, Standup Bass, Drums wire brush, wine glasses, chairs moving around, talking.

Mason FS piano high register is clear, lower register and bass mingle a bit too much, snare and symbols remain on top. The Mason FS creates a bit more bass rumble than the Traillii does. The noises from the Village Vanguard are more noticeable, colliding a bit more with the stage, you can more clearly hear sounds like Bill moving on his bench.

Traillii bass notes are fast with good decay, there is more air in the track than with the Mason FS, the piano upper register has less volume. The atmosphere of the Village Vanguard is outside the space of the musicians, creating a feeling of sitting at one of the tables sipping a glass of red, hearing some of the best music ever recorded.

I preferred the Traillii on this track.

1623075440214.png

Tool: album 10,000 Days
Track 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2), song starts out with a bass line, symbols and a building thunderstorm. What follows a long build up is mania, with muted stretched chords, driving bass, one of my favorite percussion sounds the tabla makes an appearance, at least that is what it sounds like.

Traillii has less bass volume, Mason FS bass notes and thunder hit harder decay slower, making it more ominous sounding. As the guitars stretched notes come in, they are drowned out, it is only when the guitars frequency increases that the guitar comes a little more forward. As the song builds and the vocal volume raises as well as the drumming picks up, guitar starts to rip, the advantages of the Traillii approach becomes apparent.

On this track I preferred the Traillii although I did enjoy that more ominous sounding intro.

1623075473137.png

Herbert Von Karajan: Berlin Philharmonic album: Holst The Planets
Track: Op.32. H125 – Mars, The Bringer Of War

This is a track that many are familiar with. Traillii plays this track very well, Mason FS in contrast takes the strings and horns a little further. More visceral. The bass bleed that burdens other genres has less impact here, nevertheless, is still present and in this case lifts what is there which I liked.

This one goes to the Mason FS.

1623075519464.png

Pallers: album The Sea Of Memories
Track: Another Heaven, this is an atmospheric track, electronic keyboard, and restrained vocals, those familiar with the later two albums of the band Talk Talk will find some similarity here.

Traillii is perfect for this track, the bass implementation is beautiful to hear. Mason FS also plays the track well, the vocals come of slightly better on the Mason FS, and some of the higher register electronic sounds shimmer a bit more.

On this track it is a toss up.

1623075555151.png

The Mason FS loan period is over for me, it heads back to Andrew today. It has left an impression on me. I am already missing the unique presentation.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,586 of 7,967
1623075285223.png

Traillii vs Mason FS, a strength of the Traillii is that it plays all genres of music well. Leading to this comparison; what various tracks sounded like to me using both IEMs. I did not focus on technicalities or trying to explain them. I was influenced by the recent graph discussion on the Oriolus Traillii thread, cannot unlearn that.

Remembering the fitting words of @Rockwell75 in reference to the late hype train for the Mest OG “Bone Conductor, something, something, something…” there is “something” going on in the upper mids and highs they sound (maybe even feel) kind of tingly to me.

Traillii and the Mason FS are priced the same, the Mason FS being a limited edition, a standard lower priced version is available, still priced in the upper echelon of IEMs. I believe these both pair well with the P6 Pro. For me the edge goes to the Traillii, the Mason FS just does not have the bass presentation it should have for the price, in my opinion, it has the volume and does create rumble, it lacks control and does not stay put, bass is also a little slow for my taste.

I can see the Mason FS being a good choice for some, if the music that they listen to takes advantage of the strengths of the Mason FS and does not have too much of a negative impact from the bass presentation. On some tracks the slow bass added some gravity to the song.

Volume matching was close here with the P6 Pro on high gain, Traillii 27, Mason FS 30.

1623075329616.png

Suphala: album The Now, this album is centered around the tabla and percussion, where the quite often electronic drums of dance music are partly replaced by the persistent rhythms of the tabla and other live percussion sounds. This music is quite dynamic with a wide range of instruments vocals and electronic tricks going on.
Track: Secret Language, includes the tabla, various sounds, piano, flute, horns, and fretless bass.

Traillii presents, space and more space between the instruments, percussion never gets painful, bass in the sub region is evident and stays there. The timbre of the tabla high note hits makes me smile.

Mason FS bass is more assertive, slower, encroaches on the mids, though does have nice volume. Piano is a bit further back and more drowned out. The high treble of the flute is nice to my ears. Drums sound slightly less crisp. Not as much instrument separation as the Traillii.

For this music I preferred the Traillii that said the Mason FS flute solo work here sounded better on the Mason FS than it did on the Traillii.

1623075371487.png

Vladimir Horowitz: album Mozart Piano Sonatas
Track: Piano Sonata #3 Rondeau Allegro

Mason FS the piano has a bit more vibrato, Mason FS seems to be tuned for this. Note weight is good, the high register comes off with great authority. The low keys and low mid bass keys are more present than they are on the Traillii. Looking forward to other people diving more into this type of music with more experience than I have who can better describe how the Traillii and Mason FS handles this kind of music.

I preferred the Mason FS, not by a large margin.

1623075401959.png

Bill Evans: album Sunday At The Village Vanguard
Track: Gloria’s Step Take 2, Live recording, Piano, Standup Bass, Drums wire brush, wine glasses, chairs moving around, talking.

Mason FS piano high register is clear, lower register and bass mingle a bit too much, snare and symbols remain on top. The Mason FS creates a bit more bass rumble than the Traillii does. The noises from the Village Vanguard are more noticeable, colliding a bit more with the stage, you can more clearly hear sounds like Bill moving on his bench.

Traillii bass notes are fast with good decay, there is more air in the track than with the Mason FS, the piano upper register has less volume. The atmosphere of the Village Vanguard is outside the space of the musicians, creating a feeling of sitting at one of the tables sipping a glass of red, hearing some of the best music ever recorded.

I preferred the Traillii on this track.

1623075440214.png

Tool: album 10,000 Days
Track 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2), song starts out with a bass line, symbols and a building thunderstorm. What follows a long build up is mania, with muted stretched chords, driving bass, one of my favorite percussion sounds the tabla makes an appearance, at least that is what it sounds like.

Traillii has less bass volume, Mason FS bass notes and thunder hit harder decay slower, making it more ominous sounding. As the guitars stretched notes come in, they are drowned out, it is only when the guitars frequency increases that the guitar comes a little more forward. As the song builds and the vocal volume raises as well as the drumming picks up, guitar starts to rip, the advantages of the Traillii approach becomes apparent.

On this track I preferred the Traillii although I did enjoy that more ominous sounding intro.

1623075473137.png

Herbert Von Karajan: Berlin Philharmonic album: Holst The Planets
Track: Op.32. H125 – Mars, The Bringer Of War

This is a track that many are familiar with. Traillii plays this track very well, Mason FS in contrast takes the strings and horns a little further. More visceral. The bass bleed that burdens other genres has less impact here, nevertheless, is still present and in this case lifts what is there which I liked.

This one goes to the Mason FS.

1623075519464.png

Pallers: album The Sea Of Memories
Track: Another Heaven, this is an atmospheric track, electronic keyboard, and restrained vocals, those familiar with the later two albums of the band Talk Talk will find some similarity here.

Traillii is perfect for this track, the bass implementation is beautiful to hear. Mason FS also plays the track well, the vocals come of slightly better on the Mason FS, and some of the higher register electronic sounds shimmer a bit more.

On this track it is a toss up.

1623075555151.png

The Mason FS loan period is over for me, it heads back to Andrew today. It has left an impression on me. I am already missing the unique presentation.

I'm actually half convinced UM nerfed the bone conduction (huh huh) in the Mest II to make way for the release of the Mason.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,588 of 7,967
Shanling M8 demo arriving Wednesday, really looking forward to seeing how this pairs with the Traillii. It’s been on my eye for months but for some reason I never pulled the trigger. I’ll report back in a few days. :) Based off what I have read about the M8, I feel I will love it.

Nice can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,590 of 7,967

send them back...now.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,592 of 7,967
Jun 7, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,593 of 7,967
Or: a bird knows how to sing but you need to learn how to listen properly 😉

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,594 of 7,967
Just got a Campfire Audio mesh bag. It works way more effectively than the red one included.

Good news is that I can still use it to keep the W2 and the 2.5 to 4.4 adapter separate, also fits the USB adapter for the W2 and a set of extra tips.

Much more effective use of the space. Pretty happy with it at this point.

Attachments

• 7BADE667-8693-455D-90B4-AFE06A08D170.jpeg
    7BADE667-8693-455D-90B4-AFE06A08D170.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back