Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,191 of 7,929
M8 vs DX300 (sound signature)

Man, that’s super helpful. Thanks!

Based on what you describe, the M8 seems more up my alley. I do like some extra bass thump! And with the Traillii’s level of detail, the added warmth would pair well. Maybe why so many here have it!

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #2,192 of 7,929
Man, that’s super helpful. Thanks!

Based on what you describe, the M8 seems more up my alley. I do like some extra bass thump! And with the Traillii’s level of detail, the added warmth would pair well. Maybe why so many here have it!
Definitely let us know once you try them out together and if you can, involve other DAPs so you get a feeling for what you prefer.
Crazy imagining all the blind purchases I have done in these Corona times without opportunities to demo but luckily there are defined return periods at least if you buy in your own country...plus it's great to get all the valuable feedback in this forum 👍

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,194 of 7,929
Looks can be deceiving.
Thus I never rely on graphs ...for much of anything really. A graph wont display tone, timbre, emotion etc. I have never seen soul on a graph...graph away gents.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,195 of 7,929
fourte has landed and bird gave me a funny look.

won't be able to listen until later...been a while since i experienced the weirdness.

looking forward to it.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #2,196 of 7,929
Thus I never rely on graphs ...for much of anything really. A graph wont display tone, timbre, emotion etc. I have never seen soul on a graph...graph away gents.
Who ONLY relies on graphs for anything? That would be dumb and NOBODY does it, not even Crinacle who measures everything. It would be as dumb to exclusively use graphs to make product purchases as it would be to completely ignore them as being useless. There is clear utility in graphs. If there weren't, nobody would be doing them. The most important way I use graphs is for EQing. Not all monitors take kindly to EQing. Some, like the Z1R, become magical when you do EQ them. Over time, you can create your own preference curve so fine tune your monitors to your own taste. Moreover, in a hobby that is so dramatically impacted by subjective impressions, it is helpful to ground yourself in something objective like a graph. None of this is a replacement for actually hearing and critically listening to a product. But even then, our own hearing deceives us and we need tools for eliminating expectation bias such as that built up by reading hundreds of posts on a thread about how great and infallible a monitor is when we know instinctively that no product is perfect. Yes, we hype things up so much that sometimes we can't be objective anymore.

I always look at the graphs to try to learn more about how what I am hearing correlates to measurements so that I can begin to better understand what is going on. I use graphs the same way I do professional reviews, user impressions and technical specs. I use them as INPUT for creating short lists of products I may want to purchase or audition. When I see something that surprises me, that's a good thing, because it is an opportunity to learn something about audio that I didn't know before. What did I learn here? That a big scoop in lower treble might not be a problem, but I am wondering what impact this will have when pairing it with a transformer tube amp. Since tube amps achieve tube sound by introducing distortion to the 2nd and 3rd harmonics, how will this be impacted? That is a question worth investigating and testing which is something I will be doing when I get my Traillii. I only decided to do this test because I saw the graph. That's why I NEVER ignore graphs.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,197 of 7,929

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,198 of 7,929
Who ONLY relies on graphs for anything? That would be dumb and NOBODY does it, not even Crinacle who measures everything. It would be as dumb to exclusively use graphs to make product purchases as it would be to completely ignore them as being useless. There is clear utility in graphs. If there weren't, nobody would be doing them. The most important way I use graphs is for EQing. Not all monitors take kindly to EQing. Some, like the Z1R, become magical when you do EQ them. Over time, you can create your own preference curve so fine tune your monitors to your own taste. Moreover, in a hobby that is so dramatically impacted by subjective impressions, it is helpful to ground yourself in something objective like a graph. None of this is a replacement for actually hearing and critically listening to a product. But even then, our own hearing deceives us and we need tools for eliminating expectation bias such as that built up by reading hundreds of posts on a thread about how great and infallible a monitor is when we know instinctively that no product is perfect. Yes, we hype things up so much that sometimes we can't be objective anymore.

I always look at the graphs to try to learn more about how what I am hearing correlates to measurements so that I can begin to better understand what is going on. I use graphs the same way I do professional reviews, user impressions and technical specs. I use them as INPUT for creating short lists of products I may want to purchase or audition. When I see something that surprises me, that's a good thing, because it is an opportunity to learn something about audio that I didn't know before. What did I learn here? That a big scoop in lower treble might not be a problem, but I am wondering what impact this will have when pairing it with a transformer tube amp. Since tube amps achieve tube sound by introducing distortion to the 2nd and 3rd harmonics, how will this be impacted? That is a question worth investigating and testing which is something I will be doing when I get my Traillii. I only decided to do this test because I saw the graph. That's why I NEVER ignore graphs.
Use away...your message is all over the place, but you have lamely attempted to call me out before on my posts and were embarrassed then as well. My advice to you is to block me if I can't state an opinion and you can read it without going off the rails.

If my opinion is I don't rely on graphs, then that is my opinion, how can you tell me anything about my personal opinion. If you can see soul, emotion, timbre and tone from a graph you certainly are a better man than I.

I clearly don't need a graph to see your emotion just got the best of you.

Reading the words in my post would help......not once did I utter the "only rely on graphs". Goosfraba!

There certainly was no reason to publicly cane me. I am mellowing in my old age.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #2,199 of 7,929
Moreover, in a hobby that is so dramatically impacted by subjective impressions, it is helpful to ground yourself in something objective like a graph. None of this is a replacement for actually hearing and critically listening to a product. But even then, our own hearing deceives us and we need tools for eliminating expectation bias such as that built up by reading hundreds of posts on a thread about how great and infallible a monitor is when we know instinctively that no product is perfect.

Completely agree that we can use objective measures to guide and ground us (especially with novel IEMs), however all subguy was expressing was personal opinion and didn't actually advocate ignoring graphs...

There wasn't a need to take an offensive position in your arguement. This is how actual conversation and exchange is derailed on forums.

Anyways, whats the eta on your Traillii @HiFiHawaii808 ?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,200 of 7,929
Well, I plugged the W2 into my laptop and did my best to volume match my laptop to my iPhone 12. Placebo or not, the iPhone sounded congested compared to the laptop. Surprisingly, the W2 out of the laptop was much closer to the SE200 than I expected. Unfortunately, I'm not rolling to the grocery store with my laptop in my shopping cart.

Right now I'm using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter for the Traillii into the SE200, which I don't like because it sticks out two inches from the DAP and is a bit wobbly.

I've seen a ton of complimentary things said about the Shanling M8 and the Traillii. I think I might reach out to see if I can demo an M8. If I like it, I may switch. If not, I may see about reterminating the Traillii cable to 2.5mm and be done (famous last words)...
I seem to be in the minority, not sure why haha. Excellent sound of iPhone 12, but mediocre sound out of my Macbook M1. I mean, I am not complaining for portable purposes, but the laptop synergy is less dynamic and layered with the W2.

As @FooFighter mentioned, M8 and W2 are closer than you'd imagine. M8 more lower mids and midbass focused, and W2 more subbass and upper mids. M8 is overall a bit more full at slight expense of speed of transients versus W2.

To date, I have not found anything that paired poorly with Traillii.

Edit: I preferred M8 over DX300 (Mk1) slightly due to smoother treble and a bit more "mature" sound, but with all the swappable AMPs, might be time to hop back on DX300 for me lol.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,201 of 7,929
My custom Traillii got delayed. :sweat: Seems that I will need to wait all the way into July or potentially even later. Andrew has been kindly helping me to push Oriolus.

Need to find some other toys to keep myself busy for the time in between. :)

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,202 of 7,929
My custom Traillii got delayed. :sweat: Seems that I will need to wait all the way into July or potentially even later. Andrew has been kindly helping me to push Oriolus.

Need to find some other toys to keep myself busy for the time in between. :)
Buy a red Bird and sell it when the custom is ready... :)

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,203 of 7,929
I seem to be in the minority, not sure why haha. Excellent sound of iPhone 12, but mediocre sound out of my Macbook M1. I mean, I am not complaining for portable purposes, but the laptop synergy is less dynamic and layered with the W2.

As @FooFighter mentioned, M8 and W2 are closer than you'd imagine. M8 more lower mids and midbass focused, and W2 more subbass and upper mids. M8 is overall a bit more full at slight expense of speed of transients versus W2.

To date, I have not found anything that paired poorly with Traillii.

Edit: I preferred M8 over DX300 (Mk1) slightly due to smoother treble and a bit more "mature" sound, but with all the swappable AMPs, might be time to hop back on DX300 for me lol.
I love M8 but I have been considering picking up a DX300 again, although not sure why.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,204 of 7,929
I love M8 but I have been considering picking up a DX300 again, although not sure why.
Pls post your impressions with the bird vs M8 if you really will purchase one.
I won't buy one a 3rd time before I am not getting convinced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back