Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,177 of 7,994
Traillii is like the Chuck Norris of IEMs. You can't graph Traillii, it graphs you! 😝
Last few posts have been hilarious, thanks.

Traillii is indeed the Chuck Norris of iems...nice one, @gLer.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,178 of 7,994
<3 BAA9D6C8-3C13-4DE3-A6EE-B7407204206D.jpeg

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #2,180 of 7,994
What is going on with 4-8k? That looks like a problem to me.
And this is the issue with using a simple graph measurement only to try and tell what an IEM will sound like. Your question is a good one to ask, but I think the answer may be we should not use the graph measurement alone to understand the sound of an IEM. Even in the 2 channel world where it might be a bit more straight forward, top designers use both measurements and their ears when designing audio equipment.

I also have a thought. If we use a piano to show all the fundamental frequencies most often used, they only range from 27.5hz to 4186hz. Above this are the overtones as you know. Perhaps the key is to immediately reduce their intensity? We need some members who might work in this area to comment. Tks.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,181 of 7,994
I’ve had a lot of people ask me for this, so here you go:

Traillii measurements using an IEC-711 coupler with stock silicone wide bore tips and a comparison to VE Erlkonig #2 that you can use as a reference point.

241DACF0-B45E-42DE-8062-FC7876518D06.jpeg
30BACC5C-0479-40D1-8B81-C9681CAE9EC0.jpeg

This is very interesting! Thanks!

So I pulled two other Oriolus here from crin's database. I have had Mk2 now for 2 years and heard Melli at e-earphone. I don't/didn't sense any issue with the treble. The 4k+ dip seems to be the signature of Oriolus. Going by the graph alone, I might have been alarmed by the dip like @HiFiHawaii808 ... this will be very interesting.

My best guess is that the dip cuts the most annoying harmonics, but just enough that all the fundamentals below 5kHz are well represented without doing any harm to the tonality, and the shimmer/spaciousness above 7-8kHz are smoothly integrated. I remember seeing IEMs with a similar dip somewhere... I might have to hunt it down to compare...

ori_melli_mk2.png

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,183 of 7,994
I think part of the reason the “dip” works very well here is also credited to the estat implementation on the Traillii, it is simply better than any other estat I have heard in terms of being highly detailed, smooth, textured, and clear. You can hear absolutely everything with ease.

Usually something suffers though... the fact that it’s working for your EDMs that might have higher pitched instruments speaks something about it. Can’t wait ....

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #2,184 of 7,994
One has to assume it is a deliberate implementation. Numbers and graphs aside, the bird sounds lovely and balanced. We’d probably consider the bird overly bright if the scoop was not what ot was.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,185 of 7,994
This is very interesting! Thanks!

So I pulled two other Oriolus here from crin's database. I have had Mk2 now for 2 years and heard Melli at e-earphone. I don't/didn't sense any issue with the treble. The 4k+ dip seems to be the signature of Oriolus. Going by the graph alone, I might have been alarmed by the dip like @HiFiHawaii808 ... this will be very interesting.

My best guess is that the dip cuts the most annoying harmonics, but just enough that all the fundamentals below 5kHz are well represented without doing any harm to the tonality, and the shimmer/spaciousness above 7-8kHz are smoothly integrated. I remember seeing IEMs with a similar dip somewhere... I might have to hunt it down to compare...

ori_melli_mk2.png

I think part of the reason the “dip” works very well here is also credited to the estat implementation on the Traillii, it is simply better than any other estat I have heard in terms of being highly detailed, smooth, textured, and clear. You can hear absolutely everything with ease.

Usually something suffers though... the fact that it’s working for your EDMs that might have higher pitched instruments speaks something about it. Can’t wait ....

Nothing suffers at all. That is what really hits hard about the bird. You know they are playing games somewhere in the FR to create the spatial illusion, but you don’t hear any of the draw backs tonally. If you put the Traillii in and someone said, “tell me where the FR dips”, you’d have no idea. It’s completely full without the veil or resolution hit that ‘creating stage’ usually causes.

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2,186 of 7,994
One has to assume it is a deliberate implementation. Numbers and graphs aside, the bird sounds lovely and balanced. We’d probably consider the bird overly bright if the scoop was not what ot was.

Nothing suffers at all. That is what really hits hard about the bird. You know they are playing games somewhere in the FR to create the spatial illusion, but you don’t hear any of the draw backs tonally. If you put the Traillii in and someone said, “tell me where the FR dips”, you’d have no idea. It’s completely full without the veil or resolution hit that ‘creating stage’ usually causes.

I'm sure it's deliberate and I don't think it's a problem. In fact, this gives me confidence that Traillii will probably have some similarity to Mk2 with improvements everywhere, well at least I hope for 10x price, lol :grin:

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #2,187 of 7,994
Well, I plugged the W2 into my laptop and did my best to volume match my laptop to my iPhone 12. Placebo or not, the iPhone sounded congested compared to the laptop. Surprisingly, the W2 out of the laptop was much closer to the SE200 than I expected. Unfortunately, I'm not rolling to the grocery store with my laptop in my shopping cart.

Right now I'm using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter for the Traillii into the SE200, which I don't like because it sticks out two inches from the DAP and is a bit wobbly.

I've seen a ton of complimentary things said about the Shanling M8 and the Traillii. I think I might reach out to see if I can demo an M8. If I like it, I may switch. If not, I may see about reterminating the Traillii cable to 2.5mm and be done (famous last words)...

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #2,188 of 7,994
Well, I plugged the W2 into my laptop and did my best to volume match my laptop to my iPhone 12. Placebo or not, the iPhone sounded congested compared to the laptop. Surprisingly, the W2 out of the laptop was much closer to the SE200 than I expected. Unfortunately, I'm not rolling to the grocery store with my laptop in my shopping cart.

Right now I'm using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter for the Traillii into the SE200, which I don't like because it sticks out two inches from the DAP and is a bit wobbly.

I've seen a ton of complimentary things said about the Shanling M8 and the Traillii. I think I might reach out to see if I can demo an M8. If I like it, I may switch. If not, I may see about reterminating the Traillii cable to 2.5mm and be done (famous last words)...
Though I didn't prefer it with other IEMs DX300 might be worth a demo for the bird pairing also because of price-value - I feel like it's a mix signature of M8 and W2 so to say also depending on if you get MKII or MKI amp module.
As for SQ I guess these will be also interesting: N6ii (with forthcoming R2R board), P6Pro.
As for the M8 pairing I am listening to it 99% and guess I got used to the signature.
As the bird is a bit V-shaped (see last graphs in bird thread) I feel like it's a tad too bass heavy on M8 which might be preferable or not...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #2,189 of 7,994
Though I didn't prefer it with other IEMs DX300 might be worth a demo for the bird pairing also because of price-value - I feel like it's a mix signature of M8 and W2 so to say also depending on if you get MKII or MKI amp module.
As for SQ I guess these will be also interesting: N6ii (with forthcoming R2R board), P6Pro.
As for the M8 pairing I am listening to it 99% and guess I got used to the signature.
As the bird is a bit V-shaped (see last graphs in bird thread) I feel like it's a tad too bass heavy on M8 which might be preferable or not...
Thanks for that!

I actually just shipped out an N6ii today...and mentioned during the sale that the R2R was interesting lol!

I’m coming from the 64 Nio, so I like the bass. Also feel the treble is super clear with the Traillii, so if the M8 adds some bass without messing with the treble, it might be my thing.

How would you compare the DX300 to the M8?

While the sound of the P6P is intriguing, I’m not in for that much money, especially since I only stream.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #2,190 of 7,994
Thanks for that!

I actually just shipped out an N6ii today...and mentioned during the sale that the R2R was interesting lol!

I’m coming from the 64 Nio, so I like the bass. Also feel the treble is super clear with the Traillii, so if the M8 adds some bass without messing with the treble, it might be my thing.

How would you compare the DX300 to the M8?

While the sound of the P6P is intriguing, I’m not in for that much money, especially since I only stream.
so Dx300 vs M8 - my impressions are from previous gear like Andro Gold and Denon AH-D 9200, so could only listen 1:1 with the bird on M8.

Similarities:
Both have a more relaxed laid back presentation compared to in-your-face tuning like W2 or the old Ibasso DX2XX line.
Both are concentrating more on timbre than on pure detail like it was a fashion with DAPs in former times.
DX300 MKI comes closer to M8 imho in terms of slower mid bass focused presentation.

M8 vs DX300 (sound signature)
M8 is slower than DX300 (especially MKII)
M8 has more timbre than DX300
While DX300 is yet warmer than previous Ibassos, M8 is the warmest DAP I have heard so far but and that's an important point without sacrificing detail and layering.
M8 sounds best imho for vocals and guitars, violins, it smoothes bad recordings like there are many for the metal genre e.g
DX300 is faster, does have more forward upper mids compared to M8 and more extended highs from my memory, so could sound more airy in comparison.
M8 is providing a wet thicker velvet like layer around the notes so make them resonate a bit which I find quite special and enjoying - this is especially good for dry bright gear but the bird picks it up and presents it to you with a lush wet signature with wet bass thumps especially mid bass.
Bass thumps on DX300 will be in comparison dryer and I guess not as striking (especially with MKII) as with M8.
DX300 MKII was from my memory more balanced than MKI, so better jack-of-all trades for various genres.
While MKI tends more to M8 from my memory, MKII tends more to W2 (just a tad, they sound very different though compared to W2).
M8 has a nice holographic presentation with the bird despite it's lower end emphasis.
Higher notes are shining through in spades and surround you with the bird.
While the lower end emphasis is nice for some mixes I sometimes feel it could get a bit tiring with the bass of the bird for just listening like hours, don't want to imagine the likes of Legend X or Thummim on this device - brain shaking? :wink:
The emphasis is more on mid bass though and not particularly sub bass.
Threfore I am still enjoying VE Elysium as a complement to the bird with M8 especially for night time listening as I can listen like the whole day without getting tired by bass, it's a more mid focused IEM as most of you know and M8 provides extra timbre plus mid bass thump to some enjoyable degree to it.
Bird is more engaging and toe tapping and can handle the mid focused songs to my feeling with a quality like the Elysium but with the mids being laid back compared to the base and high registers, so it's providing like more information which you then need to process in your head :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back