Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #31 of 7,998
I am more inclined to conclude that the Amp function between TOTL DAPs and mid-tier DAPs is much larger than their differences in the DAC function.

Oh I firmly believe that too. Lots of people tend to just look at the DAC chips and assume that’s what matters the most.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #32 of 7,998
I think that is Lotoo’s design philosophy. Spend the most on the amp circuit and the DAC portion takes a back seat, no need for dual DACs.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #33 of 7,998
:D 07 looks much better in real life, probably same for Traillii

importantly how it sounds that matters the most

@redrol have you heard Traillii before? @fjlabs ?
I wish, a little bit out of my budget for now, perhaps one of these days though. I do wonder if I could get a loaner. 🤔

The "Sowe" version 07 is ugly. Custom version is very nice. 😛

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #34 of 7,998
$6000?

35F407F1-3531-452C-B98C-D2A8F02B57F3.png

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #35 of 7,998
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 7,998
Is there any other Canuck who owns Traillii other than @xAssailant here?
Preferably in West Coast? I will paint you a nice portraiture for a quick audition 😆
Wait... @xAssailant is a fellow Canuck??? Where in Canuckland is he based in? 😂

I’d love to give the bird a quick audition too!! I’ll offer my portraiture services!!!

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #37 of 7,998
By looking at the statistics, it seems the bird has 100% customer satisfaction rate even such a high price...

And all users in the survey use TOTL DAP...

Really tempting....
If you demo one than it may be hard to resist. It could be some of the hype effect influencing, though when I bought mine there was no talk about it, Andrew telling me I should try it is the first time I heard about it. Honestly I do not think my ability to hear is that great, although after 4 months with the U12T and than the Mest plus many other demos, I was hearing clear differences, and had trained my hearing a little. Interesting that I could hear the strengths in the gear really fast. With most music it takes several listens before I get the tune and find its beauty. That gear first impression so far has not let me down, although I cannot find the right words to explain it to someone else. They would need to hear what it sounds like to them since that is what matters.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #38 of 7,998
Well this has been well overdue lol. That poor Nick thread got bombarded.

Anyways, highly recommend anyone who’s interested to demo it first just because of the cost. Struggle to see anyone disliking it though unless you want a bass head tuned IEM or something.
Really? Why do I see lots of things to hate on (besides pricing of course which I also complained about once or twice on Nick’s thread), such as manufacturing in Shenzhen, cheap-ass looking shell, etc. lol

Anyway agree a dedicated thread is looooong overdue for Traillii, discussion has become a bit overheated there.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #39 of 7,998
Really? Why do I see lots of things to hate on (besides pricing of course which I also complained about once or twice on Nick’s thread), such as manufacturing in Shenzhen, cheap-ass looking shell, etc. lol

Anyway agree a dedicated thread is looooong overdue for Traillii, discussion has become a bit overheated there.

From a tuning standpoint, I struggle to see dislikes other than the reason I stated. But anyone who’s a bass head or wants something to be L shaped would probably have already read up on the Traillii and understand that it is not tuned to be that way.

I’m guessing at $6k people expect some sort of premium metal shell? I’m not really sure. I’ve owned the VE Erlkonig and it’s a silver shell, which means it’s heavy... which leads to discomfort for some users after time. Personally for me at the cost of the Traillii I want everything to be “perfect” from the sound to the comfort, and it delivers for my preferences on both ends. Most of the people throwing complaints are the ones who haven’t heard it, and some may have no desire to due to the material of the shell or whatever other reason, which is fine. The positivity of the IEM itself is incredibly high from everything I have seen so far.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 7,998

On the point of manufacturing in Shenzhen, I don’t see what’s wrong with it other than Oriolus probably shouldn’t have marketed themselves as a JP brand. Even now I am not really sure about their business relationship. Is it designed in JP and manufactured in Shenzhen?

As for manufactured in Shenzhen. LP makes P6 Pro in Shenzhen. Cayin makes C9 in Zhuhai, a city even smaller than Shenzhen. DJI makes their drones in Shenzhen. Google, BCG, and McKinsey are all opening new offices in Shenzhen. Don’t see what’s wrong with this.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #41 of 7,998
From a tuning standpoint, I struggle to see dislikes other than the reason I stated. But anyone who’s a bass head or wants something to be L shaped would probably have already read up on the Traillii and understand that it is not tuned to be that way.
Yes I agree, which makes me all the more interested in @gLer's upcoming review comparing Fourte and Traillii. I wrote my impression in Nick's thread a while ago, I believe Traillii is more of an all-rounder, so it may draw some dislikes if the listener has a clear preference on music genres. For instance, I'm not entirely sure if MMR Thummim fans will find Traillii fully enjoyable.
I’m guessing at $6k people expect some sort of premium metal shell? I’m not really sure. I’ve owned the VE Erlkonig and it’s a silver shell, which means it’s heavy... which leads to discomfort for some users after time.
I was just trolling haha. We all know what happened in Nick's thread. Everyone has their preferences, for me personally, I place a bigger emphasis on sound quality, and only consider shell design etc. afterwards (although I'd still prefer IEMs that don't have a strong "personality" in design, e.g. I would hesitate a little if I see something like LCD-i4 or Thummim).

Regarding comfort though, I actually find light-weight metal shells more comfortable, such as Fourte's aluminium shell. Erlky probably should have emphasized ergonomics over premium looks with a different material, e.g. I think aluminium or titanium (or their alloys) might be a better metal material choice for premium IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #42 of 7,998
On the point of manufacturing in Shenzhen, I don’t see what’s wrong with it other than Oriolus probably shouldn’t have marketed themselves as a JP brand. Even now I am not really sure about their business relationship. Is it designed in JP and manufactured in Shenzhen?

As for manufactured in Shenzhen. LP makes P6 Pro in Shenzhen. Cayin makes C9 in Zhuhai, a city even smaller than Shenzhen. DJI makes their drones in Shenzhen. Google, BCG, and McKinsey are all opening new offices in Shenzhen. Don’t see what’s wrong with this.
Sorry I was just trolling. Those points I mentioned are all picked from someone in Nick's thread. I just think he's being a bit unfair.

I mentioned this before in Nick's thread that "I don't know whether Oriolus is trying to play into the stereotype consensus where Japan and Germany are the "countries of craftsmanship" (it's probably not needed though, considering how HiFiMan etc. were able to make their name without the sugarcoating), or Cyras or Hibino actually has teams that contribute to R&D". From what I read afterwards, it seems that Cyras might be the one that actually requested the Shenzhen firm Mini-Audio to develop Traillii in the first place (I can't find the source now). So it might actually be Cyras' idea to drive Traillii's price to the moon (I've heard about the price hike in May). But anyway I don't have solid info, that's just gossiping.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #43 of 7,998
Sorry I was just trolling. Those points I mentioned are all picked from someone in Nick's thread. I just think he's being a bit unfair.

I mentioned this before in Nick's thread that "I don't know whether Oriolus is trying to play into the stereotype consensus where Japan and Germany are the "countries of craftsmanship" (it's probably not needed though, considering how HiFiMan etc. were able to make their name without the sugarcoating), or Cyras or Hibino actually has teams that contribute to R&D". From what I read afterwards, it seems that Cyras might be the one that actually requested the Shenzhen firm Mini-Audio to develop Traillii in the first place (I can't find the source now). So it might actually be Cyras' idea to drive Traillii's price to the moon (I've heard about the price hike in May). But anyway I don't have solid info, that's just gossiping.
Haha thanks for the clarification! Someone is bound to mention this in the thread, so perhaps it is better to make my point anyway when it is early. :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #44 of 7,998
Yes I agree, which makes me all the more interested in @gLer's upcoming review comparing Fourte and Traillii. I wrote my impression in Nick's thread a while ago, I believe Traillii is more of an all-rounder, so it may draw some dislikes if the listener has a clear preference on music genres. For instance, I'm not entirely sure if MMR Thummim fans will find Traillii fully enjoyable.

I was just trolling haha. We all know what happened in Nick's thread. Everyone has their preferences, for me personally, I place a bigger emphasis on sound quality, and only consider shell design etc. afterwards (although I'd still prefer IEMs that don't have a strong "personality" in design, e.g. I would hesitate a little if I see something like LCD-i4 or Thummim).

Regarding comfort though, I actually find light-weight metal shells more comfortable, such as Fourte's aluminium shell. Elky probably should have emphasized ergonomics over premium looks with a different material, e.g. I think aluminium or titanium (or their alloys) might be a better metal material choice for premium IEMs.

Oh whoops, been a long day, lol.

Yeah I fully agree on everything you said. Basically as I was saying, if someone doesn’t want an IEM tuned the way the Traillii is then that’s really all I can think of as a “flaw”, to me it just does what it does so well.

The price hike “rumor” I believe is quite real unfortunately.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #45 of 7,998
If you demo one than it may be hard to resist. It could be some of the hype effect influencing, though when I bought mine there was no talk about it, Andrew telling me I should try it is the first time I heard about it. Honestly I do not think my ability to hear is that great, although after 4 months with the U12T and than the Mest plus many other demos, I was hearing clear differences, and had trained my hearing a little. Interesting that I could hear the strengths in the gear really fast. With most music it takes several listens before I get the tune and find its beauty. That gear first impression so far has not let me down, although I cannot find the right words to explain it to someone else. They would need to hear what it sounds like to them since that is what matters.

Too bad that I can't get a demo unit in my area.
I believe it's a hype effect influencing if 1 or 2 reviewers praised the product up to the sky. However if everyone who owned the product, with other TOTL iems, satisfied and no complaints about the sound quality...then this iem is something special.
In my current situation, I am not allow to have a desktop setup yet. (Especially when my kids are small and need attention)
I hope I am able to find 1 iem that 'rule them all" to stop my itches for search the perfection in my imagination. (Although, I understand that there is nothing perfect in this world. But at least, stop my inches for a period of time?)

By the way, with all the hypes sharing around...Are there any 'weakness' for this bird?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back