Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 29, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #6,571 of 7,929
:) Orphy is another level entirely. Nothing sounds like Orphy, especially with the Traillii it's absolute End Game.

For the price though, especially now that it's almost double what it used to be, I would recommend highly the First Times instead. It has similar vibe and DNA and sounds superb with the Traillii.
Appreciated
That will be next after my Metropolis

May 29, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #6,572 of 7,929
50s and 60s are both Cardas wire repackaged. The 60s (Cardas Clear Light) has a very mild V shaped tuning, more sparkle and subbass, while the 50s (Cardas Clear) is more linear and with greater emphasis on details and punchy bass. The details and performance of the 50s is better, at least for my preference. The bass on my 50s was amazing on Traillii, while the technical performance was really great too. Can be almost fatiguing compared to the relatively relaxed 60s.
100% agree with this, except the fatiguing part, but tokpa subsequently clarified in his next post.

May 30, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #6,573 of 7,929
50s and 60s are both Cardas wire repackaged. The 60s (Cardas Clear Light) has a very mild V shaped tuning, more sparkle and subbass, while the 50s (Cardas Clear) is more linear and with greater emphasis on details and punchy bass. The details and performance of the 50s is better, at least for my preference. The bass on my 50s was amazing on Traillii, while the technical performance was really great too. Can be almost fatiguing compared to the relatively relaxed 60s.
Let me ask you, are you sure?
The thing is, I have Cardas Clear Light. I bought it, assuming that it will be similar to 1960. However, in a direct comparison of Cardas Clear Light vs Stormbreaker (which is 1960), the difference is very noticeable.
Clear light is warmer and analog, builds a more compact scene. The Stormbreaker is wider and slightly V-shaped compared to it.
So I'm a little surprised by your feedback.

May 30, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6,574 of 7,929
Let me ask you, are you sure?
The thing is, I have Cardas Clear Light. I bought it, assuming that it will be similar to 1960. However, in a direct comparison of Cardas Clear Light vs Stormbreaker (which is 1960), the difference is very noticeable.
Clear light is warmer and analog, builds a more compact scene. The Stormbreaker is wider and slightly V-shaped compared to it.
So I'm a little surprised by your feedback.
I know for sure that 50s and 60s are repackaged Cardas transducers. I owned a Cardas Clear clone and a 50s at the same time and they were indeed sonically identical. But, that doesn't mean that other cables BASED on 50 and 60s are all sonically identical. Case in point, the Traillii cable is based on 60s, or any of the Metropolis versions with either 50s or 60s innards. I would guess that Stormbreaker is a 2 wire version of the Traillii cable, or something very similar.

I think there a quite a few variations on the original Cardas cables, and yes, they are originally more warm and coppery sounding than some of the later PW creations they are based on.

May 30, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6,575 of 7,929
I know for sure that 50s and 60s are repackaged Cardas transducers. I owned a Cardas Clear clone and a 50s at the same time and they were indeed sonically identical.
Okay, I know 1960 is the Traillii cable. The Stormbreaker is 1960, but twice as thin. I've compared Stormbreaker and Cardas Clear Light, and they're different enough to say it's not the same cable.

PW and Cardas, which is at its core, may be different, but I don't think so much.
Stormbreaker - rather cold and V-shaped, Clear Light - warm and macrodynamic, solid and compact. I have once written about my impressions on this topic, if I'm not mistaken.

My surprise was that I wouldn't call 1960 (Stormbreaker) warm and compact. Compact is Clear Light.

I used to think that 1960 ~ Stormbreaker ~ Cardas Clear, and 1950 ~ Cardas Clear Light, but after your feedback I'm not sure.

May 31, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #6,576 of 7,929
I posted something in one of the Xenns Up's thread.
I would not consider it complementary to the Traillii.
While it has nice Dynamic Bass, it is not Legend X level. I would say the Xenns Up is a good set for its price for people who like bass.

I think it is being too hyped. Seeing listed S tier by some people makes me doubtful. It is not at the level of the UM Mest mkii.
When I A/B test the Xenns Up and the Bird, there is just no comparison when it comes to details, vocals, stage, mids. And somehow, I tend to prefer the Bass details of the bird without the "air slam" of the dynamic driver.
I still prefer the Legend X to be my "anti bird" when I feel like I just want bass.
This graph proves your point. I wonder why bggar never showed this comparison?

Attachments

• Screenshots_2022-05-31-02-54-50.png
    Screenshots_2022-05-31-02-54-50.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
May 31, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #6,577 of 7,929
Is the 1960 cable that comes with the Traillii the same as the existing PWA 1960 or has it been altered?

May 31, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #6,578 of 7,929
Appreciated
That will be next after my Metropolis
I had a First Times cable die on me recently after 6 months of light use. The 4.4 mm connector needs to be re-soldered. I walk alot, so that may be the explanation.

BTW you are getting a Metropolis ft.50s. I doubt that you can compare it to the original 1950's cable. When I bought the Monile MK1 ft.50s it was explained that ft.50s means that it uses the same soldering technique as the the 1950's. The Monile is a silver cable whereas the the 1950's is copper so they can't be more different.

I suspect that what you're getting is an cable that uses the 1950's soldering technique.

May 31, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #6,579 of 7,929
I had a First Times cable die on me recently after 6 months of light use. The 4.4 mm connector needs to be re-soldered. I walk alot, so that may be the explanation.

BTW you are getting a Metropolis ft.50s. I doubt that you can compare it to the original 1950's cable. When I bought the Monile MK1 ft.50s it was explained that ft.50s means that it uses the same soldering technique as the the 1950's. The Monile is a silver cable whereas the the 1950's is copper so they can't be more different.

I suspect that what you're getting is an cable that uses the 1950's soldering technique.
It's a Metropolis 4 wired 50
Don't ask me more since I have zero knowledge on them
Giving it a shot and hope I like what it brings to my ears
5_c8543c16-43af-4af8-9cd3-332242e1d4f7_1024x1024.jpg

May 31, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #6,580 of 7,929
Is the 1960 cable that comes with the Traillii the same as the existing PWA 1960 or has it been altered?
As far as I know, this is a standard 1960 with 4 conductors, without any additional changes.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #6,585 of 7,929
I compared Traillii. Of course, not from the limited Mason FS, but from the more civilian Fusang. For accuracy - on the same cable and the same tips. And sources, of course.

Mason is inferior in naturalness. They look like images with added contrast, less dynamic range. As well as excessive mass.
Sometimes it sounds not that slow, but. First, the sound lacks integrity.
And I don't mean the macro component. Namely the tuning. That is, the bass is somewhat separate from the rest of the sound. The general tuning is detailed and technical, maybe even a little dry. On the other hand, the bass is more massive and has a little fat and warmth against the rest. Effect? Yes of course. Realistic?
Well, I'm not sure. In my opinion, not very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back