Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Sep 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #4,906 of 7,929
What really matters here is if you enjoy your music as heard through the Traillii. And as far as my guess is you will, since everyone (I can not think of an exception) has.

It will soon be a year since this bird craze started and the dust has settled. The end game (only having one IEM) discussion played out months ago, and safe to say even the one person that actually treated the Traillii that way in this thread has moved on, surprised me a little that one, though it should not have.

Looking forward to your thoughts once the Bday arrives.
Once the current batch of units in the Classifieds sells, we should get a good sense of what the real market value is for the bird. My guess is it settles in around $3600 which is 60% of its original list price.

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,907 of 7,929
As for fear or anxiety over seeing them listed - admittedly I had a bit of that myself. And then I listened again. And I feared no more.

Yes I've been in this boat too - a case of FUD definitely kicks in when people are leaving the flock. But likewise, listen again and that changes. They are of course stupid money but those magic moments of closing my eyes and being completely submerged in the music, hard to put a price on that... I've had many and expect many more, no other IEMs hitting the market will change that. I was away since early Monday morning and only back this evening - I didn't have Traillii with me, back in my ears now and loving them.

But I've also without doubt come to the conclusion that endgame absolutely does not exist for me anyway. Equally, I love having a collection and switching between IEMs. All part of the hobby and I guess the key is to have discipline to enjoy what we have and if a time comes for whatever reason that another new shiny IEM is more appealing and decide to sell others to fund, so be it.

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,908 of 7,929
Some fair points there. I guess I am looking for some magic answer that may not exist. When I think about the Traillii, I think about how it has gained it’s place as, for want of a better phrasing, the ‘best’ IEM out there. Of course ‘best’ is subjective, but it is nonetheless an IEM that is certainly up there with the cream of TOTL’s. So I think I’m just a little surprised and a bit scared on why people are now starting to sell the Bird. And it’s not just the odd person selling, as I’ve noticed quite a number either listed or sold on the classifieds.

I suppose that it is all part and parcel of this crazy hobby we are all in. You acquire gear, enjoy it, and then move it on to make way for the next thing coming out. I think in that regard investing in a 6k IEM is no different to buying a 1k IEM as the process is exactly the same.

Now of course I must include in this my own position, and no doubt the main reason I was asking about this to begin with. As I mentioned in an earlier post I have the Traillii. The unfortunate part is that it is hidden somewhere in my house as it is a gift from my wife. I therefore have not heard it yet. However, I am well aware of how much it cost. In fact, outside of a house or car it is the most expensive thing that I’ve ever had. So imagine the fear and uncertainty I feel when all the people on here I trust are starting to part with the ‘best’ IEM of all time - hey I’m a sensitive guy! - and I haven’t even heard it myself yet and I have no idea if I’ve made the right decision or not 😧 (I’m hoping I made a great decision!)

But yes I get it, the hobby continues for everyone, myself included, and I’m already thinking about things to sell to free up funds for that next purchase on the horizon.
This wretched hobby! I think you'll love them. As others have eloquently noted, there are several reasons that many are being sold: financial reasons ("I can't afford it, but let me try this highly regarded IEM and then sell afterwards"), new upcoming IEMs, changing sonic preferences, obsession with the newest toy, etc.

It's been my sole IEM for nearly 7 months now and is 100% going no where. I did pre-order EVO in hopes it offers me that DD guilty pleasure, technical complimentary listen, but who knows if it'll last since its a blind buy. Easier said than done, but don't let the myriad of classified posts tarnish the excitement for what has been a revolutionary IEM in coherency, technical performance and tuning for the past year. No IEM, despite how great, will survive audiophile's commitment issues lol.

Looking forward to your thoughts once you get to listen!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #4,909 of 7,929
No IEM, despite how great, will survive audiophile's commitment issues lol.
That is as deep as it is true.

fear not, @Deferenz … after listening to most of the totl iems out atm, traillii remains untouched in many sonic categories as far as I’m concerned.

it is an incredible iem accomplishment.

humans are fickle creatures, some more so than others. seeing people swoon then sell, is more a reflection of the phenomenon @tawmizzzz mentioned, rather than a serious reason to doubt the traillii.

Your patience is impressive and it will be rewarded.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #4,910 of 7,929
Agree. I am generally a two brand kind of guy. And it is not for want of being offered long term demos of other TOTL IEMs. But until the Traillii (and the UM Fusang), I never contemplated any IEM beyond my well loved and trusted stable. I am very happy with the Traillii. Is the one IEM for everyone and for all occasions? No it is not. But does it fit into my scheme of things and for pure music enjoyment? Absolutely!

It is for similar reasons that I have my Stax rig and I still have 2 pairs of SR 007mk1, one pair of SR009 and the SR009S as well. Each is a classic in their own way.

Just enjoy the music and everything else will sort themselves out. :)

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #4,911 of 7,929
Yes I've been in this boat too - a case of FUD definitely kicks in when people are leaving the flock. But likewise, listen again and that changes. They are of course stupid money but those magic moments of closing my eyes and being completely submerged in the music, hard to put a price on that... I've had many and expect many more, no other IEMs hitting the market will change that. I was away since early Monday morning and only back this evening - I didn't have Traillii with me, back in my ears now and loving them.

But I've also without doubt come to the conclusion that endgame absolutely does not exist for me anyway. Equally, I love having a collection and switching between IEMs. All part of the hobby and I guess the key is to have discipline to enjoy what we have and if a time comes for whatever reason that another new shiny IEM is more appealing and decide to sell others to fund, so be it.
I definitely shared the fear initially. I think some of it has to do with the fact that there are so many hyped new IEMs that dropped at the same time.

Plus, many of them scratched an itch that folks had been asking for for a while (in audiophile IEM terms, like a year, lol). An Ely with DD bass? I’ve commented that I wanted that before. An upgrade to the LX? Yeah, I want that. A non-limited edition, and more affordable, follow up to the Erlky? Yes, please.

But, I’ve come back to ground. The Traillii fits me perfectly and is incredibly light. I’ve only recently realized how important personal fit is. Just had the Thummim on tour, had a REALLY hard time getting it to fit well enough to sound like everyone describes (after a dozen different tips and sizes). It sounds great, but I couldn’t ever own one because it doesn’t stay in my ear. I can wear the Traillii forever without having to readjust.

Seeing the @twister6 review showed me just how HUGE the EVO is relative to the Traillii. There’s no way the EVO stays in my small ears.

I think many of the reasons people have called out are right, there’s not just one reason. What I know is that I love my Traillii, its sound signature, its crazy sound stage, its insane ability to put me inside the music, and its perfect fit for my ear.

edit: two words

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #4,912 of 7,929
Seeing the @twister6 review showed me just how HUGE the EVO is relative to the Traillii. There’s no way the EVO stays in my small ears.
I had the same thought... That thing is huge! And with the shape of my (right) ear canal, most of it is going to stick out... I think that makes the EVO a no-go for me... The Traillii fits very well indeed.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,913 of 7,929
I had the same thought... That thing is huge! And with the shape of my (right) ear canal, most of it is going to stick out... I think that makes the EVO a no-go for me... The Traillii fits very well indeed.
I was am quite interested in the EVO, and likely as a replacement for my LX. But I think I should give some quality time to the Traillii first.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #4,914 of 7,929
I was am quite interested in the EVO, and likely as a replacement for my LX. But I think I should give some quality time to the Traillii first.
Yes, that's a good idea. The EVO will be here for a long time and the longer you wait, the better deal you will get.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,915 of 7,929
Yeah I'm curious on EVO also but definitely waiting till next year and await impressions - enjoy what I have for now and maybe dabble a bit more on lower cost stuff (Blur buds @ €170 currently shipping) to feed the addiction short term!

On the other hand, Aroma Audio on the radar - especially Thunder having heard great reports from @Xinlisupreme

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,916 of 7,929
Yeah I'm curious on EVO also but definitely waiting till next year and await impressions - enjoy what I have for now and maybe dabble a bit more on lower cost stuff (Blur buds @ €170 currently shipping) to feed the addiction short term!

On the other hand, Aroma Audio on the radar - especially Thunder having heard great reports from @Xinlisupreme
That's how I feel right now about the VE EXT and Elysian X. I want to hear both and probably buy both, but I'm really tapped out. I need to stop buying for a while and just enjoy what I've got.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #4,917 of 7,929
that's a good point. It is larger than the Odin. I have such large ears that big size usually isn't a problem for me I have a problem with small IEMs like Oriolus Isabellae and BLON 03. Hard for me to find tips to create a sufficient seal. For reference, I believe that the Thieaudio Monarch is bigger.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #4,918 of 7,929
That's how I feel right now about the VE EXT and Elysian X. I want to hear both and probably buy both, but I'm really tapped out. I need to stop buying for a while and just enjoy what I've got.

Yes indeed, I'm curious about them too! Not to mention any new single DD that comes along, FAudio Dark Sky one example - I really love single DDs.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #4,919 of 7,929
Yes indeed, I'm curious about them too! Not to mention any new single DD that comes along, FAudio Dark Sky one example - I really love single DDs.
Me too. I love the Isabellae. It is such a unique listen when compared to everything else I own. Love the natural timbre for the single DD.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,920 of 7,929
Me too. I love the Isabellae. It is such a unique listen when compared to everything else I own. Love the natural timbre for the single DD.

IE900 my top choice IEM still - even above Traillii as an all-rounder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back