Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,861 of 1,871
I echo everything in this review/impression.

I solve (mask) the BA timbre a bit by reducing the 2-3kHz area and increasing the 100-300Hz area. I also reduce stridency and increase bass impact by doing so, it's a win-win-win!

That is a great idea. I tried some regular spiral dots at @HarlanDraka 's recommendation and they sound wonderful. I'm always down to try some EQ, even though it means I have to turn bit perfect mode off on my M8...I'll try it out though!

Very nice write up! Long time Mk2 user here and I also get shocked how nice the bass comes out on this set as well as the overall tonal balance. It’s a punch in the face especially after rotating through different IEMs. I just don’t get the desire to let these go!

I would say that the old man has succeeded in his marketing efforts by capturing attention with his remarkably tuned and super-size-priced Traillii, and then selling his more “normal” priced IEMs like the best selling donuts :sweat_smile:

Anyways, glad to see renewed interest in this amazing set. I know there are few fans out there!

Thanks man! I've long been tangentially aware of Oriolus as a brand but I've never really gotten any exposure to their IEMs until very recently.

Yeah the bass totally off guard-- I went in expecting beautiful open mids and seductive vocals a la Isa but while those are great it's the bass response I keep coming back to again and again. It made me think of the Hyla CE5, an IEM that came out about the same time from a "sister company" and is said to have some of the nicest bass ever. I wonder if there is a connection.

I bought the last set available direct from Oriolus in Japan and I feel very fortunate!

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,862 of 1,871
That is a great idea. I tried some regular spiral dots at @HarlanDraka 's recommendation and they sound wonderful. I'm always down to try some EQ, even though it means I have to turn bit perfect mode off on my M8...I'll try it out though!

Thanks man! I've long been tangentially aware of Oriolus as a brand but I've never really gotten any exposure to their IEMs until very recently.

Yeah the bass totally off guard-- I went in expecting beautiful open mids and seductive vocals a la Isa but while those are great it's the bass response I keep coming back to again and again. It made me think of the Hyla CE5, an IEM that came out about the same time from a "sister company" and is said to have some of the nicest bass ever. I wonder if there is a connection.

I bought the last set available direct from Oriolus in Japan and I feel very fortunate!

Haha indeed! I have CE5 too! My Mk2 and CE5 are my longest holding.

CE5 bass is very special. It's like listening to a well tuned large wooden cabinet speaker. Slightly less mid-bass compared to Mk2/Reborn but very well textured and balanced through the entire bass. Little slow perhaps for modern electronica but superb for analog Jazz, etc... if the thin-ish mids/treble doesn't bother you.

I know they are both marketed through a company called Cyras in Japan but I don't know the extent of their influence on the final product. I know I like them :wink:

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,863 of 1,871
I echo everything in this review/impression.

I solve (mask) the BA timbre a bit by reducing the 2-3kHz area and increasing the 100-300Hz area. I also reduce stridency and increase bass impact by doing so, it's a win-win-win!

I just got around to applying this EQ and wow! what a transition. An hour in and everything is perfect-- gone is any whiff of stridency and the mid-bass is just where I want it without sacrificing any sub-bass goodness. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,864 of 1,871
1C0B4410-3BE2-4B34-815E-B93E15D1476F.JPEG

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,865 of 1,871
Received treat in the mail this morning and couldn't wait to get it out of the box an into my hands. In the process I may have discovered another of the all time great synergistic pairings of my audio career. Ladies (as if there are any lol) and gentlemen the Cayin N3Pro (thanks to characteristic impeccable service from Andrew & @MusicTeck) and Oriolus Reborn...

First of all see that nice tubey glow in the bottom half of the player? That my friends is practically worth the price of admission alone. The Reborn, as you may recall, is an IEM that I feel needs a little EQ through the M8 to tame the upper mids a wee bit and flesh out the midbass. Not so through the N3Pro in ultra linear tube mode...as soon as the first few bars were through I knew I was onto something special. The warm tubey goodness of the N3Pro is the perfect match for the occasionally strident tonality of the Reborn. The sound is naturally smoothed out and the bass given just a touch of added body. It's oh so enticing....

In the process this hammered home for me the utter importance of sources and synergy with IEMs-- and it's also made me think twice about my little rating schema from yesterday. The Reborn through the N3Pro is definitely a few points higher on my mid-bass, tonality & coherence scales than it is through the M8. In any case I'm a very happy camper right now and I can't wait to try the N3Pro through my other IEMs.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,866 of 1,871
General question...Any idea on price range for a used pair of carbon plate Mk.2?

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,867 of 1,871
I’m waiting Crassirostris, did you compare it with Reborn o Mk2?

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,868 of 1,871
No one?

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,869 of 1,871

Users who are viewing this thread

• wj18
Back