Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #362 of 1,871
This gem deserves more attention, folks.

Since first I got Oriolus, I haven't had time to give an intensive listening. So recently I have been listening to Oriolus and here is my  thoughts on this:

Fit is great, this is my second best fit iem to date. The best one was inear stagediver series.
Build quality is also great. I'm coming from Velvets lately, big build quality difference between them, period.
These sound full bodied, bass is quite delightful, yet very controlled. Thanks to dynamic driver.
Mid freq is clear, there is no mid bass boost problem.
Seperation is good. All instruments are here and over there.
Resolution is top notch.
Smooth highs, I have never noticed any sibilance. Airy sound welcomes you. Thanks to well tuned BAs.
Decent soundstage.

Thanks to the engineers who tuned these hybrids.

Mine is Japan version mk2 and the cable is pw audio copper litz no5.

Pairing with Mojo+iPhone 6S, using Tidal and Spotify.

I had a chance to pair with ZX2 and listened to high resolution files, definitely sweet match.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #365 of 1,871
I am sure that this has been answered before, sorry for bringing this up again if it has, but does the Oriolus first version sound like the second mk2 version?
What are the changes, just cosmetic?

thanks.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #367 of 1,871
Checked with Dimitri from MusicaAcoustics, heck of a nice gentleman.

He confirmed with me that the differences are  purely cosmetic plus a different cable.
He believes that the sound difference people sometimes report hearing is due to the cable.

The differences between Oriolus 1 and 2nd generations are:

1-  Cable
the 2nd generation comes with upgraded cable PW Audio #5

2-  Visually there is ORIOLUS stamped on the shell

3-  2nd generation  shell size is slightly smaller (not sure exactly how much in mm.)

4-  the Shell is coated and reinforced for durability. So it is not only shinier but also steadier/stronger against impact.

... as per performance/audible differences, manufacturer claiming that sound has not been altered other then the new cable adding  an improvement to overall performance of iems.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #369 of 1,871
Anyone had tried balanced vs unbalanced on this iem, is there noticeable difference? 

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #372 of 1,871
Just received my Oriolus mark II (Chinese version, I believe the difference to Japanese version is just the cable) this Monday. Have just listened to it for a few hours. Overall impression is great. Impressive clarity, wonderful mid range and treble. Bass is great too, but I still prefer the bass on IE800. Also got FX1100 at the same time. Have been listening to IE800 for one or two months. Haven't done side by side comparison between them. 

Interestingly, the fit is perfect for me (using the L-size JVC spiral dot tips)! The best among FX1100, IE800. Probably because I have large ear/ear canal? To me, the largest tips of IE800 are still not large enough.

Planed to mod FX1100, as I had good time with modded FX850. However, having Oriolus, I have lost interest in modding FX1100, as I reckon Oriolus can still easily beat modded FX1100.
To me, IE800 still wins on the bass response. Listening to the soundtrack of Pirates of the Caribbean, it's just amazing. It beats Oriolus on this part, but Oriolus wins others, especially the mid range which I listen the most.

So I think I will put IE800, FX1100 up for sale soon. The only IEMs now I am still interested in are JH Angie.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #373 of 1,871
  Just received my Oriolus mark II (Chinese version, I believe the difference with Japanese version is just the cable) this Monday. Have just listened to it for a few hours. Overall impression is great. Impressive clarity, wonderful mid range and trebel. Bass is great too, but I still prefer the bass on IE800. Also got FX1100 at the same time. Have been listening to IE800 for one or two months. Haven't done side by side comparison between them. 

Interestingly, the fit is perfect for me (using the L-size JVC spiral dot tips)! The best among FX1100, IE800. Probably because I have large ear/ear canal? To me, the largest tips of IE800 are still not large enough.

Planed to mod FX1100, as I had good time with modded FX850. However, with Oriolus, I have lost interest in modding FX1100, as I reckon Oriolus can still easily beat modded FX1100.
To me, IE800 still wins on the bass response. Listening to the soundtrack of Pirates of the Caribbean, it's just amazing. It beats Oriolus on this part, but Oriolus wins others, especially the mid range which I listen the most.

So I think I will put IE800, FX1100 up for sale soon. The only IEMs now I am still interested in are JH Angie.

Just curious, how is the bass on the IE800 compared to Oriolus? Which one is more tighter and has faster response?

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #375 of 1,871
Sorry, but there could be no competition between IE800 and Oriolus mk2 Japan version in any area except soundstage. IE800 has an artificial soundstage and it sounds great to some ears (including mine) but Oriolus has not only realistic bass but also better quality and quantity presentation.

Former IE800 owner here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back