Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Aug 5, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #316 of 1,871
went to try Merlin v2 today. here are some pics

41e1b50e6a5491c88a666375bfc77ec5.jpg
e09ce6fa75334d452f8fefeeba6c533e.jpg

I was really really impressed by it.has tighter, faster bass than Oriolus. highs are airy and detailed at the end of the spectrum. mids are not too forward and not as lush as oriolis but overall have a sense of air surrounding instruments. soundstage I think was ever so slightly narrower than oriolus. torn between deciding the two of these great hybrids.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

The silver cable is stock bundle cable?
Nice look great that price is around 6500 RMB really make me consider to ship it from Taobao

Any update for Martian?

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #317 of 1,871
went to try Merlin v2 today. here are some pics

41e1b50e6a5491c88a666375bfc77ec5.jpg
e09ce6fa75334d452f8fefeeba6c533e.jpg

I was really really impressed by it.has tighter, faster bass than Oriolus. highs are airy and detailed at the end of the spectrum. mids are not too forward and not as lush as oriolis but overall have a sense of air surrounding instruments. soundstage I think was ever so slightly narrower than oriolus. torn between deciding the two of these great hybrids.

The silver cable is stock bundle cable?
Nice look great that price is around 6500 RMB really make me consider to ship it from Taobao

Any update for Martian?
not sure about the cable. I didn't try the Martian.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #320 of 1,871
anyone using Oriolus + Mojo combination out there? Waiting for the iem to arrive and I am curious how they will sound. Coming from Velvet btw.

funnily enough, the first time I demoed the Oriolus was with the Mojo. I've always felt the Mojo gives a slightly warm boost to the low end as well as a slight refinement of smoothness in the highs, so with the Oriolus' bass being slightly on the laidback side, the Mojo give it a little more oomph that made it sound even more dynamic and lush. 

I've also demoed the Velvets, and my opinion is that they're one of the more artificial sounding IEMs - bass is unnaturally strong, and mids are a little compressed sounding , and highs are high reaching but oftentimes harsh. The Oriolus, on the other hand has a much more laidback and natural sounding bass, mids and vocals will sound magnificent and natural compared to the Velvet, and highs will be less harsh but won't be the biggest difference out of the three frequency ranges.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #321 of 1,871
  funnily enough, the first time I demoed the Oriolus was with the Mojo. I've always felt the Mojo gives a slightly warm boost to the low end as well as a slight refinement of smoothness in the highs, so with the Oriolus' bass being slightly on the laidback side, the Mojo give it a little more oomph that made it sound even more dynamic and lush. 

Sorry but could you elaborate a bit more on how the Oriolus sounds with the Mojo? I am pretty intrigued by the Mojo and planning on picking up an used one soon, but reviews seem to indicate that there is marginal to zero improvement on using the Mojo with sensitive IEMs. Wondering if that would be the case with the Oriolus, by itself is already a warm and smooth affair to begin with.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #322 of 1,871
  Sorry but could you elaborate a bit more on how the Oriolus sounds with the Mojo? I am pretty intrigued by the Mojo and planning on picking up an used one soon, but reviews seem to indicate that there is marginal to zero improvement on using the Mojo with sensitive IEMs. Wondering if that would be the case with the Oriolus, by itself is already a warm and smooth affair to begin with.

I can try, but the Mojo was actually my friends - I currently only run my IEMs out of my OnePlus X since I'm not ready to invest in DAPs and Amps and such right now. 
Yes, the Oriolus is already a rather warm sounding and sensitive IEM so the improvements are definitely not something that I would claim is a night and day difference. However, my experience with the Mojo has been that the low end frequencies seemed to sound a tad warmer and more solid. So far I've tried the Oriolus, Westone 4R and Andromeda out of the Mojo. In all cases the bass had slightly more impact and roundness, without ever becoming boomy and bleeding over into the midrange, if that makes any sense. I hope this helps.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #323 of 1,871
  I can try, but the Mojo was actually my friends - I currently only run my IEMs out of my OnePlus X since I'm not ready to invest in DAPs and Amps and such right now. 
Yes, the Oriolus is already a rather warm sounding and sensitive IEM so the improvements are definitely not something that I would claim is a night and day difference. However, my experience with the Mojo has been that the low end frequencies seemed to sound a tad warmer and more solid. So far I've tried the Oriolus, Westone 4R and Andromeda out of the Mojo. In all cases the bass had slightly more impact and roundness, without ever becoming boomy and bleeding over into the midrange, if that makes any sense. I hope this helps.

Definitely - thank you very much

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #324 of 1,871
By the way - I had a chance to try out the yet to be officially released "entry level" Oriolus - a new 1DD2BA offering from mini-audio. It basically costs half the price of the 1DD3BA Oriolus.

I was definitely suffering from a little listening fatigue as this was near the end of the day after spending 5 hours at the Hong Kong Audio Visual Expo, and show conditions are not really ideal for demoing, but I was somewhat unimpressed by this, although it may be something to consider for someone not willing to blow 700-800USD on an IEM yet.

It had a similar sound sig to the original Oriolus, but I think there was less detail retrieval in the highs - snares did not sound as engaging and snappy, cymbals not as sparkly. I think the bass had  about a similar texture to the original.

Here's a bonus pic for you all:

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #325 of 1,871

I've also demoed the Velvets, and my opinion is that they're one of the more artificial sounding IEMs - bass is unnaturally strong, and mids are a little compressed sounding , and highs are high reaching but oftentimes harsh. The Oriolus, on the other hand has a much more laidback and natural sounding bass, mids and vocals will sound magnificent and natural compared to the Velvet, and highs will be less harsh but won't be the biggest difference out of the three frequency ranges.

Thank you very much. I understand that Mojo and Oriolus will not bring the night and day difference which I do not expect already. However, it will be useful to strengthen low frequency of Oriolus.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #326 of 1,871
By the way - I had a chance to try out the yet to be officially released "entry level" Oriolus - a new 1DD2BA offering from mini-audio. It basically costs half the price of the 1DD3BA Oriolus.

I was definitely suffering from a little listening fatigue as this was near the end of the day after spending 5 hours at the Hong Kong Audio Visual Expo, and show conditions are not really ideal for demoing, but I was somewhat unimpressed by this, although it may be something to consider for someone not willing to blow 700-800USD on an IEM yet.

It had a similar sound sig to the original Oriolus, but I think there was less detail retrieval in the highs - snares did not sound as engaging and snappy, cymbals not as sparkly. I think the bass had  about a similar texture to the original.

Here's a bonus pic for you all:

3120 HK?
Seem like quite worth it.
But may close to UM Martian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back