Oriolus DP100 (UPDATED WITH PICS)
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #46 of 54
Alright, here's a quick write up re: comparisons with certain daps. I'll be using the DP100 along with Alo Rx (excellent iem specific amp) with my trusty Oriolus v2.0 (w/ PW no.5 cable).
If I do not amp my DP100, here's what I describe so far: The bass sits well with the mids on the mix, both being forward, in comparison to the highs. The sound is pretty forgiving with so-so recordings (compared to say Opus#1 first gen.)
Once amped (a request made by a fellow member), in my setup, I get thrown in this immersive pit of sound that really showcases the MIDS. The Alo Rx, is an amp, but as far I can tell, it does wonders regarding soundstage (very deep), separation of frequencies, etc. The bass presentation takes a bit of a hit, but I wouldn't qualify it as a total decrease in quantity but rather, the whole bass region sits behind in terms of layering. The mids can now really "open up" at this point. Vocals with most recordings become a somewhat intimate focal point. This setup is far from analitical but it does bring forth stronger "emotions" to the music for my lack of better description. haha. If this is something you're looking for, it will not disappoint.

A few comparisons.
Colorfly C10 - a great player, my latest addition to my collection - this will not exhibit more quantity in bass, but provide the musical punch as needed, making a joyful swift ride. Mids are at the beginner mid-fi level regarding details, and the vocals too are smoothened out but there still some decent amount of emotion and sweetness to the vocal delivery. highs are non-offensive. I'd give more points for the DP100 for a fuller low end, and the mids on the Oriolus dap are definitely more detailed.

Opus#1 first gen - the player that gave everyone a run for their money - I remember being smitten as to how my Oriolus V2.0 became super bass deep bass canons with these. They have the upper hand when it comes to bass quantity and separation/presentation because I find that the low end really sits well in the mix. Bass is like a fireworks show here. Dp100's bass through my amped setup is a lot more well behaved and "sits well" in the mix because the focus is different in terms of presentation. Electric bass instruments are the bomb on the Opus#1, I enjoy listening to some J-Rock basslines which tend to do countermelodies along the vocals ( they move along well together musically speaking). The highs and super highs on the Opus#1 is something to be proud of, because I get a strong level of immersion regarding the live concert hall ambient; it sounds very diffused and quite convincing. The DP100 isn't as "grand" sounding but it "soaks" you in depth, something like a good surround stereo experience. Dp 100 has a fuller vocal presentation, very mature and has a some good weight in the mids/vocals to back it up. If I were to keep only one, I'd probably sell the Opus#1 and keep the DP100 because it does marvels in the mid section and is more forgiving.

The Opus #1 is more technical and more detailed and will bring out strong recordings, but the Dp100 isn't that far really. The big plus is that it's a lot more forgiving, so I find myself enjoying all sorts of music and recordings much more. Coming back to the C10, I enjoy it well enough as a daily portable because of its syrupy presentation and musicality. The Dp100 throw you into immersion with exquisity mid frequency specialty while being remaining smooth and enjoyable for longer periods. Hope this helps. Enjoy. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #47 of 54
Thanks a lot, very interesting insight. :)

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #50 of 54
hey Berkhan , thank you for the reply :wink: .

would you care to share some thoughts about this little DAP? and how could it still stay on your inventory after so long? i've been struggling to find a dp100 in my local area :D

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #51 of 54
hey Berkhan , thank you for the reply :wink: .

would you care to share some thoughts about this little DAP? and how could it still stay on your inventory after so long? i've been struggling to find a dp100 in my local area :D
I like warm sounding gear and the DP100 covers my need for that. You can also attach two microSD cards to it and it's quite compact. 2.5mm BAL output is still great in the market in terms of pure SQ. It has great build and good battery life. I like it :)

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #52 of 54
I like warm sounding gear and the DP100 covers my need for that. You can also attach two microSD cards to it and it's quite compact. 2.5mm BAL output is still great in the market in terms of pure SQ. It has great build and good battery life. I like it :)
damn....what you described may just tick every box i expect this DAP to deliver .... i tried many different daps but beside some top dogs i haven't got a long-lasting first impression from anything else except this little baby here ^^.
thank you for sharing your verdict. i like warm and smooth in general too!!

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #53 of 54
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back