Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #707 of 796
Hey all!
I'm Looking to upgrade the output caps in my 6SN7 line gain stage. Currently using a pair of AudioPhiler MKP 400V 2.2uf.

Any recommendations?

Edit: No set budget but looking to limit it under 100USD.
I have done a fair amount of testing with 2.2uf caps in Salas UltraFSP phonostage.
Clarity CMR - gold standard, balanced, detailed, not shrill.
Mundorf Silver/GOLD/Oil EVO - very detailed, bright, not quite as full sounding as CMR
Rike S-Audio Paper/Oil - Bouncy, organic, fun sounding. If you listen to trash mastered music, these whisky colored glasses will help.
Miflex KPAL - really close to the CMR. Maybe a little more forgiving. Massive size.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #708 of 796
I have done a fair amount of testing with 2.2uf caps in Salas UltraFSP phonostage.
Clarity CMR - gold standard, balanced, detailed, not shrill.
Mundorf Silver/GOLD/Oil EVO - very detailed, bright, not quite as full sounding as CMR
Rike S-Audio Paper/Oil - Bouncy, organic, fun sounding. If you listen to trash mastered music, these whisky colored glasses will help.
Miflex KPAL - really close to the CMR. Maybe a little more forgiving. Massive size.
I see.
I felt the same about the Rike caps although people tell me that the newer production ones sound different.
Didn't like Mundorf at all and haven't used them for some years now.

Will check out clarity cmr and miflex for sure. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #711 of 796
Yeah, Miflex caps are huge, but they are the best bang-for-the-buck copper foil capacitor out there. Anything else will still be large, smaller but more expensive. Clarity Caps have a good balance between size and performance.

Rike Audio S-CAP 2 are also a good choice, they should be more reasonably sized at 2.2uF if you want a PIO cap.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #712 of 796
Yeah, Miflex caps are huge, but they are the best bang-for-the-buck copper foil capacitor out there. Anything else will still be large, smaller but more expensive. Clarity Caps have a good balance between size and performance.

Rike Audio S-CAP 2 are also a good choice, they should be more reasonably sized at 2.2uF if you want a PIO cap.
Yes indeed. I remember seeing AmpOhm caps that were this big, some years ago.

The Rikes' will be over my set budget so I think I'll give them a pass for now. I'm very intrigued by Miflex and clarity. Size favours clarity tho.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #713 of 796
Hey all!
I'm Looking to upgrade the output caps in my 6SN7 line gain stage. Currently using a pair of AudioPhiler MKP 400V 2.2uf.

Any recommendations?

Edit: No set budget but looking to limit it under 100USD.

Have you considered using Duelund JDM bypass capacitors there are copper and silver foil options and are well within your budget.

Very impressed with the silver foil ones I installed.

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #715 of 796
When using a bypass capacitor you use a low uf bypass capacitor in parallel with the 2.2uf so the original ones stay in place and the bypass is added to them in addition. So you would have 2.21uf

Edit it's important to make sure any new capacitors voltage rating is equal to or above that which is currently in use.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-87178.html

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #716 of 796
When using a bypass capacitor you use a low uf bypass capacitor in parallel with the 2.2uf so the original ones stay in place and the bypass is added to them in addition. So you would have 2.21uf

Edit it's important to make sure any new capacitors voltage rating is equal to or above that which is currently in use.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-87178.html
Right my bad sorry:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #717 of 796
The two most obvious advantages would be cost particularly if you need a large value say 100uf

Space is the other big advantage true metal foil capacitors tend to be substantially larger than a metallised films fitting them in can prove a challenge.

Cons sometimes you can get a smearing effect but I've used bypasses extensively and have never experienced it myself though I have tried bypasses that I've not liked the results of using but that's more personal taste.

A well worn path in the DIY community is using inexpensive low uf value surplus military russian teflon capacitors off of eBay as by passes. Most often it's a case of suck it and see but when the capacitor is say the cost of a coffee there's not much downside to experimenting.

Have a Google about on russian teflon bypasses

Edit here's a link to a piece by John L who posts here with some thoughts on a few of the more popular ones

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor3.htm

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #718 of 796
The two most obvious advantages would be cost particularly if you need a large value say 100uf

Space is the other big advantage true metal foil capacitors tend to be substantially larger than a metallised films fitting them in can prove a challenge.

Cons sometimes you can get a smearing effect but I've used bypasses extensively and have never experienced it myself though I have tried bypasses that I've not liked the results of using but that's more personal taste.

A well worn path in the DIY community is using inexpensive low uf value surplus military russian teflon capacitors off of eBay as by passes. Most often it's a case of suck it and see but when the capacitor is say the cost of a coffee there's not much downside to experimenting.

Have a Google about on russian teflon bypasses

Edit here's a link to a piece by John L who posts here with some thoughts on a few of the more popular ones

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor3.htm
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I've used; or rather was using; Russian PIOs for decoupling in my DAC. More often than not I found that these have variable tolerances (not according to spec) and the sound though very accetable, was nothing to write home about.
I'll still look around and keep you guys posted on what I find!
Cheers!

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #719 of 796
The miflex might be large, but they’re fantastic caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back