Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Feb 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #391 of 796
A few years back I searched for "the best caps in the world" and I ended eventually up with Duelund caps. They were the best I've ever heard.
Now a new Duelund has entered the scene.. new for me anyway and it is rated even better than the one I've got in my speakers.

The place that I found best information about the Duelund caps back then is still available and reviews have been added:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

I am testing some Duelend CAST PIO Cu currently.  We shall see.  I am curious about their CAST Silver, but at $700 each, some things just should not be..

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #392 of 796
I'm sure the Duelund caps sound great. They HAVE to, or no-one would pay that kind of coin! Personally, I cant see it. I currently have my maggies crossed over with, on one channel, 10uf Mundorf EVO aluminum/oil and on the other 5x 2.2uf Mundorf silver/oil - (the reason for the 2.2uf is that I use that value more frequently and I happen to have a bunch of them}. The crossover point on the latter is a bit lower, but if I focus on just the cymbals etc with an ear to each speaker I cant decide which sound I like better. I'm going to keep them like that until I do. Sometimes it just hits me - "oh - theres the difference - how did I miss that?" - I really expect a bigger difference, given the price difference.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #393 of 796
  I'm sure the Duelund caps sound great. They HAVE to, or no-one would pay that kind of coin! Personally, I cant see it. I currently have my maggies crossed over with, on one channel, 10uf Mundorf EVO aluminum/oil and on the other 5x 2.2uf Mundorf silver/oil - (the reason for the 2.2uf is that I use that value more frequently and I happen to have a bunch of them}. The crossover point on the latter is a bit lower, but if I focus on just the cymbals etc with an ear to each speaker I cant decide which sound I like better. I'm going to keep them like that until I do. Sometimes it just hits me - "oh - theres the difference - how did I miss that?" - I really expect a bigger difference, given the price difference.

I don't know if this is blasphemy around here...but have you considered active crossovers instead of hoping for better sound with a different passive component? There are quite a few benefits that are immediately noticeable :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #395 of 796
  I have started to take an interest in motor run caps!

Are you going to make your Crack have 'blue butt cheeks' 
tongue.gif
 I love that beast he made lol.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #396 of 796
  I don't know if this is blasphemy around here...but have you considered active crossovers instead of hoping for better sound with a different passive component? There are quite a few benefits that are immediately noticeable :)

I personally run active crossover for my speakers, but having tried quite a few active crossovers, I can say they all sound different as well with large differences in build/sound quality.  The good ones can cost quite a lot, too.  I do wish more speaker manufacturers would offer active-crossover options, take out the passive parts, to offer some savings to consumers.  

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #397 of 796
  Are you going to make your Crack have 'blue butt cheeks' 
tongue.gif
 I love that beast he made lol.

lol yes it is definitely way out there! Thinking about trying one out to the replace the last 220uf electrolytic in the Crack power supply I will probably bypass with a something little more exotic as well. I am expecting a couple of Russian teflons to arrive soon for some bypassing fun.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #398 of 796
As luck would have it I came home today from work and the postman had been. 
atsmile.gif
 and cost about the same as a cup of coffee! £1.75 or $2.80 if you live across the pond.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #399 of 796
  As luck would have it I came home today from work and the postman had been. 
atsmile.gif
 and cost about the same as a cup of coffee! £1.75 or $2.80 if you live across the pond.

Those are smaller than I had imagined. What are you going to use them for? :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #400 of 796
I have bypassed the last 220uf electrolytic with a 2.2 film cap and will now add the Teflon to bypass the 2.2 film.  The Teflon is 0.056uf and is actually surprisingly quiet heavy for its size. My expectations are not high it is more experimentation.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #401 of 796
Here we go I soldered the Russian Teflon K72P6 (silver one) in place this morning, it is 0.056uf in value. The smaller black capacitor which it is cable tied to is a JFX 2.2uf metalized film!

Phew what a relief nothing sounds any worse and first impressions with the Teflon in the chain are encouraging!  I will let it burn in for a while now.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #402 of 796
Looks nice JamieMcC! What brand of pot is that? Have a link? 
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #403 of 796
Feb 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #404 of 796
Thanks JamieMcC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back