organizing ipod files and lossless files in itunes
Feb 27, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
This would work if all the files fit on the ipod. Since my wife only has a 4gb ipod and we have about 14,000 songs to choose from, she'd be waiting for it to convert evertime she updated her ipod. Even if I decided to put aac on my 30gb ipod, only a fraction of the files would fit. Multiple copies works better in my case. We both like to completely change out our ipods with this much music to choose from.

For this case that is totally true and can see the downside for you. It also depends on harddrive space. If you didnt have the spare space to keep copies then the script option would probably be best.

Just different solutions to different situations.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
Another thing I do is make all the playlists I want (generically), then make an iPod and home version of each. For instance:

3stars (smart playlist which has all my 3 * songs)

then I make

i3stars (playlist is 3stars and playlist is iPod)

and

h3stars (playlist is 3stars and playlist is Home)

Then under sync options, I choose all the playlists with the little "i" in front to sync to my iPod, and when I listen from home on the computer I only look at playlists with a little h in front.

Sweet approach nesting filters, matt8268! Maybe I'll do this too when I get me a nano for ultraportable use. Since you can just put all the "i" lists in a folder it doesn't even clog iTunes interface. Nice.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
I had your exact same question, and ended up with a great solution using playlists. Get your lossless files set the way you like them, then use the "Convert to AAC" feature mentioned above. Then make 2 smart playlists:

iPod --> Kind...is not..."Apple Lossless audio file"

and

Home --> Kind...is..."Apple Lossless audio file"

This will filter all your lossless from your non-lossless. Now for the brilliance, which is so obvious if you already know about it, but not if you don't. While you have each of the playlists above selected, choose "Edit-->Show Browser". From now on that playlist will show the browser bar (with Genre, Artist, and Album) at the top, just like when you select Library. Sync only the lossy playlist to iPod, listen to lossless on your computer.

Another thing I do is make all the playlists I want (generically), then make an iPod and home version of each. For instance:

3stars (smart playlist which has all my 3 * songs)

then I make

i3stars (playlist is 3stars and playlist is iPod)

and

h3stars (playlist is 3stars and playlist is Home)

Then under sync options, I choose all the playlists with the little "i" in front to sync to my iPod, and when I listen from home on the computer I only look at playlists with a little h in front.

Note: If ever I want to change ratings, song names, or any other tag info, I must go to Library and do it for both copies of the song to keep them in sync. But this is the only downside, and it's not that big of one.

For those of you still with me, I actually complicate things a bit more because some songs I only have lossy. Since there is no lossless counterpart, I want them to show up in my Home playlists as well. So for my "Home" playlist I use "kind" and "bitrate" to make a smart playlist that excludes only lossy songs for which I have a lossless counterpart. I can do this because my lossless files were converted to 256AAC, which is a different format from all my non-lossless stuff. This is a bit confusing, but if you understand it it works well.

first of all, thanks for all the info.

this is a really good idea. well executed too, it seems. the only problem i can see is that you wind up 2 versions of every song on your hard drive. this could be annoying for a variety of reasons. and there's no real way to tell the difference between the two on the hard drive. im assuming itunes would organize both files into the same folder, and not create 2 folders due to different file types....correct?

---------------------------------------------

so based on that, it seems like the best thing to do is just use the applescript to copy copy files over in aac to ipod, and then delete them. that way i'll keep just one version on my hard drive.

but then i thought of a potential problem with this. how do you get playlists onto your ipod, if you dont have a copy of the exact file on your hard drive? if you used the lossless playlist, it would copy duplicates onto the ipod, because the ipod has AAC and it wouldnt recognize them as the same file.

if i made a second version of the playlist (using the right-click, convert file to aac method as per above) then when i loaded this onto the ipod would it recognize them as the same file even though technically they arent the same file, but different copies of the same thing? otherwise, i'd wind up with duplicates of those songs in the playlists.

wheew, this is complicated!

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xUKHCx
Did you put the script in Users/Username/Library/iTunes/Scripts. IF the scripts folder does not exsist. Make it and put the script in there. Then when itunes is your top app there should be a little scroll menu bar item between window and help. With the tracks selected click on the scroll and choose the Lossless to iPod workflow.
Rich

this went right over my head. sorry. is this a faster way to do it, so i can access the application through the itunes interface? can you explain this in language for a computer idiot like me?
redface.gif
sounds useful
biggrin.gif
thanks!

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
this went right over my head. sorry. is this a faster way to do it, so i can access the application through the itunes interface? can you explain this in language for a computer idiot like me?
redface.gif
sounds useful
biggrin.gif
thanks!

i dont have much time at the moment to answer all of your questions. but iirc the scripts download as a .zip. Double click on the .zip file. Then copy out the items called something like lossless to ipod. and put them in the following directory.

Users/Username/Library/iTunes/Scripts

Go to you normal home folder. Open library, then find the folder called itunes. Then create a folder called Scripts. Place the copied itunes from above in here. Then open up itunes and you should hopefully see a scroll icon on the top bar that runs all the way across the top of your normal window. It should be by help iirc. Then select the tracks you want on the ipod, and click on this scroll and select the lossless to ipod workflow.

Gotta run. If you are still having problems getting this to work. either reply or send me a PM.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
first of all, thanks for all the info.

this is a really good idea. well executed too, it seems. the only problem i can see is that you wind up 2 versions of every song on your hard drive. this could be annoying for a variety of reasons. and there's no real way to tell the difference between the two on the hard drive. im assuming itunes would organize both files into the same folder, and not create 2 folders due to different file types....correct?

If you want to keep your hard drive organized, create a seperate aac folder first, then set that as the destination folder. When you encode to aac, it will send all the files there. Don't forget to change it back to your original folder when you are ripping a cd to lossless.

If you don't seperate to 2 folders, all you have to do is see the file type, to know which is which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back