Oregon Meet 01-07-06
Jan 12, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopyRocks
HD580
These really surprised. The FAR exceeded my expectations, especially for rock and metal - my favorites. They really get an undeserved bad rap in this regard. Veil - what veil?

I've never heard my HD580's sound nearly as good as they sounded on that Dynalo. It really gave me a new appreciation for these cans. Blew the veil away. Seeberg, I hope you got a chance to try the Dynalo -> 580.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Hey cool, a pair of K501s was there. Anyone listen, and have an opinion? I love these cans, but I suspect they would give a poor first impression under meet conditions, for various reasons.

I was eager to try these cans. I was surprised at how far I needed to crank my LDII to power them -- knob to 3:00, when my HD580 or DT531 are too loud at 9:00. My notes indicate that I was struck by the "nuanced, rich presentation. No bass. Very clean, open sound. Crisp, taut." I found the vocal presentation a bit "sterile". I wish I had had time to try them with other, more powerful amps.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
I've never heard my HD580's sound nearly as good as they sounded on that Dynalo. It really gave me a new appreciation for these cans. Blew the veil away. Seeberg, I hope you got a chance to try the Dynalo -> 580.

Awww, I didn't! But that's what future meets are for, and I look forward to the opportunity should it arise. I've definitely got to sample more amps. Actually, the left channel in my Mu crapped out all of a sudden when I changed the battery the other night, and I'm hoping that its merely a solder joint that needs redone, otherwise off to Zemo it goes for repair.

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #49 of 63
I just got a treat for you guys at the next meet. Ready? Wanna know what it is?...

AKG K340's, Black headband version!!! After losing the pair on ebay last night I put up a WTB on the forsale forum and was directed to a WTS I had somehow missed put up the same day, and because I was up til 2am I was one of the first people to pm him and got it!! I could not be more lucky. I can't wait to hear these!!....!!!!ExclamationPoint!!!111oneone
340smile.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
AKG K340's, Black headband version!!! After losing the pair on ebay last night I put up a WTB on the forsale forum and was directed to a WTS I had somehow missed put up the same day, and because I was up til 2am I was one of the first people to pm him and got it!! I could not be more lucky. I can't wait to hear these!!....!!!!ExclamationPoint!!!111oneone
340smile.gif

Nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I finally got the HD600 grilles ordered, but they are out of stock for a week and may take even longer for them to arrive. Cost me about $18 for the pair. If I'm feeling eager, I may go for a Headphile or Cardas cable next, but I really wanna audition before I buy if I can...

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #51 of 63
really hearing the difference those .flac files make now that I can listen. Haven't ever quite had this many classes and obligations before and felt I could handle them. I'll make sure to try the AD2k's when JB gets them though.

oh and JB, Which encoder do you use to encode the wavs into Flac? I have five CD's of wavs kicking around I should convert and mine as well follow suit esp since I don't have access to a couple of the CD's anymore...
And it looks like I won't be able to play these DVDA 6 channel encodes.
Bummer.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 63
I should start messing with FLAC soon, but I'd have nowhere to keep it when it's not on my Karma, so I guess I can't yet. But I guess if I could get a 300GB drive for a new computer, ripping over to FLAC could serve as a worthwhile upgrade if I find it works for me.

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Congrats buddy.
340smile.gif

What do you mean by 'black headband version' though? They all have black headbands.
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #54 of 63
The plain black headband versus the headband with AKG printed across it. I think that might be the difference between the two models. But with all of the different sounding versions who can tell. If I'm correct, these should be the bass heavy ones. At least, thats my guess after reading your threads
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #55 of 63
I'm currently running all of my music in flac. I don't want to have to rip my cd collection again. That and I'll never have to wonder if my file source is good enough. Also, Seeberg, I have my entire 200+ cd collection on my computer and its only about 70 gigs. I do plan to upgrade but no time soon. Maybe if I build a media pc. And I'm not running raid like I would like to so heres praying my hdd doesn't crash.

Edit: Oh yeah, and whats the difference between the new grills and the grills you currently own? Do you have pictures? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

The plain black headband versus the headband with AKG printed across it. I think that might be the difference between the two models. But with all of the different sounding versions who can tell. If I'm correct, these should be the bass heavy ones. At least, thats my guess after reading your threads.

Oh, I see what you mean now... I'm not actually sure that the headband has anything to do with it, but it is hard to say. Once you do get them if you open them up at some point and take pictures we should be able to tell which 'version' they are.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
really hearing the difference those .flac files make now that I can listen. Haven't ever quite had this many classes and obligations before and felt I could handle them. I'll make sure to try the AD2k's when JB gets them though.

oh and JB, Which encoder do you use to encode the wavs into Flac? I have five CD's of wavs kicking around I should convert and mine as well follow suit esp since I don't have access to a couple of the CD's anymore...
And it looks like I won't be able to play these DVDA 6 channel encodes.
Bummer.

Just get the flac frontend.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Edit: Oh yeah, and whats the difference between the new grills and the grills you currently own? Do you have pictures? Thanks.

He's getting the grills for the 600s, which are significantly more open, and metal. You can see the difference on senn's site:
HD600 hi res
HD580 hi res

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #59 of 63
Oh, I see. Thanks Devwild. But I wonder, why don't they enclude them with the 580's? Are the grills that more expensive to manufacture. Also Senn could take a que from the pc silencing community and perforate the grills with a hex pattern, which is the most open pattern (even in nature bees use it.). Cool stuff.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Oh, I see. Thanks Devwild. But I wonder, why don't they enclude them with the 580's? Are the grills that more expensive to manufacture. Also Senn could take a que from the pc silencing community and perforate the grills with a hex pattern, which is the most open pattern (even in nature bees use it.). Cool stuff.

That would be because the HD600 grilles were designed after the fact, as the HD580's were replaced as their top of the line dynamic 'phones by the HD600, although arguably marginally. The same occured when the HD650 came out, but really the core headphone remains the same throughout. Also, I don't know if a hex pattern is ideal for the grilles on the HD5/6xx's, you can't have them so open they'd be vulnerable to excess particles and such. however, I understand the idea. If I could find some honeycombed metal mesh I could make custom screens for my 'phones very easily I think.

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back