Oregon - interested in a summer 2007 meet?
Jul 21, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 74
Only been in Portland for 3 weeks and have been scoping out a few options. I had initially hoped to be able to use one of the boardrooms at work but unfortunately there are a few security issues. I have not given up yet and will keep looking, I really would like to see this pulled off..dB

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, my life has kind of taken me elsewhere for a while so I haven't really been checking much... We really need some help here with the location, the usual spot won't work this time, and I've been too busy to wrangle up a spot. If we can get a place and a time I think you'll find more interest. I will certainly come if I can!
smily_headphones1.gif

What was the place last time?
How about PSU?

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 74
Well, I guess I will start the ball rolling...

After sachu mentioned PSU in the post above, a light bulb went off in my head. How about the public library, they have got to have rooms you can reserve! And of course they do.

Here are all the rooms available. They are FREE to "community-based organizations" for three hours, or $100/day if over three hours. The form wants a non-profit organization #, not sure if head-fi necessarily has one though...

You can check out the rooms available at the city of Beaverton's website: https://www.beavertonoregon.gov/secu.../room_info.cfm

If we are interested I can call and make sure we can get the community based organization rate (even if we are not a registered non-profit organization) and to check that everything we will be doing would be acceptable.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #19 of 74
The library never occurred to me but it makes good sense. My initial thoughts were also university based as there have to be hundreds of unused rooms over a weekend, it's getting access to them that is tricky.
I know that this thread has been active for some idea but any ideas on previous head-counts? ..dB

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 74
I finally got a lead on a few more venue options, they all seem to be in the $150 /day option with a $50 deposit.

The date seems to be the most critical as some of the venues are already booked through August.

1. PSU - they have several venues available downtown , I looked at the smaller options which would take ~ 40 people.
2. World Forestry Center - they have a small room, again 40 odd people but am still waiting on cost and availability.
3. Beaverton Library which looks great and solves parking issues downtown.
4. There are a few community centers and schools that I still need to speak to but it seems doable regardless.
5. The final option, which I really like, is to try and get a sponsor at OHSU and then we may be able to use one of the rooms on the hill ( and it should be free
icon10.gif
) this I will investigate tomorrow when I am back on campus.

A head count and possible dates to suite most would be helpful..dB

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #22 of 74
I doubt we'll have 40 people. At most me may get 20, but usually its like 10 or less. In any case, I'll throw in some money for a venue. I did some searching online and found a directory of community centers that rent out rooms. I don't live in Portland, but some of you in the area may want to check out the list and see if any of these places might work for us.

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=39172

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 74
I'm going to be back home in Oregon in a couple weeks, and would be up for a meet. Unfortunately I am planning an overhaul of my rig when I get back, so might not have much to bring. However, I would be willing to pitch in for a venue, and would love to meet some fellow Oregon Head-fiers.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 74
This is great. Sounds like for many of us this will be our first meet (including myself)!

Having an exact headcount before we book a place would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't think that is very likely. We might as well find a decent place that can host 20-30 people and book it, then tell everyone when/where to meet. We'll probably get more interest that way, just make sure we have capacity (and enough table space and electrical outlets). Some people will probably come and go, so it's not like there is going to be everyone there at once.

OHSU would be sweeeeeet - especially if we could get a room overlooking the town!

Let's keep tossing around ideas, guys.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 74
Glad to see some people taking up the fight, I knew it would happen eventually
wink.gif

Some considerations for the meet:

* Tables - we need them
* Power - we need plenty of it, and preferably clean power at that
* Space - remember, with people bringing gear, many people take up at least the space of two humans. However, venues for 30-40 would be more than enough space I'm sure.
* Air conditioning - may be required depending on the day
* Headcount - you won't really get one - we've had 8 people meets turn into 12, and 15 people meets turn into 7.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 74
things will probably only get moving after a week or so.
Air conditioning? in Portland???? this appears to go against the Oregonian grain
wink.gif

I have been looking at venues to hold 40 odd , all with tables. Not sure about clean power but I will be bringing 2 power conditioners, sadly got rid of my 20A autotransformer when I moved here ... bygones.

looking forward to meeting some of you and sampling the gear too - mine are all prototypes of things to come / have already come, so it will be interesting to see what you all think..dB

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #27 of 74
Would anyone be against my company, Maximo Products, sponsoring the meet? We will pick up the room, provide refreshments, and have some fun things to give away.

If no major objections, I'd like to have a room booked by early next week. So please let me know any suggestions for place & date.

Would Aug 4th, 11th, or 18th be any problem for anyone?

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 74
Personally I think that would be great! The venue which had most appeal in my initial search was the David Douglas room at the World Forestry Center (it is their small conference room geared at 40 odd people and has 2 important features. 1. it is on the max light 2. it has ample parking available). I have not heard back from Patti but the contact details are on the web. I have a few other venues bookmarked , pm me if you would like more options.

Perhaps we could have a hand count of "ideal" dates and then we can choose the best fit?

..dB

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #29 of 74
World Forestry Center sounds like a great idea. In addition to dB84's two requirements, being in Wash Park of course makes it extremely family-friendly.

I'll try reaching Patti as well. It looks like the biggest issue might be that they're too popular.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #30 of 74
I see no problem with a sponsored meet as long as it is done respectably - these meets are about the people and the experiences, not the sales, and I've been quite pleased that the "Members of the Trade" who have participated in our meets have done so as just another member of the group. That's actually one of the great things about Head-Fi in general - the friendly cooperation of the vendors has lead to much better input than you see in most industries.

The forestry center would be a great location for me, and any of the dates mentioned would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back