Ordering from IKEA on-line
May 8, 2004 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Has anyone ever ordered from IKEA on-line? There shipping costs seem absolutely outrageous. I ordered two bookcases for my new vinyl collection and they are being delivered from their warehouse somewhere in Southern California (I am in Northen California), and I was told that shipping would be around $190.00!!!

The bookcases alone are only $139.00 each. They must weigh a ton.
rolleyes.gif

Here is their standard shipping and handling fee schedule:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ms/en_US/pop...ng_method.html

May 8, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Yikes .. I'd take the drive to Emeryville for a store pickup ...
eek.gif

May 8, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 12
I ordered something from Ikea...their delivery company is AWFUL!!

They were going to ship it out of Chicago. We had looked far and wide for a plain bed for my daughter's room, and all we could find was ridiculously overpriced. So we ordered from Ikea, and agreed to have them ship it out for $200+

The day before they were to come out, they called and said they'd be here between 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm, which was fine by us. I was home the next morning for delivery of the mattress, and Mrs. Elrod made arrangements to be there for the Ikea delivery later that day.

As I was preparing to go in to work AFTER the mattress had been delivered by Sears, the phone rings...it's Ikea's delivery crew. They want to come at 1:00 pm. Well, we can't do that...we've certainly made plans by now. So they agree to bring it at 3:00 PM, and my wife will be home early to meet them.

So it's 4:30 PM and no sign of them....until the neighbor came to visit. They asked her if they could leave the stuff with her...at NOON!!! It had been sitting out in pouring rain all day, and was too heavy for her to move. So, instead of carrying it up my stairs like they were supposed to for $200, they just dumped it and ran.

I called up the delivery company from work. I won't share the details, but in short, I never signed for it, so as far as I was concerned, it wasn't delivered. It could sit in the rain, get stolen, whatever else happened was not my problem from that moment on.

Well, about two minutes later, my wife gets a call from the owner of the shipping company. Two hours later, they came back and delivered it properly. Unbelieveable!!

May 8, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 12
$190 US for 7-14 day delivery service is kind of mind-boggling. As you said, those bookcases must weigh a ton. I bet you could rent a pickup, drive the 80 miles (or thereabouts from Sacramento?) to Emeryville, pick up the bookcases, and end up paying less than $100 for rental fees and gas, eh?

D.

May 8, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 12
IKEA shipping is really overpriced. I suggest to rent u-haul and pick it up.

Last time when I moved, the shipping cost about 1k excluding the tips for the worker to take it inside...

May 8, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Why IKEA? I would look for something local and just go pick it up, or even a local delivery would be a lot more reasonable. Sounds like a rip to me.

May 8, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 12
If I could have found something suitable locally I would have, but I have very specific dimensions that I am looking for. Plus it has to be sturdy enough to support the weight of the vinyl. The ones that I did find that fit the dimensions were very cheaply built and didn't even look like they would support the weight of books, let alone albums. I have been to the IKEA store in Emeryville and they did not have the item in stock at the time.

May 8, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 12
How about contacting a local woodworking shop or cabinet maker to make you a custom rack with your own dimensions. For the $470 it costs for the Ikea offerings, I would guess he could buy some quality woods ( oak, walnut, pine ) and make a set that would be of better build quality and set in a finish that would match your home interior to your liking.

Just an idea ...

May 8, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
How about contacting a local woodworking shop or cabinet maker to make you a custom rack with your own dimensions. For the $470 it costs for the Ikea offerings, I would guess he could buy some quality woods ( oak, walnut, pine ) and make a set that would be of better build quality and set in a finish that would match your home interior to your liking.

Just an idea ...

This was my next suggestion. You could also try contacting your local high school or technical college woodworking/carpentry program to see if they could build one for you. My local technical college has been known to do this, and some of these students are very talented and it gives them a chance to earn a few extra bucks while learning.

I just hate to see people get burned on shipping charges.

May 8, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion

Just an idea ...

If you want to compare IKEA to custom made unit you have to be prudent. Woodworking shops billing will end up as twice the price JMT is actually paying for IKEA items. Unless he want to build himself those items....Students? Maybe.

BTW I'm myself in woodworking, and still have 10 fingers
biggrin.gif
, and will say that IKEA has a fine line of products. I dont no much about residential product but the office line is, for the price, a super value. My home office is like a IKEA showroom........

Finally IKEA has no idea how bad their system of sub-contracting for delivery service is hurting their image. So JMT when the items you're looking for are finally available: RENT A TRUCK!!!. It's what I have done each time.

Amicalement

May 10, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 12
What a joke IKEA is. I just called to check the status of my order, and was told that the items ordered are not in stock and "we don't know why your order was allowed to go through." They couldn't even give me a backorder date, other than "we may get them in 6 - 8 weeks."

What a freakin joke, I can build my own in 6 - 8 weeks. I cancelled my order so I am spared the $190 shipping fees.

What a joke.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back