Ordered SR60s..
May 11, 2004 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TeRrAPh0eNiX

100+ Head-Fier
From Headroom a few days ago. should be here soon. I don't really want to spoil the surprise, but what should i be expecting in comparison to my ER·6?
icon10.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 14
I have the SR60 as well.
Quite a nice set of cans

I couldn't tell you how it performs compared with the ER-6 though
redface.gif

I don't have that.

But I am guessing it won't be THAT much better.

SR60 doesn't have too much bass, but it is tight.
In my opinion, it's only good for listening to rock.

For classical, it's very fatiguing (cut hole in the foam relieves some of that)

For movies, it's not that ideal, the sound stage is as small as you can imagine.
You should be plenty happy at the detail it provides, but I imagine you would buy another set of phones soon, like me
wink.gif
Just because there ARE better cans, but of course, for higher price.

They are great for this price!
Enjoy.

May 11, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Much better in all aspects.

Very low isolation in comparison...better listen in a quiet room

Buy the grado Flats (www.ttvj.com) and the vwap flats for a good measure...

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

What's so good about the flats? they're $30..!
eek.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 14
They expose the bass that these cans are capable of producing. You will be amazed at the difference between the comfies (stock pads) and the Grado Flats.

I have 4 different sets of pads :-

Comfy
Grado Flats
Vwap Flats
Grado Bowls

I almost NEVER listen with the Grado Bowls. I split between the Grado flats and vwap pads depending on music. The vwaps are more suited to vocals and classical...serene music. The Grado Flats have more kick and low end...good for hiphop etc.
tongue.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeRrAPh0eNiX
What's so good about the flats? they're $30..!
eek.gif

They have better bass and smoother highs than the bowls and much better comfort.

Not really practical for the SR60. I would recommend cutting a quarter-sized hole in the center of stock pads of your SR-60,, we did it to Jasper's last week, and it definitely helped the sound and even the comfort (less pad touching the inside part of your ear).

They are definitely the best cans at their price point IMO, kickass for rock/metal, a little rough around the edges, but more detail than some much more expensive cans.

May 11, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Exactly
as I posted yesterday HERE

It's kind hard to imagine different pads (all with big holes in them) having different sounds.
What do the flats look like?
And it's hard to imagine Grado being good for classicals?
confused.gif

It's so dark. Not like the real thing.

For guitar and stuff, it's great though.

May 11, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Yes, money very well spent, but buy the flat, they make the Sr-60 sounds like the voice of God! And i think they are suitable also for classical music, IMO.

Good listening

Andrea

May 11, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 14
SR60s are awesome. Based on my listening experiences they seem to be under-rated here, likely because of the perfectly natural assumption that a more expensive headphone should sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got comfy pads, rat shack pads, Senn HD414 pads, and I've heard the flat pads -- it's all within the realm of reasonable personal preference -- the only big mistake is the wooly cone pads that come with higher Grado models, IMHO.

I feel they sound pretty good with classical, but I'm curious now.... gonna go fire up the system....
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't hear back from me everything was just alright...

Later.
cool.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 14
Seriously, you guys don't think soundstage is really bad?
For me, that's an important thing.

By the end of this summer I'll for sure sell my Grado SR60.
Haha, perhaps one of you guys could buy it.

And comfort, well, we all know.
tongue.gif

But I guess we can't ask for too much for this price range.

May 11, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 14
I had a pair of SR60s for a few years. Overall, I can't give anything but a weak "ehh, they're OK" as far as opinion (I sold them). The cord/cable was a constant hassle, the sound (comfy pads with holes cut in them) was warm and undetailed, and they had no soundstage.... or I should say, they have a "pinpoint tiny" soundstage. I found them to be unremarkable in every way, but that's just me.

May 11, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey, you're a HD580 / HD600 man.... nothing wrong with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I try to cultivate a taste for both, just as part of the hobby.

Okay, time for some music, for real....
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I had a pair of SR60s for a few years. Overall, I can't give anything but a weak "ehh, they're OK" as far as opinion (I sold them). The cord/cable was a constant hassle, the sound (comfy pads with holes cut in them) was warm and undetailed, and they had no soundstage.... or I should say, they have a "pinpoint tiny" soundstage. I found them to be unremarkable in every way, but that's just me.

May 11, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I just bought mine about a week ago. I think it sounds really good- I had the HD580 for a while (sold it because it was too cumbersome and big and wouldn't play loud on my MD portable). I like the fact that my MD player (MZ-NF810) can drive it to more than decent level. I'm also using it for mixing (better than AKG 141 that I was using, though not as detailed). I do find it uncomfortable after awhile- 2 to 3 hrs but so was the HD580 especially in warm weather.
Overall I give it a great rating
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
- great bass, could've been warmer in the midrange, the upper midrange and lower treble is a little forward, the high is extended and there's refinement in the upper end. I also had the SR125 for a short while and the SR60 comes close to the sound of the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back