Ordered Beyer DT-880 Pro 250ohm. Is my X-Fi Titanium PCI-E (non HD) up to the task?
Dec 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Marmeldjuke

New Head-Fier
1994 or so I bought my Sony MDR-CD570 that carried most of my headphone experience up to this day. What I liked most with these were the comfort. For hours upon hours I could listen without any fatigue on my ears or head. The sound quality was fair and today they have become unbalanced with right side playing just slightly louder (or less on the left). Not to mention the ear pads have disintegrated completely. I did order new pads for these as I saw a member here replacing with Superlux pads. Just to be able to carry them another 20 years :)

From I friend I lended a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 (impedance unknown) combined with a nuforce DAC/AMP. Hooked up on USB from my computer I mostly played Battlefield 3 (non competetive) and I was impressed. Some time later I decided I should buy myself a new pair to replace my old Sony and went for the DT 880 Pro.

I have many times engaged (Game Mode) on my X-FI card but it sounds awful and unnatural in my ears. I prefer to listen as close as possible as the designer intended it to. The competetive advantage the "Game Mode" might bring is of no interest to me. I am a believer in reference sound and pictures (My field of expertise also focus on this). The exception is games like battlefield where I could enjoy a tad bit more bass. I stick to "Audio Creation" mode as this seem to best replicate what is actually fed from whatever source material I am listening to.

The past week I did a lot of research here on head-fi. Reading Mad Lust Envys thread on gaming, Battle of the flagships and various threads regarding the X-FI, Asus Essence etc. Including whatever I could find with Google regarding the capabilities of my soundcard. I was not able to find any specificationsmentioning the headphone amplification capabalities on my card.

I believe the DAC in my soundcard is surely of high quality enough but not so sure about the headphone amplification it provides to my new DT880 Pro.

Either a new soundcard with enough amplification or a new amplifier with SPDIF input from my soundcard (Where I could also recieve the "Game Mode" should I desire.

What are your take on this?

/Thank you in advance HeadFI

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 3
  Some time later I decided I should buy myself a new pair to replace my old Sony and went for the DT 880 Pro.
The past week I did a lot of research here on Head-Fi. Reading Mad Lust Envys thread on gaming, Battle of the flagships and various threads regarding the X-FI, Asus Essence etc. Including whatever I could find with Google regarding the capabilities of my soundcard. I was not able to find any specificationsmentioning the headphone amplification capabalities on my card.
I believe the DAC in my sound card is surely of high quality enough but not so sure about the headphone amplification it provides to my new DT880 Pro.
Either a new sound card with enough amplification or a new amplifier with SPDIF input from my sound card (Where I could also recieve the "Game Mode" should I desire.

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm, nice choice in headphones.
The headphone (line-out) output on the Titanium (non-HD) is "ok" for driving regular headphones, but the DT880 are better then regular and are a little more power hungry then regular headphones.
Regular headphones are in the 32-Ohm to 60-Ohm range and the DT880 is 250-Ohm.
The CS4382 DAC chip in the sound card is fairly decent, but you can get sound cards with a better DAC chip starting at $75 (Sound Blaster Z).
Amplifiers (analog) do not come with S/PDIF (digital) inputs, external DACs come with digital input (USN/optical/coaxial), So I'm assuming you were thinking of getting an external DAC/Amp, to plug into the Titanium. Your looking at at least $170 (Audioengine D1) for that external (optical input) DAC/amp.
You could always just get an external amplifier, like the Magni ($99) and plug it straight into the Titanium's headphone output jack, plug the DT880s into the Magni.

For $180 you could get the Sound Blaster ZxR, nice (PCM1794) DAC chip, fairly good amplifier, can drive 600-Ohms headphones decently, so the 250-Ohm headphones will work easily.
You can then sell off the Titanium.
Some even prefer the ZxR's SBX surround sound audio, over the Titanium's CMSS-3D.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 3
  1- Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm, nice choice in headphones.
2- Regular headphones are in the 32-Ohm to 60-Ohm range and the DT880 is 250-Ohm.
3- The CS4382 DAC chip in the sound card is fairly decent, but you can get sound cards with a better DAC chip starting at $75 (Sound Blaster Z).
4- Amplifiers (analog) do not come with S/PDIF (digital) inputs, external DACs come with digital input (USN/optical/coaxial), So I'm assuming you were thinking of getting an external DAC/Amp, to plug into the Titanium. Your looking at at least $170 (Audioengine D1) for that external (optical input) DAC/amp.
5- You could always just get an external amplifier, like the Magni ($99) and plug it straight into the Titanium's headphone output jack, plug the DT880s into the Magni.
6- For $180 you could get the Sound Blaster ZxR, nice (PCM1794) DAC chip, fairly good amplifier, can drive 600-Ohms headphones decently, so the 250-Ohm headphones will work easily.
7- Some even prefer the ZxR's SBX surround sound audio, over the Titanium's CMSS-3D.

1- I believe so. Based on the several months I used a pair of 880 I thought this was the best way to go, since I had no other experience with any other new models of Headphones. I was looking at the AKG "Annies" too and ATH-M50...
2- My current MDR-CD570 is within this impedance range and it seems to function properly. I can play at very loud levels.
3- I wonder if I will be able to hear the difference in different DAC's, maybe because of their implementation in the product compared to my soundcard.
4- Yes, I was thinking of an external amp/DAC. The Audioengine D1 seems interesting. Replacing the soundcard completely. I suppose the Amp in this one is good combo with the DT 880 Pro?
5- Also does the Magni seem attractive due to the total price solution with the DAC in the soundcard (even though it might not be the best one)
6- Buying a new soundcard I am locked to using my PC only for listening... If I bought an Audioengine D1 I would surely bring it with me to enjoy music at friends.

Thank you for your response PurpleAngel.

I am leaning towards the AudioEngine D1, due to its portability/flexibility. 

EDIT: It seems like the Audioengine D1 is very hard to come by here in sweden. Only one retailer list it in stock. I leave for brasil 11th december and hope I could get the equipment with me....It seems there are no distributor for audioengine in Brazil =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back