Ordered a HSU Research STF-2 Subwoofer
Dec 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
Well I finally did it! Been wanting a sub for a while now to go with my av123 elt525monitors. Last night I ordered the stf-2 sub from HSU Research.

My listening will be about 80% music and 20% movies.

Anybody out there use this sub??? Comments???? Is it a good choice for music??

Roger

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 13
agreed. Hsu subs are perhaps the greatest value and quality in subs. I purchased a Dayton HSU8 over @ Part's Express for my nearfield monitoring setup, and it synergizes well with my full range speakers: clean and fast, yet with a lot of oomph

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Congrats on the Hsu. I owned one once and will own again. They are very good and you do not have to wait for them.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for all the feedback guys! According to the tracking # it looks like my sub is scheduled to be delivered on the 23rd!! Gonna be a great Christmas!!!!!!!

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Just wanted to post a quick update:

My Hsu STF-2 sub arrived on the 23rd and I spent Christmas afternnon setting it up. It arrived in perfect condition and was fairly easy to hookup considering it is my first sub. My Marantz pm7001 Integrated amp doesn't have a dedicated sub out connection so I had to run speaker wire from my amp to the sub, and then from the sub to my bookshelve speakers. I used 10 gauge wire from Blue Jeans Cable for this purpose.

I've spent the last day and a half playing all kinds of music and this sub is awesome!!!!!!! Never realized what I was missing not having one! I was concerned about how difficult it would be to integrate into my system but it was no problem at all. Still experimenting with it but that's part of the fun!

If your thinking of getting a sub in the future I highly recommend a Hsu sub. This one is a keeper!!!!!

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to post a quick update:

My Hsu STF-2 sub arrived on the 23rd and I spent Christmas afternnon setting it up. It arrived in perfect condition and was fairly easy to hookup considering it is my first sub. My Marantz pm7001 Integrated amp doesn't have a dedicated sub out connection so I had to run speaker wire from my amp to the sub, and then from the sub to my bookshelve speakers. I used 10 gauge wire from Blue Jeans Cable for this purpose.

I've spent the last day and a half playing all kinds of music and this sub is awesome!!!!!!! Never realized what I was missing not having one! I was concerned about how difficult it would be to integrate into my system but it was no problem at all. Still experimenting with it but that's part of the fun!

If your thinking of getting a sub in the future I highly recommend a Hsu sub. This one is a keeper!!!!!

Hey congrats on the sub! I have an Outlaw Audio sub and I think it shares a similar design as Hsu subs. Anyway, I think your Marantz has pre-outs on the back of it right? If so, all you have to do to hook your sub up is to connect a single rca (right/red) from the pre-out to your sub's input. It's really easy and save on speaker cable mess - although you already did it. All the bass information goes through the right rca. Thought you might want to know.

Have fun with your sub.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey congrats on the sub! I have an Outlaw Audio sub and I think it shares a similar design as Hsu subs. Anyway, I think your Marantz has pre-outs on the back of it right? If so, all you have to do to hook your sub up is to connect a single rca (right/red) from the pre-out to your sub's input. It's really easy and save on speaker cable mess - although you already did it. All the bass information goes through the right rca. Thought you might want to know.

Have fun with your sub.

Hey MatsudaMan!

Thanks for your reply! Actually, that was how I intended to hook it up , but, unfortunately, the HSU stf-2 doesn't have any rca inputs. The stf-3 did(discontinued) but the stf-2 and stf-1 don't. The speaker wire was my only option. Dr. Hsu confirmed this for me by email.

Word of caution.....that 10 awg wire is a bugger to thread into the holes in the posts!! I ordered and received some 12awg wire which I will be using in the future.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Great to hear that you like the HSU Research subwoofer.
I am seriously considering getting a subwoofer myself, to pair up with the K1000. Will look into this one, if I can find it around here...

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey MatsudaMan!

Thanks for your reply! Actually, that was how I intended to hook it up , but, unfortunately, the HSU stf-2 doesn't have any rca inputs. The stf-3 did(discontinued) but the stf-2 and stf-1 don't. The speaker wire was my only option. Dr. Hsu confirmed this for me by email.

Word of caution.....that 10 awg wire is a bugger to thread into the holes in the posts!! I ordered and received some 12awg wire which I will be using in the future.

Thanks!

You don't need rca inputs. All you need is the "Sub in". Just connect a single rca from your right pre-out of the amp into the sub in. It's there, I just checked the website.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm leaning on PB13 Ultra sub from SVS, it out performs big names in sub like sunfire, rel and velos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back