1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Order of buying things

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by cap10 crunch, Apr 5, 2010.
Next

Last
  1. cap10 crunch
    I want to buy k701s in the near future but also want to buy a dac, most likely the dacmagic. I have ad700s and should I buy dac then k701? Or is a 400$ dac pointless for an 80$ pair of hps like I've read about? I know for sure I'm going to buy hp then dac or other way around and then buy an amp to get some bass out of the k701s later on. I listen to a variety anywhere from Claude Debussy to Jay-Z to Gorrilaz etc.

2. Chrome Pumpkin
    Buy the headphones first and get used to how they sound, then get the DAC and the headphones will impress you even more.

3. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Headphones....then amp....then dac....then a better amp....then a better dac....then better headphones.....then better cables....etc.... [​IMG]

4. juanharu4913
    If u dont have an amp atm then the headphones might be useless but if u do have some kinda amp or the 701s will work without one then id go headphones/amp/dac/cables
    If not id go it really doesnt matter witch goes first the amp or the headphones.

5. logwed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Headphones....then amp....then dac....then a better amp....then a better dac....then better headphones.....then better cables....etc.... [​IMG]

I agree with this.

6. SillyHoney
    Get a DAC then get a K701 with amp.

Today my Gamma-2 is delivered! It's my first DAC ever. I could not believe sound can be change that much. If I had known that a DAC is that important I would have never bought a Woo 6 at first.

The Gamma-2 is indeed a hidden gem [​IMG]

7. logwed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Today my Gamma-2 is delivered! It's my first DAC ever. I could not believe sound can be change that much. If I had known that a DAC is that important I would have never bought a Woo 6 at first.

Garbage in, garbage out, goes the old marketing adage. I anxiously await my bank account reaching a point where I can rationalize buying a DACmagic... Still though, buying my GLite was the biggest improvement I've heard up front, it blew me away. My HD650s sounded better, but different and kinda weird compared to my Pro4AATs, but amping the Pro4AATs was just a straight improvement.

8. debitsohn
    my order: headphones, amp, dac, better headphones, better headphones, better headphones, better amp.

9. omniloathe
    if u r using a computer with avg or no dedicated sound card then get a dac asap.

10. angle_sh00ter
    You can't use the dacmagic without an amp so that makes your decision a little easier. I'd say get the phones 1st and then amp and lastly the dac. Better if you can get all at once but for a lot of people it just isn't possible.

11. angle_sh00ter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    my order: headphones, amp, dac, better headphones, better headphones, better headphones, better amp.

QFT
    BTW I got the same musiland as you [​IMG]

12. liat-liat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A very very vicious cycle [​IMG] Enjoy....

13. Ypoknons Contributor
    Well the DACMagic has no headphone out, so you'll need some kind of amp between that and a headphone, even if it's mediocre. If the DAC is a Matrix mini-i or Zero, on the other hand, the headphone out will be competent.

14. Head Injury
    My order: Headphones, amp if hard to drive otherwise DAC, amp or DAC depending on previous purchase, headphones, headphones, and more headphones until a better amp is needed or I'm listening to $1000 headphones out of a $100 DAC.

Headphones definitely gave me the most improvement. Tube amp gave me the biggest sound signature change, in my case for good. DAC did much of what the headphone upgrade did but on a somewhat smaller scale. Cables gave me some peace of mind but little else [​IMG]

Well, maybe. Still might try an A/B test on interconnects sometime, but not anytime soon. It's safe to say they didn't do as much as any other upgrade though.

15. Ypoknons Contributor
    Cables look awesome man. I could totally buy that $500 power cable on looks alone.

Next

Last