Orange County, California -- Get-Togethers / 1-on-1 Auditions / Get to Know Head-fiers
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Kamakahah

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello fellow Southern California Head-fiers. I decided this was the most appropriate place to put this request.

Background/Story:
I'm 29 years old, husband and father of two, and molecular biology major / Jack of many trades. Haven't been on the Head-fi journey very long, just about 18 months with various breaks in between. I've gone from general gaming headphones to budget IEMS, to Ath-M50s, and finally worked my way up to a set of Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs and a Schiit Magni/Modi stack. I've been enjoying them very much, and I just send them in for the 3.0 -> 3.2 upgrade. One of my main reasons for buying the Mad Dogs was excellent isolation to not wake up my family, and they didn't disappoint. Now I'm looking to add to my collection. 

I tried, unsuccessfully so far, to find other CSUF students here on the forums. Hopefully this will open up new doors. 

There are some great looking meets/shows coming up: "The Show" in Newport, and also a Head-Fi meet in the Los Angeles area coming up. I'm hoping to be able to make it out to one, if not both. However, it might not be possible. So...

Purpose(s):

1. I'm looking to audition various Headphones/IEMs/Equipment that I'm considering for my next purchase. 

2. It would be nice to get to know some of the Orange County, (Fullerton*), and other Southern California Head-fiers.

3. Learn from others and experience music in different ways.

4. Anyone could use this page to meet one on one, group get-together, or small parties around Orange County.
    ***not to setup full blow meets.
    I'd like this to be an ongoing page for all rather than just a one time event for myself.

Where/When/How:

Where -- I'm located in the Laguna/Mission Viejo areas of South Orange County, CA.
              We could meet in public places such as Starbucks, Campuses, etc. Meeting at someones home is fine as long as they
              are comfortable. Anywhere we can make it work is good for me.
              ***(Also, personal to myself, I'm on campus at CSUF in Fullerton, CA each week and would love to meet Head-fiers in
              that area as well)

When -- Many of us are busy, myself included, so times and dates will have to be worked out on an individual basis. 

How -- Feel free to post here if you are able/interested. Also, feel free to list any gear you are comfortable with letting others
           audition, as well as any gear that you would like to audition. 
           Additionally, feel free to PM me.

Looking forward to meeting any/all those that are interested!

UPCOMING MINI-MEET:  Please Post/PM if attending & the gear you'll be bringing.

Date: TBD
Time: TBD
Location: Currently, University of California Irvine. May change depending on availability. 

List of attendees/Have show interest:

1. Kamakahah
2. OJNeg
3. j0val
4. zyzyx
5. Tundramystic
6. Max598
7. doremusc
8. Johnman1116

List of Gear: (more to come)

Headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm
HiFiman HE400
KEF M500
Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs v3.2
Sennheiser HE598
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser Momentum
Vmoda M80

IEMs:
Etymotic MC5

Amps:
AMB CKKIII
Bottlehead Crack
C&C BH (Portable)
Emotiva Mini-x a-100
Magni
O2
Xonar Essence one

Sources:
Clip+ rockboxed (portable)
Modi
ODAC
Xonar essence one

Other:
Emotiva Airmotiv 4

May 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 105
List of gear that I'm looking to audition in preparation for my next purchase:

Headphones:
  1. Sennheiser HD650/600/598
  2. AKG K702 65th Anniversary / Q701 / K702 / K550
  3. HiFiman HE-400/500
  4. LCD 2.x
  5. Grado sr60i/80i/125i/225i, etc

IEMs (Universal or Custom)

Any. Always looking to compare.

Equipment:

Tube amps in particular. 
Again, anything. Desktop or portable. 

For Fun/Experience:

Anything/Everything.

Johnman1116:

"I looked around campus but most of the rooms are pretty small and I think the last location is best.

I didnt know what time to do so I booked it from 11 to 3 but we can have it until 5:30. someone has it then.

hopefully these are helpful:

highway 405, exit culver, left on campus, left onto arroyo (stop signs), left into vista del campo NORTE

Pay for parking ($2 per hour). machine is at the farside of the vistors parking
As you as you enter (become under) the building, look for an elevator to your left (or find the stairs around the corner). 2nd Floor.

May 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 105
I spend half the week in south OC and would be happy to participabe but, of course there is always a but, little of my stuff is portable....have an ancient audiio tech tube headphone amp on my nightstand in San Diego driving higiman he-500's.....bad set up for a coffee shop......have schiit bifrost/lyr set on my PC, also not too portable.....will try to duck in on the thread in a few days to see what develops........JB

May 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 105
I spend half the week in south OC and would be happy to participabe but, of course there is always a but, little of my stuff is portable....have an ancient audiio tech tube headphone amp on my nightstand in San Diego driving higiman he-500's.....bad set up for a coffee shop......have schiit bifrost/lyr set on my PC, also not too portable.....will try to duck in on the thread in a few days to see what develops........JB

They would be hard to travel with. I'd still love to hear those HE-500. I could bring laptop + M/M stack to see how they sound on my setup.

May 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 105
lol i live in lake forest.... I would also love to test out some headphones for my future purchases. I'm very down if there is an orange county meetup.I can bring the some of my gear too if anyone wants to try something.

May 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:
lol i live in lake forest.... I would also love to test out some headphones for my future purchases. I'm very down if there is an orange county meetup.I can bring the some of my gear too if anyone wants to try something.

Oh, I see you have some cans that I've been curious about: AD900X, DT990, and the M-80. 

May 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 105
I know one place we might be able to meet, but I'll look into a couple others.

May 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 105
UCI undergrad here. I'd be down for a meet up some time.

I could bring:

1. Audio Technica ATH-A900
  2. Etymotic MC5
  3. AMB CKK (Still finishing this project actually)

Planning on purchasing an HD600 or HD650 for myself in the near-future. Hopefully I can get another chance to demo them at THE Newport to make up my mind once and for all.

I can also bring some of my speaker gear if you guys are interested. Wouldn't be too hard to setup on someone's desk because it's a computer/near-field setup. Namely my Overnight Sensations and my Parasound Zamp. I have a nice Marantz SACD player as well
biggrin.gif

Are you guys planning to do this sometime over the summer?

May 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 105
UCI undergrad here. I'd be down for a meet up some time.

I could bring:

• Audio Technica ATH-A900
  • Etymotic MC5
  • AMB CKK (Still finishing this project actually)

Planning on purchasing an HD600 or HD650 for myself in the near-future. Hopefully I can get another chance to demo them at THE Newport to make up my mind once and for all.

I can also bring some of my speaker gear if you guys are interested. Wouldn't be too hard to setup on someone's desk because it's a computer/near-field setup. Namely my Overnight Sensations and my Parasound Zamp. I have a nice Marantz SACD player as well :D

Are you guys planning to do this sometime over the summer?

It's whenever we want/can. What day are you going to "the show"?

Since your at UCI, does their library have study rooms that are separate and able to be reserved? That might be a possible meeting place if they do.

They do at CSUF, but I'm not looking to drag anyone up there.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 105
Absolutely. There are no set dates or requirements. Anyone that wants to meet up can post here and make it happen. I'm always down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back